Respected Contributor
On 9/8/2014 F1wild said:
On 9/8/2014 balogna said:

I just read the instruction of lactic acid, correct me if I am wrong. Clean the face, then use alcohol/water (50/50 mixture) with cotton ball I assume, then use the lactic acid, am I correct? Is that rubbing alcohol mix with water?

I wish they have video that I can watch.

Thank you!

balogna - I'm glad you asked this question, as I have been looking at all of their peels and wondered the same thing.

Do those here in BB that use the ASDM peels complete the steps as suggested, including the alcohol/water (50:50) and baking soda/water steps?

That step is also suggested with MUAC peels. The baking soda is probably not necessary. I believe the acid stops reacting simply with water.
Super Contributor
On 9/8/2014 BellaCarro said:
On 9/8/2014 F1wild said:
On 9/8/2014 balogna said:

I just read the instruction of lactic acid, correct me if I am wrong. Clean the face, then use alcohol/water (50/50 mixture) with cotton ball I assume, then use the lactic acid, am I correct? Is that rubbing alcohol mix with water?

I wish they have video that I can watch.

Thank you!

balogna - I'm glad you asked this question, as I have been looking at all of their peels and wondered the same thing.

Do those here in BB that use the ASDM peels complete the steps as suggested, including the alcohol/water (50:50) and baking soda/water steps?

That step is also suggested with MUAC peels. The baking soda is probably not necessary. I believe the acid stops reacting simply with water.

Thank you for answering, BellaCarro! Do you do peels? Which one's? Do you do the alcohol/water prior to peeling?

Do these home peels really work?

Respected Contributor
F1wild (aka, wild one), yes, they really do work. I am a fan of MUAC peels and their site and c/s. If you contact them and describe your need they will suggest the best peel for you. My advice would be to start slowly and with a sample and always do a patch test. I told my BFF about them. She had been paying serious $$$ to a derm for monthly TCA peels. She tried MUAC and has saved significant money now doing them herself at home. She says they are every bit as effective as the peels she had at the dr office. I haven't done a peel in awhile, personally. I like the lactic. Oh, and with a peel like the TCA you may need that final step that stops the reaction. I really don't know much about that particular peel. MUAC would, though! Oh, I usually use that nasty SeaBreeze stuff before a peel. Not as intense as pure alcohol. Or, at least, it seems that way to me.
Trusted Contributor

I have done several peels from MUAC, their Radiance Peel, their Fade Peel, and their TCA peels (8% and 15%).

The alcohol/water toner applied before the peel is to remove any oils from your skin so that you get the best peeling action from the peel. Oil on your skin will act as a barrier to the peel and it won't be as effective. Wash your face, dry, then apply the alcohol/water toner with a cotton ball, let dry (don't rinse off), then apply the peel.

The baking soda/water mix used after the peel is to neutralize the action of the acid on your skin and helps to stop any stinging you may feel. I soak an old soft washcloth in a bowl of the water/baking soda mix and use that to gently wash off the peel, then I use a non-acid cleanser to gently wash my face using just my hands, not a wash cloth. Then apply a non-acid moisturizer.

And, yes, these home peels really do work and they aren't as scary as you would think. I have some pretty stubborn freckles/sun damage/acne pits that I'm trying to get rid of, so I've worked my way up to the TCA peels. I've been doing the TCA peels spaced around 4 weeks apart, usually doing a series of three or four of each % before moving up to the next one.

Always do a patch test first. You don't want any unpleasant surprises.

The MUAC website gives pretty complete instructions on how to use these peels, so go look at their site and compare to the ASDM site. The MUAC website also explains which peels are best for which skin issue and is very helpful in determining which peel to buy.

Frequent Contributor
On 9/9/2014 Sweet Susie said:

I have done several peels from MUAC, their Radiance Peel, their Fade Peel, and their TCA peels (8% and 15%).

