Honored Contributor

The Allure September issue is "The End of Anti-Aging". Helen Mirren is on the cover (grey haired and proud). 

This is supposedly the first Allure issue w/ anyone on the cover w/ grey/white hair....very reassuring. Now let's see what the articles have to say. Can't wait to read it.

Anyone read it yet? Share your thoughts.

Respected Contributor

stunning!

allurecover.jpg

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Honored Contributor

I don't have to read the article to know it's NOT about the end of anti aging products and procedures.   Yes, Mirren went gray but she has certainly not by any stretched embraced her inner old lady.  You don't look like that at her age unless you take advantage of everything that's out there.  The thing that Mirren does well is that she doesn't try to look like her 40 year old self.  She addresses the things that make us look drawn, tired and old as we age but she doesn't over do it.  There's movement and life in her face.  She keeps her body in top notch shape too.  Allure must be reaching out the over 50 demographic because we have money and we will spend it for the products we think we need.

Honored Contributor

I didn't read it yet, but I did read where Allure decided to no longer use the term Anti Aging......They want women to be able to embrace their age, and yes use good skincare and take care of yourself, but not to obsess about looking younger.......I think that is a good thing, and we'll see how well it goes over.....You know for a while everything was about anti aging, and you get tired of hearing it, or at least I do.......  

Respected Contributor

Re: ALLURE SEPT. ISSUE

[ Edited ]

Yes, Helen Mirren is beautiful. She was a beautiful young woman and has the financial means to avail herself to keeping herself gorgeous.  My opinion is that Allure is saying the End of Anti-Aging because it the older generations that are much more likely to look at magazines, whether paper or e-reading.  Allure is going where the money is.  This is a business decision.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I don't have to read the article to know it's NOT about the end of anti aging products and procedures.   Yes, Mirren went gray but she has certainly not by any stretched embraced her inner old lady.  You don't look like that at her age unless you take advantage of everything that's out there.  The thing that Mirren does well is that she doesn't try to look like her 40 year old self.  She addresses the things that make us look drawn, tired and old as we age but she doesn't over do it.  There's movement and life in her face.  She keeps her body in top notch shape too.  Allure must be reaching out the over 50 demographic because we have money and we will spend it for the products we think we need.

@chrystaltree  I agree that "anti-aging" doesn't mean hanging up your serums and moisturizers. I think the point is not stressing out about your age and looking the best you can for the age you are now, not 20 yrs. ago.

Honored Contributor

@PhilaLady1 wrote:

Yes, Helen Mirren is beautiful. She was a beautiful young woman and has the financial means to avail herself to keeping herself gorgeous.  My opinion is that Allure is saying the End of Anti-Aging because it the older generations that are much more likely to look at magazines, whether paper or e-reading.  Allure is going where the money is.  This is a business decision.

@PhilaLady1. So is it also a business decision to have an 18 yr. old model advertising retinol and wrinkle creams? 

Respected Contributor

Re: ALLURE SEPT. ISSUE

[ Edited ]

@Shanus  That's a good question.  Something for me to think about...

Well, I guess maybe, in a way, it is.  Why else would companies use very young women to advertise facial treatments and cosmetics.

By the way, I am goofing around at work being on this forum so if I don't chat with you or reply back, please don;t take offense.

Honored Contributor

@PhilaLady1 wrote:

@Shanus   That's a good question.  Something for me to think about...

Well, I guess maybe, in a way, it is.  Why else would companies use very young women to advertise facial treatments and cosmetics.

@PhilaLady1  For me the answer is obvious. "Purchase this cream and you can regain your youth and look 18 again". They play on your insecurities.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@PhilaLady1 wrote:

@PhilaLady1. So is it also a business decision to have an 18 yr. old model advertising retinol and wrinkle creams? 

@ShanusSo true and so darn funny. The minute I see a commercial or ad for wrinkle cream that features any model under 40 I immediately put them on my do not buy list. Do they think I am that stupid? Guess that would be a yes to them and that lets me know their opinion of ME...the one with the $ who is now NOT gonna buy their product! LOVED the Alure cover and cracked up because the same day I received it a lady was blah blahing anti-aging products on HSN big time. lol