Trusted Contributor

Adding Powdered Vitamin C to SPF

Hi everyone. I purchased the 100% ascorbic acid powder from The Ordinary but I'm not sure how to incorporate it into my routine. I wear SPF everyday, so I figured that I should just add it to that. Is this a bad idea? TIA

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Honored Contributor

Re: Adding Powdered Vitamin C to SPF

Do you use a facial serum?  If Vitamin C is compatible with the serum ingredients, I’d mix it that way so the Vitamin C will get deeper into the skin.

Honored Contributor

@JBKO wrote:

Hi everyone. I purchased the 100% ascorbic acid powder from The Ordinary but I'm not sure how to incorporate it into my routine. I wear SPF everyday, so I figured that I should just add it to that. Is this a bad idea? TIA

Not ideal, no. SPF is pretty carefully formulated. I wouldn't mess with it.

Do you use a serum or toner with water in it? Ascorbic acid needs to be diluted with water or mixed into a water based product. If it were me, I'd just pour a little powder in my hand and then dribble some water onto it and mix with fingers until dissolved, then pat on.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

I never mix sunscreen with anything. I mix my own tinted moisturizer and cocktail some of my serums, but I don't mess with SPF.

You can also cause trouble if you mix L-ascorbic acid with acids. I use my AHA/BHA serums at night and my Vitamin C during the day. If you have a hyaluronic acid serum, you can mix it in with that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pure ascorbic acid can damage the skin if it's not properly mixed with something to give it the right acidity (pH). Too much of it may cause exfoliation and leave your skin irritated. Too little of it does nothing really. There needs to be the right amount applied to the skin to make it work as a skin care product. Ascorbic acid is extremely unstable in water so even if you have some diluted in a bottle somewhere, it won't take long for it to become oxidized and useless...like within a few days. Best thing to do is not use the powder, unless you know how to mix it properly to get the most effective product to use on your skin. Do not mix it with sunscreen products either. 

I've been making my own VC serum for some time now. I know how to do it right and there's more to it than just sprinkling the powder into something else and calling it 'skin care'.

Honored Contributor

You might look at this site (SkinActives.com) for a few ideas.  

https://skinactives.com/l-ascorbic-acid-vitamin-c-powder/

Trusted Contributor

I found that it burned my skin. I don’t think I have sensitive skin but I wasn’t happy with The Ordinary’s. I used to use the one from Skinn with no issues. It wasn’t for me and I tried mixing different amounts in different products. Good luck.