Super Contributor

Advice on How to Layer New Products in Skin Care Routine

Oh, the trauma of making decisions. {#emotions_dlg.blink}

I had the choice of bumping an old thread (not looked on kindly) or starting a new one. Hope I made the right choice. Be gentle with me.

Instead of relying on just a few products marketed by a big name brand, I've chosen to purchase multiple products - from PC & NCN - which target specific issues. That leaves me with the issue of figuring out the best way to layer and to decide if any are am or pm specific.

I know the logical thing is to email NCN where I bought my recent stash. Apparently they recently moved and phone cs has been suspended and my emails have not been answered (I rather believe they're floating out in the cloud somewhere......nanci prides herself on cs).

These are my current products. I would appreciate help on sequencing their application. SusyQ, I read your reply in the "Retinol" thread. TY Smiley Happy

I follow Paula's suggestions to Cleanse.....Tone.....Exfoliate......Treatments.......Moisturize. The issue is how to layer the treatments.

1. Vitamin C+ Serum With Vit. E, Ferulic Acid & Glutathione (am only)

2. Skin Tight Lifting Elixir

3. GHK-Cu Copper Peptide With EGF Formula I

4. Multi-Active Accelerator Oily/Acne Skin (formerly CP Accelerator)

5. RESIST Weekly Retexturizing Foaming Treatment 4% BHA (1x weekly at night)

6. RESIST Super-Light Wrinkle Defense SPF 30 (moisturizer - last step)

7. Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Gel Exfoliant (use 6x weekly am & pm)

8. RESIST BHA 9 for Stubborn Imperfections (use only at night)

9. RESIST Ultra-Light Super Antioxidant Concentrate Serum (use am & pm)

I bow to those of you out there who understand how all these ingredients mix. Feel free to tell me if I'm overdoing something and need to cut back............or if I've missed something important. Thank you!!!

Kiss

Super Contributor

Re: Advice on How to Layer New Products in Skin Care Routine

Any help??????

Trusted Contributor

An honest comment: I feel genuinely sorry for anyone who feels they need to buy and use this number of skincare products. A delusion and a waste.

You're overdoing everything, and yes, you need to cut back. Why not simplify to a gentle cleanser and a moisturizer with sunscreen. Bam. You're done.

{#emotions_dlg.sad}

Esteemed Contributor

I would start off with cleansing, toning then using your exfoliants and then the treatments from thinnest to thickest and then moisturize.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

On 3/13/2014 GoodStuff said:

An honest comment: I feel genuinely sorry for anyone who feels they need to buy and use this number of skincare products. A delusion and a waste.

You're overdoing everything, and yes, you need to cut back. Why not simplify to a gentle cleanser and a moisturizer with sunscreen. Bam. You're done.

{#emotions_dlg.sad}

Because for someone who really wants to take care of their skin simply using a cleanser moisturizer isn't enough. You need products that have cell communicating ingredients, antioxidants and peptides to get the best effects in skin care. They want to properly exfoliate their skin and put products on their skin that fight past damage such as sun damage and maximize their skins collagen production and what you listed doesn't do it.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Trusted Contributor

On 3/13/2014 Irshgrl31201 said:

You're overdoing <em>everything,</em> and yes, you need to cut back. Why not simplify to a gentle cleanser and a moisturizer with sunscreen. Bam. You're done.

{#emotions_dlg.sad}

Because for someone who really wants to take care of their skin simply using a cleanser moisturizer isn't enough. You need products that have cell communicating ingredients, antioxidants and peptides to get the best effects in skin care. They want to properly exfoliate their skin and put products on their skin that fight past damage such as sun damage and maximize their skins collagen production and what you listed doesn't do it.

They have you in their clutches, but good. You've swallowed the whole complicated, expensive, magic-from-our-skincare-scientists spiel.......hook, line, and sinker.

Esteemed Contributor

You're overdoing <em>everything,</em> and yes, you need to cut back. Why not simplify to a gentle cleanser and a moisturizer with sunscreen. Bam. You're done.

{#emotions_dlg.sad}

They have you in their clutches, but good. You've swallowed the whole complicated, expensive, magic-from-our-skincare-scientists spiel.......hook, line, and sinker. Probably past saving, sad to say.

LOL.. I am not in anyones clutches. I spend probably less than most people here. I work as an aesthetician for derms and I spend less than $100 a year on skin care products. I know which ingredients actually have the power to cause change to their skin. There are products out there that absolutely do produce collagen and help reverse skin damage from sun and environmental factors. If you are happy with just cleanser and moisturizer good for you, but you are absolutely NOT getting all the benefits you can from that and that is simply a fact.

JFK
Respected Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.sad}

They have you in their clutches, but good. You've swallowed the whole complicated, expensive, magic-from-our-skincare-scientists spiel.......hook, line, and sinker. Probably past saving, sad to say.

You get that you are on a BEAUTY board, right?? So many if not most of us want to do more than cleanse and moisturize, in order to keep ourselves looking our BEST. If you want to use cleanser and moisturizer, then knock yourself out. But don't be rude to those who want to do more to try to make themselves look and feel their best, and combat the effects of aging. The poster was simply asking a question (one that I'm sure many people have, believe it or not), and doesn't really need a lecture from you about how ridiculous it is that she uses more than TWO products. For the OP, I think Irish had good advice. I don't know about some of the products, but I think starting with the exfoliants and then going thin to thick works well. If you get pilling with MU or the last layers, it could be from not letting them absorb enough or enough time between layers, or too many layers. You might not have that problem, but some do with several layers, so I just thought I'd throw that out there. Good luck! Smiley Wink
Honored Contributor

On 3/13/2014 FUTURE said:

{#emotions_dlg.sad}

You get that you are on a BEAUTY board, right?? So many if not most of us want to do more than cleanse and moisturize, in order to keep ourselves looking our BEST. If you want to use cleanser and moisturizer, then knock yourself out. But don't be rude to those who want to do more to try to make themselves look and feel their best, and combat the effects of aging. The poster was simply asking a question (one that I'm sure many people have, believe it or not), and doesn't really need a lecture from you about how ridiculous it is that she uses more than TWO products. For the OP, I think Irish had good advice. I don't know about some of the products, but I think starting with the exfoliants and then going thin to thick works well. If you get pilling with MU or the last layers, it could be from not letting them absorb enough or enough time between layers, or too many layers. You might not have that problem, but some do with several layers, so I just thought I'd throw that out there. Good luck! Smiley Wink

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

On 3/13/2014 FUTURE said:

{#emotions_dlg.sad}

I agree. She could have too much there layered on if she does get pilling. I do my cleansing then use my BHA in the morning, then my PC Vit C (which I have been loving and seeing a real brightening in my skin), then my PC serum and my moisturizer. In the summer I couldn't add anymore layers because of humidity here. At night my only change is I use Alpha Hydrox AHA 14% gel after my BHA. A couple times a week I use Retin A instead of AHA.

JFK