Respected Contributor

@Shanus  I don't do full coverage except when using IT foundation. I actually get compliments when I use this foundation. The new one is light to medium and a near perfect match. I am very fair and sometimes just too pink.

I have stopped using eye shadow in any shade but a bisque and cover the whole lid. I do use a liner and shape the lid.

I can't remember the tricks I did with lipstick.

I know a lot of people on the board use primer under foundation. I never had a need to but wonder what it does. I do use eyelid primer.

I still have somewhat oily skin at seventy six. I do use a nigh cream and eye cream at night but not during the day. I think my foundation would just slide off.

I wonder if I'm doing something wrong re primer and moisturiser.

Respected Contributor

@lavendar I have oilier skin & I have not found a primer that does anything for me, unless it breaks me out. I know a lot of people love them, but I just don't.

If I can get my skincare right I am happy.

I use PTR Acne Clear Oil Free Matte Moisturizer during the day. It gives me light hydration, but never gets oily or shiny. And, it doesn't break me out. 

It controls my oil, during the day, so I like it even if I am not wearing makeup. But, it does work really well under makeup.

Mac Studio Fix Fluid Foundation is my favorite liquid. Again, I love the product but it is one of the few that doesn't break me out.

Fenty Pro Filt'r Instant Retouch Setting Powder is my new best friend. It goes on beautifully, very silky & keeps me matte all day. That is amazing for me.

You can't do anything "wrong". You need to dedice what you want as far as skincare & makeup & then find what works for you.

Esteemed Contributor

Your post gave me a chuckle, @lavendar.  I've wondered the same thing -- once the masks come off, am I going to remember how to apply makeup?  I know I need to throw away all the makeup I have and buy all new.  But what should I buy?   Thanks for posting about your dilemma.  Smiley Happy

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@lavendar   Good morning. I never wear primer either. Under foundation, it's main purpose is to help your foundation stay on longer. There are some for oily skins that would matte the areas you feel need that under foundation...it would help having to using too much powder on top. If you haven't used or needed primer before, I would tell you not to add another step now.  

An eyelid primer is good for for smoothing the skin skin on the lid and helping your shadow stay on longer...not creasing, too. 

There really are no tricks with lipstick, but I can suggest using a lip pencil if you lines around your mouth. The liner will keep your lipstick from running into the the creases. You only need one liner. I suggest one that's close to the natural color of your lips. Line and fill in your lips with that liner. It will be a "primer" for your lipstick helping it stay on longer.

I do use moisturizer and a sunscreen during the day. If your skin is more oily (mine is dry), you may not need it. Sunscreen is important to prevent further wrinkles and skin cancer....face and neck and chest if you have on a v neck or lower top. 

Please ask any other questions you may have.  

Honored Contributor

I rarely use full face make up anymore--especially now ,but when I go to an appt I usually just do my eyes and brows; no mascara, have horrible lashes from chemo, but I do try to cover the purple at the corners of my eyes an even out the lids too, then eyeliner and then my brows----nothing else shows with the masks--but funny thing happened at the dentist----the girl at the desk, said my you have nice skin---and I said what? how can you see my skin--she said, your forehead looks amazing--- I laughed  a little harder than I should have, but that is the only skin that shows these days---still cracks me up!!Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

@Shanus I have been avoiding the sun all my life. I don't have enough melanin to tan and burn terribly.

I was in one of the first studies for sunBLOCK, not sunscreen at the Roswell Park Cancer Center in Buffalo,N.Y. They paid me a lot of money because they couldn't find people who didn't want to tan. That was 

'65. Everybody had a tan then; I was the whitest person every summer. Now I look like everyone else.

I'm religious about sunscreen; I go to the beach all covered up. Probably one reason I don't have any prominent wrinkles. Retina micro helps. Retina micro is the most gentle but also twice the price of other trenitoins. I use Drugstore RX to make it affordable. I do use moisturiser when I use it.

The combo is probably why I'm often told I don't look my age although nothing helps jowls but surgery. I can't do that or Botox because of my medical situation.

Respected Contributor

I meant suntan lotion, not sunscreen.

I see a really great derm and she said less is more. She says it's important not to disrupt the normal microbeme on the skin. I have Sjogren's syndrome so I have to be very careful.

Former derm: ''Irish skin is very difficult."

Me: "But I'm Jewish."

Derm''We all have our cross to bear."