Honored Contributor

Re: Addicted to Beauty Products

Yes, @Shanus, these are things that make us go “hmmm?”, especially when some vendors seem to repackage an item and give it a new name. I admit, I have fallen for it a time or two...or three! 😜

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

I've been watching a lot of YouTube curly girl channels.

The array of gels and leave in conditioners and curl creams etc etc is dizzying.  I want to try them all!

Fortunately, a lot of the favorites are available at drug stores and Sally's . 

I'm really having fun mixing and trying new ones to see what works the best.

Respected Contributor

I love skincare and makeup and basically anything that is girly. Smiley Tongue

Honored Contributor

In the last few weeks I've been going through my stash, I threw out old drugstore makeup and got some Flower beauty lipsticks and setting spray because I've always wanted to try that brand. I am done with makeup until I need more IT CC cream. Now I have a good grasp on what I have. Same with body and hair products. I have started using Matrix Biolage shampoo and conditioner, so I stockpiled that in the large sizes with some good deals with Ulta. I had no idea what I had in body products, I have enough for months on end. The only thing I need is foot scrub and a good foot cream, if I can find good deals. I like the Bath and Body Works True Blue Spa but I can try others.

What gets me is the CVS extra bucks and coupons, I've become more disciplined in how I use those. It is a girly thing, it's fun to try new makeup and to give yourself a boost. But it definitely can get out of hand.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@Barb114 wrote:

@Shanus

I think the most confusing brand is Perricone. How many times a year is there a TSV with new and improved from the last TSV. After a while it just gets to confusing. I have stopped all "new and improved". Staying with the best for me Josie Maron products. Argon products are the best for me, and an oldie Bare Minerals.

@Barb114  Many companies to keep revenue up, (especially ones w/ very expensive products), resort to the new & improved or discontinue an older product and replace it w/ one almost identical, but a higher price. If you think about it, if Perricone kept going up on the same favorite night cream, would you continue to purchase? Add 1 ingredient and say it’s better, add $50 & you’re tempted. Marketing. Another trick is trying to convince you that you need more products than necessary...1 night cream (don’t personally believe in night serums), the same eye cream as in the morning, day moisturizer, spf, etc. There’s no need for frills. 

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

I've been watching a lot of YouTube curly girl channels.

The array of gels and leave in conditioners and curl creams etc etc is dizzying.  I want to try them all!

Fortunately, a lot of the favorites are available at drug stores and Sally's . 

I'm really having fun mixing and trying new ones to see what works the best.

@Ms tyrion2  Just remember many Youtubers get these products for free so they’ll endorse them.

Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

In the last few weeks I've been going through my stash, I threw out old drugstore makeup and got some Flower beauty lipsticks and setting spray because I've always wanted to try that brand. I am done with makeup until I need more IT CC cream. Now I have a good grasp on what I have. Same with body and hair products. I have started using Matrix Biolage shampoo and conditioner, so I stockpiled that in the large sizes with some good deals with Ulta. I had no idea what I had in body products, I have enough for months on end. The only thing I need is foot scrub and a good foot cream, if I can find good deals. I like the Bath and Body Works True Blue Spa but I can try others.

What gets me is the CVS extra bucks and coupons, I've become more disciplined in how I use those. It is a girly thing, it's fun to try new makeup and to give yourself a boost. But it definitely can get out of hand.

@Greeneyedlady21 I made a vow a few years ago to stay away from ULTA and Sephora...especially when they have 20% off and coupons...That’s opening the door and begging me to purchase what I don’t need. It’s bad enough I park at Nordstrom to get into the mall (clean bathrooms for stop before home...practical?). That’s all the temptation I can take.

Frequent Contributor

Hello, my name is BostonMom 59 and I am also a member of this group, Perhaps we can have our own wing when they commit us to the Tammy Faye Bakker Clinic for the Cosmetically Addicted!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus I ordered the Ulta stuff online, hadn't ordered from them in a couple of years. I don't have an ULTA or Sephora nearby. Luckily. It was just for my hair product makeover.

My local TJ Maxx has a beauty department, that can be addictive too.

But it's like clothing. I think the first step is to weed through, organize, and shop from your stash. Honestly too much of what I accumulated was due to not knowing what I already had. But my life circumstances over the last year plus didn't allow me to keep on top of such things. And I stockpiled out of necessity, because I had to have those things on hand. Couldn't get out to get them.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@Shanus I ordered the Ulta stuff online, hadn't ordered from them in a couple of years. I don't have an ULTA or Sephora nearby. Luckily. It was just for my hair product makeover.

My local TJ Maxx has a beauty department, that can be addictive too.

But it's like clothing. I think the first step is to weed through, organize, and shop from your stash. Honestly too much of what I accumulated was due to not knowing what I already had. But my life circumstances over the last year plus didn't allow me to keep on top of such things. And I stockpiled out of necessity, because I had to have those things on hand. Couldn't get out to get them.

@Greeneyedlady21  Me, too. When I get around to clearing out and organizing, I’m shocked what I find...things I didn’t know I had purchased.