Valued Contributor

Re: Adult breakouts --- I could use your recommendations!

Angel, according to my derm, breakouts specific to the chin are almost always hormone related, which is why they often happen for us women over 40 or so. It's all related to our changing hormone levels/ratios. Whenever it has happened to me, I use a dab of Mario Badescu's pink drying lotion, followed by a dab of drying cream at night. By morning, the pimple is greatly reduced or completely gone.

Contributor

It has been my experience that your skin is a reflection of your gut health. Try getting on a good probiotic, adding digestive enzymes and removing dairy..this did wonders for me Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

On 12/11/2014 ThinkOutsideTheBox said:

Best thing for ME for zits like you describe has been Buzz On Acne, which I discovered two years ago on this board. If I start to get those pimples, I spray BOA on and gently pat into the skin. It works immediately. No excess drying and no sensitivity...for me. I am 48...had oily acneic skin most of my life, but no pimples now. I make sure to spray it on my whole face and allow to dry before I aply my moisturizer and cosmetics on the days that I wear makeup as well.

You and me both! Buzz on Acne Spray cleared up my chin over 5 years ago. Now BOA is my daily preventative, plus my skin just really likes the anti-aging properties.

And it doesn't sound like a shingles rash to me at all. And if you've (OP and collective you) have had nodular "undergrounder" chin zits in the past, you know what they feel like. Can be very sore. I had them off and on all throughout my 40s and 50s. I'm 65 now and I can't recommend BOA highly enough.

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Super Contributor

I had very nice skin all my life even in my teen years, through adulthood. All my friends in high school used to moan about their acne and tell me how lucky I was not to have it. I had a blemish sometimes but not acne. My skin was relatively clear unil I had my last baby and a few days after delivery my skin broke out terribly! I was nursing of course so I could not take prescription drugs for it and had to be careful with what I used on my face. My previously normal skin became oily and I have had problems with it ever since! I started using Proactiv not long after that and it helped a lot. I have used it off and on for many years.

I will sometimes try different moisturizers, because I like a light one, but I find I only need to use one a few times a week, if that. I love the Proactiv toner, but I am not really a fan of their moisturizers. I don't know why they just seem thick to me. I am always on the search for a nice lightweight moisturizer. Heavy serums aren't for me, I just break out. I have started using a few products from Peter Thomas Roth recently and really like them. He has a spot treatment that is very good. I use these products, with my Proactiv.

It's true that many things in your diet can cause breakouts, but sometimes it's just hormones and going through the change of life and you can't do anything about it. You just have to do the best you can and hope and pray for the end of menopause!

Respected Contributor

I would get a tube of (over the counter) cortisone cream and use it on your chin area 2 times a day, am and pm for a full 2 weeks.

Super Contributor

Have you tried omitting dairy products from your diet? - Bird
Esteemed Contributor

I have used ProActiv very successfully and highly recommend it. Before my daughter's wedding, I ordered her ProActiv from the Q, as she had acne on her face, chest and upper back. Poor thing just got hit with it. The ProActiv did a fantastic job on her, as it did for me.

Honored Contributor

What about your diet? Did you eat anything different or too much chocolate? Diet can definitely affect the facial skin. I do not know that much about Shingles so you would have to Google that. Hope things clear up for you. Burt's Bees has an excellent product for acne.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I appreciate so much all your very kind replies! It's kind of depressing to have this stuff! I do no feel very pretty at this moment, I can tell you that. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

I do not know what is wrong. I cannot think of anything different or strange that I ate or applied to my face.

I called the derm and they cannot see me for 2 weeks. My regular doctor -- forget that--- try a month.

I do take probiotics and have for quite some time.

I have lot of stress but for me that's pretty standard!

I am trying to use a gentle hand and avoid putting much of anything on my chin at this point.

I just hope it doesn't get any worse and when I do get to the derm., that they can help me.

Thanks, again.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Super Contributor

African Black Soap... Shea Terra has several great soaps

SKINN am cleanser with Tea Tree Oil

Isomers Exfoliating Cleanser with Tea Tree Oil

Paula's Choice Acne Cream (cheap and effective)

SKINN Dermapeel

So not recommend Kate Sommerville Acne System

Anything with Benzoil Peroxide