Honored Contributor

I am currently using Olay Night Resurfacing Elixir, which is an 8 - 10% AHA (glycolic acid). I've recently started using some of Paula's Choice products and like them a lot. I'm using her Resist C15 Super Booster, Resist Super Antioxidant Concentrate Serum and Skin Recovery Replenishing Moisturizer. I like her products so much that when I run out of the Olay I had planned to switch to her Resist Skin Resurfacing & Smoothing System. One is a daily treatment of 5% AHA glycolic acid, and the other is a weekly treatment of 10% AHA glycolic acid. The more I've been reading her catalog it sounds like glycolic acid isn't recommended for people with rosacea, which I have a mild case of. She recommends BHA for rosacea. The glycolic acid at this level hasn't made my rosacea worse, but I wonder if the BHA might make it a little bit better. BHA is to unclog pores and reduce breakouts though, and I just don't have breakouts. AHA hydrates and smoothes fine lines which at 58 years old is what I want. They both exfoliate.

Is anyone else in this same predicament? Any thoughts from anyone? What would you recommend that I do? I may call Paula's Choice CS and discuss it with them, although I would imagine that they would suggest I try the BHA which I am hesitant about. Thanks for any input anyone has.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

Hi,

Paula's Choice does have excellent customer service. You can also order samples of the AHA 1x per week 10% peel to try it out.

I don't have rosacea so i can't speak to that.

There is also a 4% BHA product that is a treatment foam.

Good luck. There are a lot of women on the forum that have advice I know.

Honored Contributor
I too picked up the Aha because I have dryer skin and no breakouts so I assumed that was the one for me but many people on this board use the BHA regardless of their skin issues. the 10% can be harsh
Super Contributor

I may call Paula's Choice CS and discuss it with them, although I would imagine that they would suggest I try the BHA which I am hesitant about.

Would you be willing to try it for 5 days? CS could send you 5 samples. I bet your fears would be allayed. I bet BHA will work as well for you as AHA. There has to be a reason she recommends BHA for rosacea.

Good luck, NickNack! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Thanks sun8shine and Andreatoo. Irishrose, thank you for sharing your experience with PC BHA. That helps a lot. I do have dry skin so would need her BHA lotion. She has 25% off cleansers and toners today, so I'll call CS and order BHA samples.

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

I use a .5% BHA cleanser in the am..and use a AHA toner at night. I have mild redness, this has helped! My skin is smooth and luminous!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Super Contributor

Paula recommends BHA for rosacea because in addition to exfoliating the skin, it also is an anti-inflammatory and anti-irritant. It helps alleviate redness, helps build collagen, and improves skin thickness and barrier function. The reason it's recommended for acne, too, is that BHA is also antimicrobial and penetrates into the pores to clear them. You don't have to have acne to use BHA. AHAs can be more irritating and do not have anti-irritant and anti-inflammatory properties.

Honored Contributor
On 7/2/2014 cassiem said:

Paula recommends BHA for rosacea because in addition to exfoliating the skin, it also is an anti-inflammatory and anti-irritant. It helps alleviate redness, helps build collagen, and improves skin thickness and barrier function. The reason it's recommended for acne, too, is that BHA is also antimicrobial and penetrates into the pores to clear them. You don't have to have acne to use BHA. AHAs can be more irritating and do not have anti-irritant and anti-inflammatory properties.

Cassiem, thanks for this info. I went ahead and ordered the BHA 2% lotion this morning along with the cleanser that was on sale. I got 20% off the BHA with a coupon from RetailMeNot. I feel sure I'll like it.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

My skin loves (LOVES!) BHA. It keeps my skin clear and makes my forehead feel as can be. I like AHAs, but the BHAs are more effective for my skin. I use the AHAs on my chest, where I have more sun damage from forgetting to reapply sunscreen there when I worked out in the sun as a teenager.