Honored Contributor

I guess I am in my fourth week of this, and I've started peeling and redness. Fourth week??? Isn't that a little late in the game? I can't send  it back, now. And I might as well be using Retin - A which did this to me for a year and a half and started much sooner. I finally got smart and quit and I'm going to stop this one, too. I refuse to go around looking gross so that I won't wrinkle when I'm old. I really thought I had something here.

Respected Contributor

Re: Active Argan retinol system

I’ve personally given up on trying any retinols since my skin just won’t tolerate it.  I can use salicitic acid so I use it as an exfoliant instead. 

Valued Contributor

I wondered about how it would work when I heard the system advertised.  I am sorry it didn't work out for you.  I used to use Retin-A for years but it really irritated my face, especially around my mouth area.  I switched to Peter Thomas Roth's night time serum and had no troubles at all.  I can even use it on my neck nightly, which is a place that really can't  be fixed easily when it goes bad.  Anyway, I think you might just have to find a product that has the right mix of "cushiony" chemicals that will protect your skin from the harsh effects of the retinol.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Judaline I realize that you are talking about retionol and not Retin-A, but I wanted to know about how my best friend started on Retin-A a year ago and did it gradually with no problem of peeling; of course, everyone's skin type is different or varies, but this is what she did:

August - once a week

September - twice a week

October - three times a week

November - four times a week

etc., etc.

Like I said, she had absolutely NO peeling, NO redness. Her is skin is normally quite sensitive and she burns easily when out in the sun. So, for her to have no problems at all is chalked up to her gradual (albeit slow) introduction of the product to her skin. She is so happy she had the patience to do it that way.

She never looked badly in her face due to the slow introduction of Retin-A.

Perhaps you could try that with the Argan retionol system.....slow and steady/consistent.

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@Judaline I realize that you are talking about retionol and not Retin-A, but I wanted to know about how my best friend started on Retin-A a year ago and did it gradually with no problem of peeling; of course, everyone's skin type is different or varies, but this is what she did:

August - once a week

September - twice a week

October - three times a week

November - four times a week

etc., etc.

Like I said, she had absolutely NO peeling, NO redness. Her is skin is normally quite sensitive and she burns easily when out in the sun. So, for her to have no problems at all is chalked up to her gradual (albeit slow) introduction of the product to her skin. She is so happy she had the patience to do it that way.

She never looked badly in her face due to the slow introduction of Retin-A.

Perhaps you could try that with the Argan retionol system.....slow and steady/consistent.

Thanks, but I've been using retinol for over 2 years. I just wanted a little more oomph so I thought I'd try this since it has a buffer coat of something first and then goes on the actual retinol. As I said, it worked for 3 weeks and then all of a sudden this. I tried Paula's Choice 1% (I think) and it irritated me immediately. So with the AA I sure thought I was safe. 

Honored Contributor

@customerqvc2 wrote:

I wondered about how it would work when I heard the system advertised.  I am sorry it didn't work out for you.  I used to use Retin-A for years but it really irritated my face, especially around my mouth area.  I switched to Peter Thomas Roth's night time serum and had no troubles at all.  I can even use it on my neck nightly, which is a place that really can't  be fixed easily when it goes bad.  Anyway, I think you might just have to find a product that has the right mix of "cushiony" chemicals that will protect your skin from the harsh effects of the retinol.

Same with me-mouth area. I tried PTR, too. No irritation. No nothing. I saw no results. I could keep searching I guess. Origins sounds interesting. I just don't know if I want to invest in it anymore!

Honored Contributor

@itsmagic   So what results have you seen thus far, other than just being able to use it?

Respected Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@itsmagic   So what results have you seen thus far, other than just being able to use it?

I use Paula’s Choice 2% BHA (salicylic acid) and I think it gives my skin a glow, keeps it clear and I don’t know if it helps with wrinkles but I’m pretty happy with my skin in that department.  I feel like for me it’s an alternative to retinol which my skin seems to hate. 😃

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Judaline Same here. I don't want to go around peeling either. I peeled like crazy when I tried generic Retin A. Plain retinol dried me out. PTR retinol didn't dry me out, but I couldn't be sure it was doing anything.

The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid at 5% (HPR) seems to be strong, yet I am seeing zero peeling, irritation, or side effects. So I would recommend it as a way to deliver retinoid messages to the vitamin A receptors in the skin.

I just treat it like taking a vitamin. I apply a retinoid each night without expecting quick or obvious results, trusting that over time I'll be better off for having done it.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr