Frequent Contributor

Re: Advice please: growing out natural nails

There is a new nail treatment in the professional marketplace, i.e., manicurists, called IBX NAIL STRENGTHENER. You can go their website to see if there is a manicurist in your area that uses it. It goes on the natural nail & penetrates the nail to strengthen it. Good Luck!!

Respected Contributor

I went through the same thing. My nails were even lifting from the nail bed because of years of acrylics and silk wraps and gel. What worked beautifully for me was biotin ( I have taken it for 3 years now) but also nothing on my nails except oil or hand cream. Keep them short and no polish or anything on nails except for social occasions. It took about a year but 9 nails are perfect...one still has some lifting.

Esteemed Contributor

I have used ""Nail Magic"" for 30 years and swear by it for healthy nails. Agree with the above poster ~ skip the colored nail polish for a while. It just draws attention to your nails. Keep the cuticles healthy.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

When I had the gel fill taken off for good, it took 6 months for the damage to my nails grow out.

I used Revlon Post Trauma Nail Treatment and kept them really short until the damage was gone.

Honored Contributor

After acrylic coatings on my nails for years, they were thin and awful but by using TIPS, they strengthened and looked good in about a month. I got a fungus infection on one nail and was told by my doctor that that nail would never grow in right but low and behold that one was restored using TIPS.

Super Contributor

On 3/17/2015 Kachina624 said:
On 3/17/2015 Kelseys Mimi said: You know recently my nails were terrible, they were splitting, peeling and breaking, I told my husband I was ready to have gel nails applied, he knows how I hate the time and expense of these not to mention what they do to your natural nails. Bless his heart he talked to the lady who does our hair and she suggested biotin supplements. I was skeptical, but it has been two weeks and I am amazed! Not only are they growing faster, but the damage I had is gone! Give it a try!

With all due respect, you are dreaming if you think biotin has improved your nails in 2 weeks. There's no scientific proof it does anything in any length of time. if it did work! it would take several months to show improvement. I took massive doses of it for over a year, and it did absolutely nothing. Others have reported similar results.

Nails go to he// in a hand basket in the winter with the drying heat and cold. The best thing you can do is keep your nails well moisturized with some kind of oil or rich cuticle cream. Many people use a nail hardener. My favorite is Nailtiques Formula 2. I've tried others but they weren't so effective.

Actually, she's not dreaming. I have had wonderful results taking a Biotin supplement. My nails dramatically improved in about three weeks time, are growing like crazy and look great. The proof is in the results which I also have had. Sorry it didn't work for you. It's a fantastic and inexpensive way to go for good nails.

Frequent Contributor

Dear HomeDecor1,

After reading all the replies I almost didn't add mine, and then decided I should.

I have healthy nails but they never looked good enough for me......truth is I was lazy and the only way to get them all to look the same (at the same time) were acrylics. 10 years later, with no complaints about the appointments or the $$$, I had to have surgery on my thumb so I decided to have them removed (by the same nail tech that had been doing my nails). It was a shock to see what they looked like underneath, peeling and dull, not a pretty sight. I even photo'd my nails each week to see the progress I anticipated. I too came to this forum looking for help, and as always the ladies came through for me.

Home Decor1 I tried every product out there....and they all worked to some degree, some better than others, but what I learned was you need patience! I know you said it is difficult for you. It really does take about a year, be faithful in your treatment, keep them moisturized, creamed and polished with a good product. Keep them trimmed, they seem to grow faster if you clip them as the 'dry old nail' grows out. I ultimately had great results with QVC's ProFormula (their file is wonderful) and now use it all the time. There's no magic, just time and you will see that once again you will have the nails you love.

Honored Contributor

Shawn was raving about Perfect Gel Coat Formula (I think that's the name) working well after years of acrylics last night. Has anyone tried it?

When I quit the acrylics I just let my nails breathe for a while with nothing on them.

Super Contributor

Well, I use Biotin and have for years. My nails are strong and grow fast. I wore silk wraps for years back in the 90's and wrecked my nails. I also always use OPI's soft and thin treatment for nails as a base coat and top coat. It works for me and I'm almost 74.

Super Contributor

I swear by Qtica Natural Nail Growth stimulator (it also hardens and hydrates) and the Cuticle Repair Balm.