Respected Contributor

Last night was the first night in a year that I attempted   make up. Not a full face; I didn't have time.

Fine with foundation and blush. O.K. for now eyebrows, liner and mascara. But undereye pigment just didn't work. Have BB conture and at least three different products for undereye pigment. Couldn't remember how to do them,

Do I do foundation first? I did need some moisturer; will do that next time.

Starting from scratch again I wonder why I have so much make up. Did I use it all? I'm seventy six and have been using makeup since I was sixteen but a year off is a long time. Eventually I'll go through it piece by piece and probably pitch a bit of it.

Respected Contributor

I meant BB corrector.

Honored Contributor

@lavendar 

@Shanus is our resident makeup artist, maybe she'll see this and have some advice!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@lavendar    Did you stay away from makeup because of the Pandemic?  I read that foundation is first and then concealer.  I use to do concealer first until I read the article to do it last.  JUst remember less is more.  I am 71 but I stick with a light foundation where your skin shines througfh, a little blush and a little mascara, and lastly lipstick or lip balm.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

To add to my earlier post, @SilleeMee is also very, very knowledgeable in skin care and make up! 

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@lavendar 

Hey!  It has been a strange year hasn’t it?

I used the time to examine all that MU stuff and pare down.  Way down!  Haven’t worn foundation in years, but I always put under-eye concealer on right after morning serum.

Please let us know how you progress.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

I didn't wear m/u because of the pandemic. Masks, sunglasses and hat pretty much makes m/u irrelevant.

I have a wonderful foundation; a new one my neighbor tuned me into: Il Makiage. She takes the darkest and I take one of the lightest. It's light to medium coverage.

I didn't do lips because I knew I'd be eating right away. Was going to a Seder with all vaccinated people.

I don't like the look of "made up," but do use more makeup to look natural. To quote Dolly Parton,'' It takes a lot of money to look this cheap." e.g. I spend more money than I'd like to get a natural looking brown mascara.

Honored Contributor

@lavendar wrote:

I didn't wear m/u because of the pandemic. Masks, sunglasses and hat pretty much makes m/u irrelevant.

I have a wonderful foundation; a new one my neighbor tuned me into: Il Makiage. She takes the darkest and I take one of the lightest. It's light to medium coverage.

I didn't do lips because I knew I'd be eating right away. Was going to a Seder with all vaccinated people.

I don't like the look of "made up," but do use more makeup to look natural. To quote Dolly Parton,'' It takes a lot of money to look this cheap." e.g. I spend more money than I'd like to get a natural looking brown mascara.

@lavendar 

Also Dolly ~

“There’s no such thing as ‘natural’ beauty.”

Love her!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Re: A year without m/u HELP

[ Edited ]

@lavendar wrote:

Last night was the first night in a year that I attempted   make up. Not a full face; I didn't have time.

Fine with foundation and blush. O.K. for now eyebrows, liner and mascara. But undereye pigment just didn't work. Have BB conture and at least three different products for undereye pigment. Couldn't remember how to do them,

Do I do foundation first? I did need some moisturer; will do that next time.

Starting from scratch again I wonder why I have so much make up. Did I use it all? I'm seventy six and have been using makeup since I was sixteen but a year off is a long time. Eventually I'll go through it piece by piece and probably pitch a bit of it.

@lavendar   I usually do corrector and then concealer before foundation. Sometimes after application under the eyes, if the color's not too far off from your complexion, you can use the concealer for some redness around your nose, etc. This way you'll need less foundation and it's a more  youthful look to not have a full coverage. Hope that helps. 

Respected Contributor

@lavendar If you have time to play try a few things. You can do 1/2 face each way to see what you like.

Put concealer on first-under eyes (Even there you can try a couple of things. 1. Start on the inner corner & blend down & over.

2. Apply concealer under the eye, in the center, & then blend out to outer corner & up to inner corner.) You can apply with your finger, a brush or a sponge.

Or apply your foundation & then if you feel like you need more coverage anywhere you can add concealer. Start with less than you think that you need.

There is no right or wrong way. You can watch you tube videos for hours & they all apply things differently & use different tools.