New Contributor

Re: Advice Please--Home Hair Coloring

Pharaoh: YES!!!!! the supposedly safe Epic rice based powder completely made me breakout. I think the company didn't believe me when I told them. But I know it caused a breakout. I stopped using it immediately. by the way, I stumbled onto Lancôme Miracle foundation and Not only does thebcolor match perfectly, but NO PIMPLESS! And though it has chemicals I am sure, it doesn't break me out, lasts all day but washes off easily, is a good color match, has a pump on the bottle . . . Loving it! After researching online so went in to try a sample of Origins and no one was t that particular counter. the Lancôme Rep. Came over and we tried a few colors but they were obviously not good for me. I told her my problem and she offered in a low pressure way to show me the Landome Miracle foundation. she tried three or four colors on my jaw and we picked one and I actually bought a bottle! no sample. I hate malls and shopping. Especially for makeup. I was so happy that it worked. I am on my second bottle now and loving it. Also, My hair ended up ok. It is still a bit too red BUT it is not to light and red. I waited two days before re coloring.
New Contributor

By the way: Marian is my 'new' name and mkcw was my former name ??
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, you can color your hair twice in one day. I've done it plenty of times with success.
Super Contributor

My mom colors my hair with Revlon Colorsilk every month ( the color fades quickly, but you can't beat the price). My mom only colors the roots, since my reason for coloring is grey coverage. I don't pull the color out to the ends, so it doesn't get so dry. Light Brown is a neutral color that works on my light to medium brown hair ( I have a hairstyle similar to Jill Bauer's, but my color is lighter). Before finding my ideal color and color method, I would correct a color by washing with shampoo that takes chlorine out of your hair. Permanent color also fades.

Frequent Contributor

A hairdresser on Rachel Ray gave tips on coloring hair at home. She said do roots first and in the last ten minutes put it on the ends to prevent over dye on the ends. She also said to put color on comb, then comb through hair for a more natural look. Also never flatten your hair while coloring but fluff it up while color is doing its thing. Good luck!
Honored Contributor

I've done it. I think I waited 24-36 hours (not by design, just based on time constrictions). I was using an ammonia-free hair color that doesn't leave my hair dry and noticed no difference in my hair after the second color application. I wouldn't make a habit of it, but I saw no adverse effects.

Esteemed Contributor

To eliminate the red, get a color that has ash in the name.

Honored Contributor

I home colored my hair since my twenties. I always used L'Oreal Preference because it is stronger than its Excellence line. And I always used an "ash" tone because I did not like the red either. I used Light Ash Brown most of my life. When I was letting the white grow in, I used Light Ash Blonde so the difference wouldn't be so obvious. Both colors always came out darker on me than what was shown on the box. And I always only used half a box at a time.

And yes, there were a few times that I colored my hair only a couple of days after having colored it and it looked wrong somehow. I wouldn't do it often though.

I have to say that since I stopped coloring my hair (years now) it has never been so healthy and shiny. I use no product at all on my hair.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Super Contributor

Ford1224....thanks for the scripture at the bottom of your page. I was having a very hard day today and reading to get my mind off of things...your page really encouraged my heart.

Thank you so much.

Esteemed Contributor