Valued Contributor

I decided to do a little research on Argan oil after seeing a documentary on it's production in Morocco. Final summation: Almost 100% of the oil sold in the US is adulterated in some way, and even though they claim to be totally pure, they have been processed to the point of being ineffective. Natural, cold pressed Argan oil has a distinct, nutty aroma that can reach offensive levels to some noses, and it has an ambery color. If you are using an Argan oil that is clear or without a scent, it has been processed, most probably with solvents. The prices seen on QVC for Argan oil are astronomical compared to the open market. And another thing to consider: It takes each woman in Morocco who is hand-crushing the nuts one whole work day to make one liter of oil. So do you really think the millions of gallons of this stuff on the American market are authentic?

Honored Contributor

A few years ago, I met a gorgeous woman in Santa Fe, well known in the community.  She was tall, slender with silver hair and a beautiful unlined face, a former fashion model.  I admired her beautiful skin and asked for her secret.  She said she had.used Jojoba Oil every day for years.  I immediately concluded that oil is oil and if it helps you, any kind will do.

Oh....I should mention this woman had just had her 100th birthday.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

My thoughts are the argan oil that JM sells is the same as the much lower priced argan oil that is sold elsewhere. 

Respected Contributor

I don't think oil is oil because some of them break me out.

I do use argan oil, which I discovered thanks to JM, but I use either SheaMoisture brand or Ulta Carrier Oil brand-whichever is on sale.

I use it to break down my makeup & then I use First Aid Beauty cleanser to wash my face.

I don't find argan oil moisturizing, but it is very soothing to my skin & it never breaks me out.

The SheaMoisture brand does have the odor.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

A few years ago, I met a gorgeous woman in Santa Fe, well known in the community.  She was tall, slender with silver hair and a beautiful unlined face, a former fashion model.  I admired her beautiful skin and asked for her secret.  She said she had.used Jojoba Oil every day for years.  I immediately concluded that oil is oil and if it helps you, any kind will do.

@Kachina624   I believe you 100%, but I had to laugh when I started reading because it sounded like JM's story with the French women.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: ARGAN OIL HYPE

[ Edited ]

Argan has never been my favorite oil. I've tried & tested a lot of the different ones: the nuts, the plants, the fruits, the flowers....and I do have a couple of favorites.

Yeah, clear oil is probably not very concentrated in the nutrient department. Best suited to use as a layer of protection.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

Actually jojoba oil is not really an oil at all. It is a liquid wax and possibly much more skin friendly than is argan oil.  I use pure jojoba butter and it's wonderful.

ETA:  Jojoba is like using almost pure ceramides which is really another name for a type of 'wax'.

Esteemed Contributor

@furbabylover wrote:

I decided to do a little research on Argan oil after seeing a documentary on it's production in Morocco. Final summation: Almost 100% of the oil sold in the US is adulterated in some way, and even though they claim to be totally pure, they have been processed to the point of being ineffective. Natural, cold pressed Argan oil has a distinct, nutty aroma that can reach offensive levels to some noses, and it has an ambery color. If you are using an Argan oil that is clear or without a scent, it has been processed, most probably with solvents. The prices seen on QVC for Argan oil are astronomical compared to the open market. And another thing to consider: It takes each woman in Morocco who is hand-crushing the nuts one whole work day to make one liter of oil. So do you really think the millions of gallons of this stuff on the American market are authentic?

Actually, Josie's Reserve is amber in color and has a distinct nutty aroma.  There is a difference from her "regular" argan oil.  The reserve penetrates immediately and makes a wonderful primer under make up.  It is very moisturizing.  Her regular takes longer to penetrate and is clear.  I have purchased less expensive argan oil and it just sits on my skin.  This has been my experience.  

Interesting info, @furbabylover .

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624   I believe you 100%, but I had to laugh when I started reading because it sounded like JM's story with the French women.

Ha!  Me too. Thought she was about to say "the woman looked like she was 40 but was really 70"  (or in this case 100)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This does not surprise me one little bit.  IMO all skin care products are basically the same with little to no effect.  For some reason a lot of women think that the more the product costs the better it will work its magic.  I find that sad.  

I have used bath soap and Ponds daily moisturizer for years and years and I have very good skin for 75 years old.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)