Esteemed Contributor

So, I know this has been talked about before, but now I am ready to do something about it.  A new one popped up on my face, seemingly overnight.

Can anyone recommend a specific over the counter product that works to fade these nasty things, something I can perhaps buy on Amazon?

Thanks for any and all responses.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

It's a pipe dream that many have when they think OTC products will 'cure' the spots. OTC remedies are merely band-aids for the problem and while some spots will fade over a long period of time as you treat them with OTC creams, they will return again at some point so the cycle never ends....and you end up spending more money down the drain.

It's best to pay a visit to a derm and get it evaluated. Treatment options are much more successful from that angle and many will get rid of brown spots for good. I've been down that road a few times.

Respected Contributor

Dermatologist can spray those.... after few weeks they are gone.....

Esteemed Contributor

I agree, hate the ones I have.

Since sun usually causes them, protect your self.  I am amazed how few wear SPF gloves when driving.  A big hat is useful for walks.

Trusted Contributor

Re: AGE SPOTS -- UGH

[ Edited ]

I remember years ago Kathy Levine would talk about the age spots on her hands.  She said she eventually just "gave up" trying to get rid of them......as shortly after she thought they were gone, they would just reappear again.

Respected Contributor

I am very fair, Three of my grandparents came from families whose last name started with “Mc”.  

Over the years I started getting a few larger brown spots on my face and arms/hands. Last yr at the end of my birthday suit visit at the derm, I told dr how much I disliked those larger spots. She recommended YAG laser.

The procedure didn’t take a lot of time and only stung a tiny bit. She treated my face, 2 spots on my arms and several on my hands. What a difference this made! The spots on my face were gone and I actually enjoy wearing my nice rings again! I cover up much more now than ever before. With the summer sun very strong here I cover up and use copious amounts of sunscreen. And yes, gloves when driving and most of my summer tops cover up to base of my neck, no more scooped Tees for me. 

Honored Contributor

I don't mind a few age spots on my face.  Some women develop dark brown/red/purple spots on there arms as they age...after a while is looks like their arms are almost purple.  If this happens to me, just one more lesson of acceptance.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd .............Those purple spots are bruises and minor bleeding under the skin due to the person being on a blood thinner.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

You and me both, @phoenixbrd .  The person that said they were surprised that more people don't wear driving gloves?  Is this a joke?  I love being outside.  I can't imagine being so afraid of sun exposure.  I can't imagine being so afraid of the many things that people are afraid of.  It is a true shame and such a waste of life.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

I use MD Dark Spot Corrector.  It won't completely remove the dark spots but if used consistently it will lighten them.  I've used it for probably 3-4 years and the darkest spot on my cheek is very light now.  With make-up on it you don't even notice it.  

It's not a miracle product but it does help.  I don't have extremely dark spots so I can't say it would help in all cases but if your spots are fairly small and somewhat light I believe it might work for you.