Honored Contributor

Re: Advice: Is it ever OK to tell someone they smell?

I think that you need to just straight up say to this guy that he has an odor...it is better for him to know as far as his career goes and it is better for your relationship if you can be honest.I would say to him that there are certain days when he doesn't smell as wonderful as most days and that you care about him and thought he should know this.

Honored Contributor

either break up with this guy and tell him why or tell him 

I think I would have been done a year ago

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@TiqueThanks for the kind words. (That was the first time I've thought about that stench. Strange that it would be shared on a Forum, isn't it? Actually, I glad my family doesn't know about it. So glad you were here to listen to me recall that painful time. If it helps the OP, it's worth the memories.)

That was a lesson well learned at a very young age. Not sure many of us would have handled it much differently in our 20's; that's something we cannot answer until placed in the position. On the other hand, I doubt she transferred to another department because of that incident. She was obviously very competent and was deserving of another promotion. Sorry she didn't have the power to understand your youth and forgive. Her loss. You gained from that experience. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

I think men's hygiene slacks off as they get older. He probably doesn't realize he smells. If you smell it, rest assured other people he works with smell it too. I think hearing this news by someone he loves, even though his feelings will be hurt, is better coming from you than someone at work, or worse people talking behind his back. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I think men's hygiene slacks off as they get older. He probably doesn't realize he smells. If you smell it, rest assured other people he works with smell it too. I think hearing this news by someone he loves, even though his feelings will be hurt, is better coming from you than someone at work, or worse people talking behind his back. 

I agree with this post. All I know that if I was the one that had an odor, I would certainly want my husband to tell me so I could correct it. I would kill him if he didn't think enough of me to let me know.

Honored Contributor

I guess this depends on your relationship with him. I was noticing my DH had a terrible odor and I finally decided it may be from him taking fish oil caps every day. It just seemed he smelled this way even though he showers twice a day , every day.I finally talked it over with him and he stopped taking the fish oil and bought some spray on body deodorant for men. He is back to smeling fine again. I really think it was those fish oil caps.

Valued Contributor

This is risky, been my experience after 56 years, men don’t want you to tell them anything they “ might do wrong” they are NEVER wrong! Lol!

Honored Contributor

Incontinency issue perhaps.  

Trusted Contributor

Hmmm, maybe you could say "something smells bad - you think you might have stepped on something?  Could you check your shoes?"  

You could even do that again the next time it occurred. Maybe that would give him the chance to recognize that there is a bad smell without embarrassing him or suggesting it is his body.

If he doesn't get I think (maybe he doesn't notice the smell at all) I'm not sure what I would do.  For me this would be a deal breaker because I am pretty aware of odor and how people smell in general, and that would greatly influence my attraction to someone.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Only if it is your spouse or child....  I mean if you are living with someone in the same home, and they are your relatives... you can be more honest... with other people... not so sure it is a good idea.

I do find that some people just STINK  to me.. when I was working, some people smelled awful.. chemistry.. diet...  wearing diapers as adults maybe?  So many things.

A boyfriend... hmmm that is a tough one.

I would not marry someone who made me gag....  and to say to someone you are dating you smell bad is going to really either break your relationship up, or maybe he will want to fix it for you. Love is an amazing thing....