Honored Contributor

Re: Advice - Spray Tan or Home Tan (for Vacation)

Spray tans can be very nice and they can also be horrible.  I had one done once and it was horrendous.  It was all streaky and mottled looking at my wrists and ankles and the color wasn't that nice either.  A friend of mine had one done elsewhere it it looked beautiful.

I myself have the best luck with tanners in a spray can that you spray on and just let sit.  I think it's the rubbing in that causes the streaking.  I only do my legs because they are much whiter than the rest of me. 

I didn't have good luck with Tan Towels at all.  In fact, I know I'm in the minority but they were one of the worst tanning products I have ever used. The smell was horrendous, the color was awful, it wore off very unevenly and made me looks speckled.     

Respected Contributor

@151949

I totally know what you mean, i am NOT looking for a dark tan at all, I lost over 100lbs 25 years ago, now that I am older, well that skin just doesn't look that great, I am very toned and in shape but I just feel better with a HINT of color on my arms and legs, I live in a colder climate so shorts and tanks are foreign to me so adding a tiny bit of warmth to my skin just picks me up a bit and allows for me to wear them without feeling like I need to cover myself up  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SandGirl, I have done both but in recent years have just gone back to the my self tanning at home. The salon that I use started spray tans years ago and I was the guinea pig to try out any new product. They were experimenting with different brands etc. A spray tan is definitely quicker. I really did not think that my spray tan lasted any longer than my in home version. The spray tan definitely went on more evenly. For a special occasion I would probably recommend the spray tan. BTW I used Tan Towels years ago. I know many people love them. However, if you have any freckling, the towels really grabs the spots giving orange spots. The other downside I found was they dried my skin out horribly. 

Honored Contributor

I have done the spray tan where you stand in the booth, and stopped because of the health issue.  You can't hold your breath indeffinately, and that stuff hangs in the air which of course, isn't good for the lungs.

I just want a little color, and use San Tropez in the white bottle with the turq writing.  I am an extremely light olive and this is one of the only products that doesn't turn orange on me.  It also doesn't have that yuck odor.  I apply in a circular motion with the light weight foam mitt they send and everyone (really) thinks it's real.

http://www.qvc.com/St-Tropez-Set-of-2-8-oz-Classic-Self-Tan-Mousse-with-Mitts.product.A282334.html?s...