Respected Contributor

My daughter is a beautician and she recommended I try it.  My hair has thinned on top and near temples.  She said she also used the mouse form Rogaine for easier application.   She said it helped, but only if you continue with it.  I'm under tremendous stress, so thats not helping.    I also bought a new shampoo and conditioner with Biotin and collagen for volume.   I can't take Biotin supplements, but ill incorporate Biotin rich foods.

I'd like to know if anyone here uses Rogaine  and did you experience any bad side effects??  Most reviews were good, but a couple said it caused facial hair growth 😬.  No explanation how that would happen.   Also some said the cans of mouse stopped working because the aerosol gas was depleted and the product was waisted.

Honored Contributor

Re: ANYONE EVER USE ROGAINE?

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin   Stress can literally be a killer, it lowers your immune system and has many unpleasant side effects.  Try the Rogaine if you wish, but my first defense would be incorporating strategies to reduce the stress.  I'm currently using the Theradome (bought at Costco), too early to tell if it is working, but it has many good review.  I made sure that the following were in place before incorporating this laser:

healthy diet

sleep

exercise

stress management

These are the first line of defense for health (i.e. healthy hair/growth) before adding any chemicals or devices.  Your hair growth will  also depend on hormones, thyroid, age, and genetics.

Wishing you the best of health in this New Year!  

Respected Contributor

@phoenixbrd , thank you!!

Frequent Contributor

I use Rogaine (minoxidil.) You do need to use it continuously. Do not stop and restart. I used for 9 months with results of new hair growth and some fullness. I discontinued because of an unrelated abnormal blood test that I erroneously thought was due to minoxidil usage. It had nothing to do with the test or result. I tell you this because when I started using it again I unfortunately did not have the same results. My local dermatologist told me I could use 5% topical solution twice daily because I was no longer of childbearing years. I prefer the solution because I find it easier to appy and the foam is messy.
Yes, I did have the side effect of slight facial hair growth in area of chin and upper lip. They are really just annoying hairs here and there, but I take care of removing them at home myself. It is not a beard or mustache. Smiley LOL
Two tips: I use with a comb that I do not use for anything other than with the minoxidil. I also only use at my bathroom sink. Afterwards, I wipe down sink and comb with Clorox wipes and thoroughly wash my hands.  I have cats and minoxidil is toxic to pets. I do not allow my cats near my hair or pillows. Maybe I am overly cautious, but I have never had any issues with my pets since I started this routine in 2019.
Minoxidil is not a cure. The dermatologist diagnosed me with Telogen effluvium. TE is more of a symptom than a diagnosis in my case due to illnesses related to hormonal issues.
Sorry my response is so long. I recommend trying it. Good luck to you.

Honored Contributor

I use it daily. i have been using it for about 4 years now

I get a box with 3 bottles  at a time. each bottle lasts 30 days

I do the liquid up to line apply to hair line area on top massage it in till head/hair is dry. comb my hair. do not let liquid get in eyes. IT BURNS!!!!!!!!!!

it does not work over night. it has filled in my hair somewhat, you will not get a full head of hair. at least i am no longer extra thin on top am still thin but looks like i have some hair.

Honored Contributor

I would suggest a visit with your doctor first to rule out any medical issue.  Of course, it's almost inevitable as we age to get thinning.  I tried Rogaine twice, but each time I had scalp itch.  And I could never seem to find it to sratch it.  it was like it was underneath the scalp or something.  I just couldn't stand it so I gave it up.  I do take Biotin supplements and use a Hairmax headband and I think it helps somewhat.  

Respected Contributor

@NewNickname1x1000 , I'm really turned off by the possibility of facial hair growth.   This is what read on some reviews.  I appreciate your detailed reply, and I hope is well with you!  Thank you!

Respected Contributor

@viva923 , glad it's working for you!  I would say, my hair has thinned a bit within the past 6 months.  I've always had fine hair, but enough of it.  Now, I'm seeing alot of hair after I wash it coming out, and I could see through it a little and see some scalp.  Nothing terrible, but it's definitely thinning.  My daughter gave me a shorter bob this time with lots of layers.  So now I can easily fluff it up, and it has a little wave, so it's like a messy bob.  It's a cute cut, shorter than I usually get, but my hair grows very fast, so im ok with it. I'm on fence about Rogaine, and terrified to get facial hair.

Valued Contributor

@Dazlin I've been using Rogaine 5% foam since February. I am extremely happy with the results.  You will not grow hair on your face unless you're rubbing it all over your face everyday. I started out with the Rogaine foam for women but have switched to Costco's version. It says it's for men but the ingredients are the same. I use it once day. If you stop using it your hair will fall out again. I just make this my last step after my skincare routine. I'm glad to say I can style my hair again instead of wearing it tied back.

6C826096-74A6-4684-B93D-7998C9A9972D.jpeg471CDB23-742B-4BCD-9F7C-5C3ED705404D.jpeg

Valued Contributor

Also forgot to mention these pictures are 2 months apart. My hair is much fuller and thicker now @Dazlin