Honored Contributor

Re: ANTI-AGING MEMO DID NOT GET TO Q

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@software wrote:

Allure magazine recently banned the term because it implies a condition that should be battled.

The actress Helen Mirren was on the cover.

I don't make this stuff up

@Tinkrbl44

@software

Ah ....  I wasn't suggesting you made this stuff up.  Sorry.

IMO, Allure Magazine is just another of the dozens of  so-called "beauty" magazines that was looking for a hook to make women pick that issue up off the newsstand.   Personally, I don't consider them to be some sort of prime authority on ....  anything.

Nor do I

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

Anti-aging creams are being purchased and made for the younger woman of perhaps 35 and up, not the mature older women who have already aged.

Anti-aging creams are just a way to make more money.

Retin A is the only science approved skin help. And it doesn't lift. What gravity has done cannot be picked up and put back in place. But that doesn't mean you can't have beautiful skin and excellent skin care for all women. The young woman thinks she's staving off wrinkles. She may, but she will never be able to counteract gravity. We all will fall. The only difference is how much. The fatter your face, the more there is to fall. The thinner face, less to fall. One will have more jowls than the other.

If you want lifting, see your plastic surgeon.

@febe1  ITA. The younger women live in fear of aging and will purchase anything that seems promising. 

I began my very strict skincare regimen at 35 and started my daughter seriously caring for her fair skin at 13. Now 69, I can truly go makeup free...no spots, very few wrinkles, little sagging and no dullness. I think besides the 30+ yrs. of Retin A, etc. staying the same weight instead of yo yo dieting plays an important part in sagging. If your face keep keeps inflating & deflating, the delicate skin stretches & sagging occurs. Good nutrition and exercise are also important. 

Except for the fact that my white skin would frighten people except on Oct. 31st (😜), I could go makeup free, so all my efforts have paid off. This includes visits to the derm for deep cleaning facials every 3-4 months and bleaching creams, the OBAJI system I do once a year. You get the skin you want if you care for it. 

@Shanus, I think that this is a generalization that puts the onus and the blame on an individual when in reality, some can do all that you have done and not see the same results.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

Anti-aging creams are being purchased and made for the younger woman of perhaps 35 and up, not the mature older women who have already aged.

Retin A is the only science approved skin help. And it doesn't lift. What gravity has done cannot be picked up and put back in place. But that doesn't mean you can't have beautiful skin and excellent skin care for all women. The young woman thinks she's staving off wrinkles. She may, but she will never be able to counteract gravity. We all will fall. The only difference is how much. The fatter your face, the more there is to fall. The thinner face, less to fall. One will have more jowls than the other.

@febe1  ITA. The younger women live in fear of aging and will purchase anything that seems promising. 

I began my very strict skincare regimen at 35 and started my daughter seriously caring for her fair skin at 13. Now 69, I can truly go makeup free...no spots, very few wrinkles, little sagging and no dullness. I think besides the 30+ yrs. of Retin A, etc. staying the same weight instead of yo yo dieting plays an important part in sagging. If your face keep keeps inflating & deflating, the delicate skin stretches & sagging occurs. Good nutrition and exercise are also important. 

Except for the fact that my white skin would frighten people except on Oct. 31st (😜), I could go makeup free, so all my efforts have paid off. This includes visits to the derm for deep cleaning facials every 3-4 months and bleaching creams, the OBAJI system I do once a year. You get the skin you want if you care for it. 

You forgot to give credit for your good genes, @Shanus. Sagging is your face dropping, a loss of collagen and elastin that causes wrinkles. The less sagging, the less wrinkles.

I'm sure you have beautiful skin no matter your age, b/c you've kept excellent skin care all your life. I believe good skin care will give you beautiful skin, no matter your age.

However, @Shanus, even great beauties who've done everything in skin care, still need ****** and tucks as they age b/c it needs

lifting.

If you don't have the genes, and you have a fat, full face, you will sag as you age into the later years. You can still have beautiful, mature skin even with wrinkles. I mention Helen Mirren before surgery for one. However, getting the skin you want with good skin care is fine if your expectations are realistic and have good genes. Expecting good skin care to bypass old age ravages is unrealistic.  

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

@febe1

??? 

I guess I must have missed something ..... which products say they can actually take the place of plastic surgery by "lifting" the skin?   I've never seen any claim that, but maybe you can name the products that do?  thanks

Right off the top of my head, @Tinkrbl44, Adrienne Arpel at HSN and Skinn products at Evine come to mind.

Trusted Contributor

My forever question, maybe someone can answer for me here.  If I use a Retin A/Retinol product - is that a separate product from my moisturizer?  Does it go on before or after my moisturizer and is it used both day and night?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

Valued Contributor

@Quinny, retin a (and it's weaker cousin, retinol) should only be used at night. You use one or the other, not both. Either can be irritating,derms suggest using retin a once every three nights to start with and gradually working up to every night. Apply sparingly to folds of the skin around your nose and the corners of the mouth - these are the areas that tend to get irratated easily. Do not apply to the upper eyelid! If you apply to the lower lid, I buffer first with an eye serum, and I usually just tap the residue on my fingers to the under eye. You may not see irritation the first time you use it, sometimes it takes a few days to surface. Using it in damp skin will increase penetration so wait 30 min after washing your face before putting it on, and it's important to follow with barrier repair products and products that help with irritation - cerave and replenix power of three have worked well for me. Red LED also helps to calm irritation. In the AM, keep it simple, antioxidant serum, cerave again, and sunscreen is non-negotiable. if you do some online digging, Dr Cynthia Bailey has some good blog entries on how to use retin-a.