Respected Contributor

Activated charcoal for teeth whitening?

I know there is another thread about teeth whitening, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried this? I read some reviews and articles online. Seems to work, but the biggest complaint is the mess if you aren't careful. I thought at first "yuck," but they say it's odorless and has no taste. Anyone chime in and offer some advice on this? TIA

Trusted Contributor

Re: Activated charcoal for teeth whitening?

I have no information about this so I hope those that do will offer information. I have never seen it advertised or heard about this type of treatment.  Cost? 

Contributor

Yes, I have done this. It works. I bought my activated charcoal at a health food store in caplets. I just break one apart and put it on a wet tooth brush and brush away. No taste at all but black spit. Rinse the sink well after,  I have not had any sink staining issues.

Honored Contributor

Just the thought of this sounds absolutely horrible. 

"Pure Michigan"
Occasional Contributor

I didnt notice any whitening for me. I had to brush my teeth with regular tooth paste afterward to get all the charcoal out. Its messy

Honored Contributor

From what I've read and understand is that you have to put the charcoal on your teeth and leave it there for three minutes. Make a paste of the charcoal powder first then smear it on. Some youtube vids make it look messy and it can also stain your clothes and linens. I already have some charcoal powder that I use to make facial masks. I'm going to try it on my teeth now. Woman Happy 

Respected Contributor

There is a few activated charcoal tooth products (powders and pastes) out there, I almost tried one out of curiousity until I learned that it can stain some dental work.  

Since I have a crown, I did not want to risk it- I have enough headaches.

Honored Contributor

After what I've spent on my teeth all these years, there's no way I'd risk my teeth with a DIY whitening treatment.  Let the dentist do it!

Valued Contributor

It would be eaSY ENOUGH, i MAKE MY OWN TOOTH POWDER AND i CANT SEE WHERE IT WOULD THAT HARD TO JUST ADD IT IN. Sorry, hit  my caps.

Respected Contributor

I just purchased a "natural toothpaste" in a jar from a vendor for Inunctus (a company out of SF) who had a booth set out on the main plaza. He stated that it would whiten teeth in 2 to 3 days.  After reading this thread, I thought I'd give it a try. It contains activated charcoal along with some natural oils, etc.  Going to try it to see if it works.