The alcohol/water toner applied before the peel is to remove any oils from your skin so that you get the best peeling action from the peel. Oil on your skin will act as a barrier to the peel and it won't be as effective. Wash your face, dry, then apply the alcohol/water toner with a cotton ball, let dry (don't rinse off), then apply the peel.

The baking soda/water mix used after the peel is to neutralize the action of the acid on your skin and helps to stop any stinging you may feel. I soak an old soft washcloth in a bowl of the water/baking soda mix and use that to gently wash off the peel, then I use a non-acid cleanser to gently wash my face using just my hands, not a wash cloth. Then apply a non-acid moisturizer.

And, yes, these home peels really do work and they aren't as scary as you would think. I have some pretty stubborn freckles/sun damage/acne pits that I'm trying to get rid of, so I've worked my way up to the TCA peels. I've been doing the TCA peels spaced around 4 weeks apart, usually doing a series of three or four of each % before moving up to the next one.

The MUAC website gives pretty complete instructions on how to use these peels, so go look at their site and compare to the ASDM site. The MUAC website also explains which peels are best for which skin issue and is very helpful in determining which peel to buy.

The baking soda and water (50/50) is a teaspoonful or a tablespoonful of baking soda with what ratio of water? This question make me look really stupid, isn't it? {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Trusted Contributor
On 9/9/2014 balogna said:
On 9/9/2014 Sweet Susie said:

The baking soda and water (50/50) is a teaspoonful or a tablespoonful of baking soda with what ratio of water? This question make me look really stupid, isn't it? {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

This is what I do. I get a cereal bowl, dump in around 1/3 C. baking soda and then fill up the bowl halfway with tepid water. Stir it up, the baking soda doesn't all dissolve but that's ok. Then I soak my face cloth in the bowl and have it ready next to the sink before I apply the peel. I use the sopping wet face cloth over the sink to sponge off the peel, then rinse with water, then wash my face with a cleanser. Sure, it's not exactly a 50/50 mix, but it does the job of neutralizing the peel solution. Easy-peasy.

Super Contributor

You can also start the way I have. I have the ASDM lactic/glycolic peel which is gentle. I do not need the baking soda step either. I actually goofed one day, all my brown bottles are on a shelf and I thought I was grabbing an oil but I grabbed the peel instead. I had retin-a on my face and I put the peel on top of it. After about 10 minutes it dawned on me that my oil wasn't very oily so I grabbed the bottle and looked. I immediately washed my face off. There was no damage and no burning so I know the peel is very gentle.

Trusted Contributor

I used to have professional peels and over the course of years, the intensity of them increased as my skin tolerated them very well. My RN/Asthetician always told me that water alone neutralizes a peel so I have never felt the need to use anything other than plain water to wipe it off (nor did she regardless of how strong the peel was.) And my peels were much stronger then than at home peels. My final peel before I moved was a 100% glycolic and my skin had no problem at all - that was obviously after a few years of increasing the intensity gradually.

I have never been advised to wash my face after a peel either - with the original cleansing and prep followed by the peel itself, there actually could be some sensitivity to then follow up with a cleanser.

I've never heard or read any recommendation to wash the face after a peel so think you will do better bypassing that step. If you prefer adding the baking soda then add it but the professionals I went to for a long time and now with my at home peels, water has been more than sufficient.

Peels definitely do make a real difference over time. I credit the peels I got back then as keeping my skin in really fabulous shape throughout all my 40's and early 50's with no real visible signs of aging.. And I was a bad sun abuser. Wish I could have packed up my Skin Pro and taken her with me. I then got off them for quite awhile but have since commenced using them again.

PTR has a nice set of 12 peels that last for 3 months (1 per week) When you consider you get 12 complete peels in his set, the price is actually quite good. And his ampules hold a lot of product, more than enough to easily include the neck, decollete and both hands. It's a lot of product in each one.

Super Contributor

Thank you, Katluvr58, Sweet Susie & BellaCarro!