Frequent Contributor

Advice Please--Home Hair Coloring

I colored my hair today and think it is too light and too red. I used Loreal Excellence Medium Brown Natural. I usually (every 3-4 months) use the same brand but in Dark Brown Natural. Really my natural color is a tad lighter than the dark brown, but when it mellows, it is close to my real color. anyway, I thought perhaps going a bit lighter might soften up my look. Am 48 and seeing more wrinkles etc. . . My question: Can I dye my hair tonight with the Drak Brown? I realize it might cause my hair to be a bit more dry and I'll have to condition. But is there a reason (or reasons) why I shouldn't? Thank you in advance for your help.
Frequent Contributor

Re: Advice Please--Home Hair Coloring

My advice would be to call the number on the box for information regarding adding more color to your hair to prevent a questionable outcome. I have had several unpleasant situations trying to save money but caused more damage as now I only leave coloring to professionals. Good luck!!
Honored Contributor

You can color your hair twice on the same day with no problems. Professional colorists have do it all of the time.

People who have light blonde hair and wish to go dark first get a red color. Once that color is on, the hair is dried and the dark color is applied over the red.

Always apply color to dry hair, never wet tot he best results.

Be sure to protect the skin around your hairline. Sometimes too much color on the same day will irritate the skin.

Trusted Contributor

You might want to sleep on it... lol You might like the change tomorrow after seeing yourself a few times. Sometimes a lighter shade is better the older we get. On the other hand...if you know you don't like it... You can color it twice in the same day.
Frequent Contributor

You can also try doing a small chunk at the base of your neck and see how it goes. I might be a little concerned about all that processing like that but I'd probably do the same thing.

Have you tried highlights? That can help soften your look. Or even a new style. I'm your age and been dealing with this too. Last year I had long hair with deep layers. It looked sorta amazing esp since I did my own ombré ... sorta accidentally.

This may be more than you're interested in doing but if it works at the base of your neck, maybe just pull out some chunks around your face and do your own lowlights.

Edit: I have an amazing hairdresser and he knows I do this stuff and it looks so good there's no sense in paying him to do it ... so it's hairdresser approved Smiley Wink
Frequent Contributor

I thank each of you for your advice. I really appreciate it. Best Dressed: Seeing how it is 9:55 pm here, I will sleep on it and see what I think it in the morning? My husband came home from work and said nothing, so I don't think he even noticed a change. Karenintx: I once gave myself a few highlights right around my face using a lighter shade hair color. I played it so safe I don't think they were noticeable to anyone but me. And once I had highlights professionally done. I like them a lot but was not willing to pay the money to keep it up. I got a chuckle from the accidentally ombré :-) The things we go through! I accept that I am getting older and my face is changing, but I am struggling with makeup and hair now to look my best. I finally solved my sudden onset of terrible acne with proactiv plus. And I finally found a new foundation that works for my skin now---Lancome Miracle Teint. I am experimenting with eyeliner and shadow. I used to only where brown liner. Now that sometimes seems harsh or I feel like it highlights my wrinkles . . . OK so I am off topic of hair color. but I just want my hair to look nice. It am so used to dark brown, maybe I need to spend a day or so with it as is and see. But I am thinking I will probably color it dark brown then if that goes well think about highlights---nothing drastic. I just wonder if now that my hair is lighter, will the dark brown turn out even darker than it would have had I used it today? Does that make sense? Is my hair very porous now so it will pick up even more of the dark color? I think a test on a small chunk at the base of my neck sounds like a good idea . . . OK, too tired now to think anymore about it :-) Thank you ladies!
Frequent Contributor

Apologies for posting in the wrong place . . . I thought I was posting in Beauty Banter. I am not sure the specific 'mission' or focus of Beauty with Benefits. But thanks again for the advice ??
Super Contributor

I completely understand, as I have felt my hair color is too dark, and with my complexion losing pigment, I feel I look washed out. So, on the advice a colorist and the young woman who cuts my hair, I have begun to mix my current shade with the next lightest color. It's not a drastic change as I color the new growth, but I think I am headed in the right direction. We also discussed getting few highlights every few months, and I am going to do that. I think I am saving a lot of money by coloring my hair myself, and I am worth it, haha!. Seriously, though, like you, I want my hair to look nice. I notice how a good hair cut and color makes for an attractive appearance. .

From what you've written, It sounds as though you have gone only one shade lighter. It 's funny how we want to change, but then play it too safe.That's good advice to sleep on it and maybe you will like it in the morning.

If you decide to color it again, definitely call the 800 number.

Frequent Contributor

So true Cantdrive 55! So true! I want a change but I play it safe because status quo seems better than a possible huge disaster. ha! well I am typing this in my bathroom with the dark brown color on my head right now. I will let you all know how it goes. I slept on it and decided that lighter was OK but the tone was not flattering for my complexion. So I will try to go back to more of my natural color but getting rid of the all amount of gray (hopefully) and then maybe do subtle highlights later. one thing at a time.Thank you all!
Not applicable

On 1/23/2015 mkcw said: Apologies for posting in the wrong place . . . I thought I was posting in Beauty Banter. I am not sure the specific 'mission' or focus of Beauty with Benefits. But thanks again for the advice ??

I'm totally hijacking here! mkcw...i saw an old post that i cant reply to. i was looking up rice powder to see if it caused breakouts and saw you posted the same thing...and my product was from the same company! epic minerals. just started using the mineral veil two days ago and am seeing breakout. what did you finally decide? like you the internet will drive you crazy. yes it causes breakout, no it doesnt!