Honored Contributor

Advice please: growing out natural nails

I removed my pink & white gels for almost 2 months now, replaced with shellac nail polish. This shellac peels off & my nails are a total mess. Suggestions please on what or how to get my nails back to good condition. Thank you!
Trusted Contributor

Re: Advice please: growing out natural nails

Skip the polish for a while and rub coconut oil into them several times a day.

Honored Contributor

Good luck I have never been successful, I always go back to wraps

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

You may get good nail buffer and gently buff your nails and cuticles once in a while. Treat cuticles with nice essential oil, tea tree, argan oil, maybe there will be some other useful suggestions for good oil. Even without anything else, your nails will look clean and healthy again soon. Like young girl's nails. Good thing about nails is they do grow out fast!

Respected Contributor

I was a die-hard acrylic wearer for 10 years because I would compulsively bite and pick at my nails without the acrylic. After a really bad refill, I had to take them off, but the manicurist I went to didn't have time to put on a new set. So she gave me a regular manicure and scheduled me the following week for a new set. That was 4 years and I'm still sporting my natural nails. Here are my secrets for getting them healthy and keeping them healthy: -Keep your nails relatively short. Mine are pretty flush with the tip of my finger. 2 coats of Citra Nail Strengthener, formula #2 or Duri Rejuvacote. 2 coats of nail polish, preferably Essie, OPI, or Zoya. 1 coat of deborah Lippmann addicted to speed or Seche Vite quick drying topcoat (not the best ingredients but it dries to a hard, strong finish super fast). CND Solar Oil - a little bit on each cuticle every night. If I feel I don't need the Citra, I use one coat of Zoya Anchor basecoat. I typically get 6-8 days chip free (and I cook/do dishes 4-5 times a week.). I get shellac/gel manis once in a while. They claim to be undamaging to nails. The polish itself might not be damaging but the removal process, and excessive buffing that they do to get it off both before and after soaking in acetone, is very rough on the nail. So I typicalky stick with Essie or OPI, and doing my own nails.
Esteemed Contributor

It took a while after I took off my nails and when I tried shellac I realized it can also cause damage.

All you can do is stop everything and let them grow out for a while. It is a nasty process to wait it out, but they will come back. An oil treatment a couple of times a day helps. No polish or remover which can be drying.

Contributor

You know recently my nails were terrible, they were splitting, peeling and breaking, I told my husband I was ready to have gel nails applied, he knows how I hate the time and expense of these not to mention what they do to your natural nails. Bless his heart he talked to the lady who does our hair and she suggested biotin supplements. I was skeptical, but it has been two weeks and I am amazed! Not only are they growing faster, but the damage I had is gone! Give it a try!
Honored Contributor

Thank you I have no patience just like when I was growing my angle cut hair style -- yup called that hairdresser w/in 2 months cut it please! I'm going tomorrow for just a plain manicure and I hope I have the willpower (since they split, hurt, & just plain ugggggly hands) to not go back to gels!!! Thanks for the tips on products.
Contributor

I am going to watch this thread, would love to know what you try and if it works for you. Really give the biotin a try, the ones my husband bought are fast dissolve and cherry flavored ymmmm. I guess it is like a form of vitamin B.
Honored Contributor

On 3/17/2015 Kelseys Mimi said: You know recently my nails were terrible, they were splitting, peeling and breaking, I told my husband I was ready to have gel nails applied, he knows how I hate the time and expense of these not to mention what they do to your natural nails. Bless his heart he talked to the lady who does our hair and she suggested biotin supplements. I was skeptical, but it has been two weeks and I am amazed! Not only are they growing faster, but the damage I had is gone! Give it a try!

With all due respect, you are dreaming if you think biotin has improved your nails in 2 weeks. There's no scientific proof it does anything in any length of time. if it did work! it would take several months to show improvement. I took massive doses of it for over a year, and it did absolutely nothing. Others have reported similar results.

Nails go to he// in a hand basket in the winter with the drying heat and cold. The best thing you can do is keep your nails well moisturized with some kind of oil or rich cuticle cream. Many people use a nail hardener. My favorite is Nailtiques Formula 2. I've tried others but they weren't so effective.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment