Honored Contributor

Re: ANTI-AGING MEMO DID NOT GET TO Q

[ Edited ]

I think they got the memo, read it, and tossed in the circular file.

Anti aging is a CATEGORY of skin care.   Too many women abused their skin when they were young and thought they'd have great skin forever, and are now scrambling to fix the damage they did, and plain old moisturizers won't do what they want.

As one woman who was interviewed after some minor plastic surgery put it so succintly:

"I don't want to look YOUNGER ..... I just don't want to look any OLDER".    

I think she makes a good point.

Respected Contributor

If only four active ingredients work, it severely limits how many products can be pushed at us, even if every line offers something with them. No profit in that, better to peddle hope!

Honored Contributor

@febe1 wrote:

Anti-aging creams are being purchased and made for the younger woman of perhaps 35 and up, not the mature older women who have already aged.

Anti-aging creams are just a way to make more money.

Retin A is the only science approved skin help. And it doesn't lift. What gravity has done cannot be picked up and put back in place. But that doesn't mean you can't have beautiful skin and excellent skin care for all women. The young woman thinks she's staving off wrinkles. She may, but she will never be able to counteract gravity. We all will fall. The only difference is how much. The fatter your face, the more there is to fall. The thinner face, less to fall. One will have more jowls than the other.

If you want lifting, see your plastic surgeon.

@febe1  ITA. The younger women live in fear of aging and will purchase anything that seems promising. 

I began my very strict skincare regimen at 35 and started my daughter seriously caring for her fair skin at 13. Now 69, I can truly go makeup free...no spots, very few wrinkles, little sagging and no dullness. I think besides the 30+ yrs. of Retin A, etc. staying the same weight instead of yo yo dieting plays an important part in sagging. If your face keep keeps inflating & deflating, the delicate skin stretches & sagging occurs. Good nutrition and exercise are also important. 

Except for the fact that my white skin would frighten people except on Oct. 31st (😜), I could go makeup free, so all my efforts have paid off. This includes visits to the derm for deep cleaning facials every 3-4 months and bleaching creams, the OBAJI system I do once a year. You get the skin you want if you care for it. 

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I think they got the memo, read it, and tossed in the circular file.

Anti aging is a CATEGORY of skin care.   Too many women abused their skin when they were young and thought they'd have great skin forever, and are now scrambling to fix the damage they did, and plain old moisturizers won't do what they want.

As one woman who was interviewed after some minor plastic surgery put it so succintly:

"I don't want to look YOUNGER ..... I just don't want to look any OLDER".    

I think she makes a good point.

@Tinkrbl44. Plastic surgery may pull the skin tighter, but does absolutely nothing for wrinkles and age spots. Many woman who have abused their skin expect surgery to be the answer. Caring for your skin is still the first priority.

Honored Contributor

@febe1 wrote:

Anti-aging creams are being purchased and made for the younger woman of perhaps 35 and up, not the mature older women who have already aged.

Anti-aging creams are just a way to make more money.

Retin A is the only science approved skin help. And it doesn't lift. What gravity has done cannot be picked up and put back in place. But that doesn't mean you can't have beautiful skin and excellent skin care for all women. The young woman thinks she's staving off wrinkles. She may, but she will never be able to counteract gravity. We all will fall. The only difference is how much. The fatter your face, the more there is to fall. The thinner face, less to fall. One will have more jowls than the other.

If you want lifting, see your plastic surgeon.

@febe1

??? 

I guess I must have missed something ..... which products say they can actually take the place of plastic surgery by "lifting" the skin?   I've never seen any claim that, but maybe you can name the products that do?  thanks

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

You don't start when you are 50 or 60 after the damage is done.

If the push for good skin care is now the new "normal", it needs to be pushed at all ages, not just the older ladies, like myself.

I've also read that "anti-aging" is not politically correct.

So let's see if it's about semantics or if there is a new change coming.

@software

What's politically incorrect about a skin care category?  

Esteemed Contributor

I remember a few years ago during a presentation with Dr. Denese.  She said that if any product claims it can lift the skin, "Don't you believe it!  No cream can LIFT your skin."  I always remember this bit of honesty when I listen to a presentation of skincare.  I hate the term they all use "gives the appearance of" which I am sure is because of legality issues.

Also, B & A's always crack me up.  You can tell in the BEFORE the women have a slight smile which is going to make crinkling around the eyes and mouth.  In the AFTER their expression is solemn.  It is trickery as far as I am concerned.  I have found that keeping it simple has paid off in more ways than one. Smiley Happy

@Shanus

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

I pay no attention to any of these inflated claims, because there is usually included some variation of these phrases: results may vary or results not typical.

Until they show me "typical" results, in my opinion, they are all blowing smoke.

Honored Contributor

Allure magazine recently banned the term because it implies a condition that should be battled.

The actress Helen Mirren was on the cover.

I don't make this stuff up

@Tinkrbl44

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

Allure magazine recently banned the term because it implies a condition that should be battled.

The actress Helen Mirren was on the cover.

I don't make this stuff up

@Tinkrbl44

@software

Ah ....  I wasn't suggesting you made this stuff up.  Sorry.

IMO, Allure Magazine is just another of the dozens of  so-called "beauty" magazines that was looking for a hook to make women pick that issue up off the newsstand.   Personally, I don't consider them to be some sort of prime authority on ....  anything.