Honored Contributor

AVEDA SHAMPOO HAS SULFATES?

[ Edited ]

I was at my Aveda store last night for my favorite Brilliante shampoo. Just for the heck of it, I mentioned to the associate that I get a purple toner applied to my white hair every few months, but it doesn’t seem to stay. He said although all of the Aveda shampoos and styling products have a natural form of sulfates, it will take color out of the hair.

What? My Aveda? The Shampure is one of my favorites because of the fragrance alone. I guess it’s back to my drugstore favorites. I’m really shocked. When I purchased Brilliante about a year ago, the other associate said how moisturizing it is, etc. The fellow last night said it is clarifying....which is usually drying. I think they need to get their facts straight and receive much better training before being hired to sell products in the store. 

He tried to convince me to purchase the expensive Invicta line. By then, I’d lost all confidence in their information.

Honored Contributor

Re: AVEDA SHAMPOO HAS SULFATES?

@Shanus

Tweak'ed under "new" rise & shine system have you tried it? 

Honored Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

@Shanus

Tweak'ed under "new" rise & shine system have you tried it? 

@Sweet_Serenity  Yes. Last time Tweak’d was on Friday Night Beauty, I purchased the set w/ deep conditioner and the s& comes. Love it. Used to use Ojon. Been using Aveda never aware of the sulfate situation.

Valued Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

I was at my Aveda store last night for my favorite Brilliante shampoo. Just for the heck of it, I mentioned to the associate that I get a purple toner applied to my white hair every few months, but it doesn’t seem to stay. He said although all of the Aveda shampoos and styling products have a natural form of sulfates, it will take color out of the hair.

What? My Aveda? The Shampure is one of my favorites because of the fragrance alone. I guess it’s back to my drugstore favorites. I’m really shocked. When I purchased Brilliante about a year ago, the other associate said how moisturizing it is, etc. The fellow last night said it is clarifying....which is usually drying. I think they need to get their facts straight and receive much better training before being hired to sell products in the store. 

He tried to convince me to purchase the expensive Invicta line. By then, I’d lost all confidence in their information.

Invati. It's fabulous, No foam but totally cleansing and purifying and my hair has tons of volume, Well worth it, Smells very earthy, which I much prefer over any fruity or flowery smells. Not drying at all. 

Respected Contributor

I also use Invati and love it. One of the few shampoos I keep buying. I just bought a new shampoo for color treated  hair from Sephora. Did not try it yet.

Valued Contributor

So many shampoos cause scalp breakout for me.  I finally started using Dr. Bronner's Baby Soap. Love it. My hair does not get tangled when I wash it.  I also use it as a body wash "below the waist" and find it less drying than Dove. 

Respected Contributor

I just saw yesterday that Kroger has several paraben and sulfate free shampoos, conditioners I might check out when I need some new products.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus  Does the product work for you? Is your color being ruined in any way? If not, use what you love and don't worry about it.

I color my hair (except for my white streaks up front) and I alternate between sulfate free and those with sulfates; no difference. Considering what I pay for color, I am VERY PICKY with my hair products and the ones I'm using are working for me in every way. I had this discussion with my stylist and we had an interesting conversation about it. She does not sell products so she has no dog in the race when she suggests things. In her professional opinion, it's the overall chemical compound in the product that strips color, dries out hair/makes hair oily.

Trust me, if something alters my color in ANY way, it's not something I'm going to use. One of my most favorite products is by WELLA and both contain sulfates; but my hair looks, feels and smells amazing with them. I'm not going to stop using them, that's for sure.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

I think I would take what he said with a grain of salt, especially if you haven't been having issues.  Unless they say sulphate free, most shampoos will have sulphates (which are not all created equal).

I've been using Brilliant for more years than I can remember.  I absolutely love it.  It does clean well, which what shampoo is supposed to do and my hair appreciates.  And I have found throughout the years that it usually will perk up my highlights, not true of other more moisturizing shampoos.  If I feel I need more moisture, I use Humectress conditioner, not a moisturizing shampoo.

I do switch occasionally, but always go back to Brilliant.  It's the best shampoo I have found so far.  It is a staple for me.  And yes, it smells wonderful!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pureology is sulfate-free.  I used to use their Hydrate line, but found out it has Amodimethicone in it and since I am eliminating cones from my haircare had to give it up.  But, if you aren't concrened with cones in your products you might check into that.  Also, you might look at the Matrix Biolage Raw line.  They have no sulfates either. I know the Color Care Shampoo also doesn't have any silicones either.

Edited to change Philosophy to Pureology.