Occasional Contributor

I'm afraid the Beekman lotion contains acrylates which are terrible for those with allergies and sensitive skin. Beware!

Honored Contributor

Re: Acrylates in Beekman lotion

@Marie Antoinette  - You're afraid or you know?  Where did you find this information?

Occasional Contributor

Go to their website. Ingredients are listed.

Honored Contributor

I just did.  I can see it under some products.  I can't say it's ever affected me and I checked to see its use in cosmetics.  It's likely only a problem, if you're very sensitive to it, but I can understand your concern.

Occasional Contributor

Yes, most people can use anything that comes on the market. I had to be diagnosed at a university hospital for consuming rashes. I was told there are thousands of patients with allergies to acrylates and preservatives in skincare, shampoos, etc. I have to check every ingredient. I wish qvc would carry more safe, organic pure skincare.

Honored Contributor

Now I am afraid to purchase their body cream.  I have sensitive skin but never had problems with any shampoos I have used or currently use or body lotions I use.

kindness is strength
New Contributor

I rarely post, but I wanted to let you know that their body creams are my all time favorite, and I have super sensitive skin.  Do not be afraid to try them.  I know everyone is different, but their body cream and soap are amazing!

Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

Now I am afraid to purchase their body cream.  I have sensitive skin but never had problems with any shampoos I have used or currently use or body lotions I use.

——————————

I think you will be fine but start with the unscented. The body creams are great but the scents are strong so if you don’t care for one it can be overpowering. The soaps are much milder in scent and I have never found one that I didn’t use. 

Honored Contributor

@Marie Antoinette wrote:

Yes, most people can use anything that comes on the market. I had to be diagnosed at a university hospital for consuming rashes. I was told there are thousands of patients with allergies to acrylates and preservatives in skincare, shampoos, etc. I have to check every ingredient. I wish qvc would carry more safe, organic pure skincare.

@Marie AntoinetteThey also use phenoxyethanol in some of their products, which has been restricted for cosmetic use in Japan and Europe.

The FDA here also does not require what goes into "Fragrance or Parfum".

While looking for paraben, phlates, etc. free products, there are other ingredients used in "organic" cosmetics that people are not aware of.

You have to research the ingredients in everything if you want a truly chemical-free product.

Unfortunately, the buzz phrases of "this free" and "that free" can be misleading.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Just because you have a reaction to a particular chemical, does not mean it is dangerous to most people. Most people do not have allergies to this ingredient. Anyone can develop a reaction to any ingredient. It's just how our bodies and immune systems work. Did you know there are some people who cannot use any skincare items at all? They react to absolutely everything.

Fragrance is the number one allergen in skincare. Scientifically proven. Sensitive skin people absolutely should avoid it. Also harsh cleansers like sulfates create lots of reactions. Another thing sensitive skin people can reliably avoid.

The most important thing to do is to report any reaction you have to a product/ingredient to the company that sold it. Reactions are terribly underreported. Typically the person just stops using the product, warns their friends, and leaves it at that.

The volume of adverse reaction reports affects how willing cosmetic companies are to use certain formulations. If they never hear anything from consumers, they don't do anything.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr