Honored Contributor

ALLURE MAGAZINE DROPS THE BALL

Within the last 6 months, ALLURE published an “anti-aging issue”.  It seemed promising...a movement towards at least a few middle aged models, beauty relevant to women older than 16-25. The articles in that issue were quite interesting and a step forward for other publications.

The ALLURE issues since are back to Gigi Hadid & her fellow beauty squad. No mention of middle aged women. I’ve found nothing of interest to read. Even their Beauty Awards seemed “off the mark” & skewed towards a much younger market.

They’ve dropped the ball and I canceled my subscription. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: ALLURE MAGAZINE DROPS THE BALL

Sadly, much of the talk in the fashion industry, and related industries, has been mostly lip service. I’ve followed fashion for most of my 70 years and, yes, there are rumblings from time to time about reaching out to different age groups, different ethnic groups, and different sizes. However, the results are often paltry. Some progress has been made since I was a young woman but that was 50 years ago! 

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is political

Respected Contributor

I dropped that mag when they kept sending me on-line surveys to fill out, only to stop my survey when they asked my age and wouldn't let me continue the survey!

That told me exactly who they were.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Within the last 6 months, ALLURE published an “anti-aging issue”.  It seemed promising...a movement towards at least a few middle aged models, beauty relevant to women older than 16-25. The articles in that issue were quite interesting and a step forward for other publications.

The ALLURE issues since are back to Gigi Hadid & her fellow beauty squad. No mention of middle aged women. I’ve found nothing of interest to read. Even their Beauty Awards seemed “off the mark” & skewed towards a much younger market.

They’ve dropped the ball and I canceled my subscription. 

@Shanus...what took you so long? LOL. I canceled one month after they fired Linda Wells. She was always the heart of Allure. Once they hired the new editor in chief, Allure sadly became a shadow of itself.

Honored Contributor

I cancelled my subscription quite a while ago with Allure,and also Instyle...I am not interested in constantly reading and seeing 20 year olds........I don't care about their Political Points as everyone has a right to their opinions. I also just don't have the interest to sit and read magazines anymore.......Unless they are Home Decorating magazines, still love those! 

Honored Contributor

I was getting this magazine only because it came with something I bought from HSN.  Despite me requesting the refund, I still got the magazine.

I never cared for it.  I also wasn't holding out much hope that there would be real change after the anti-aging issue. 

As far as the beauty awards, I've always figured companies pay to win those awards.     

Esteemed Contributor

Print magazines are all in trouble as advertisers flee and newsstand and subscribers sales falter. I think Allure will be the next magazine to drop print entirely and go digital. If you look at the magazine there's barely any beauty ads at all. No wonder there's a revolving door of magazine editors and employee layoffs across the board and both Conde Nast and Hearst. 

Beauty and fashion magazines have never been inclusive of anyone who doesn't fit their idea of what is beautiful and they aren't going to start now. But who needs them anyway? I can get my beauty and fashion fix online.

Honored Contributor

I'm a boomer and have no need to read a mag that caters to the younger generation. Boomers are no longer the larger crowd anymore. To me that's very evident in many things being sold today.  The money goes with the predominant population and understandably so.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

I also stopped the Allure Beauty Box, (and the mag years ago). Nothing relevant to my interests.  In fact, I've given up on almost all mags.  The internet is my oyster now.

I too, stopped shopping with Penzey's due to their politcal rants.  While they may see their position as an ideal platform to support their views (and they have every right) I prefer to shop where there is no adgenda.  

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~