Honored Contributor

A tip for those who "suffer" from down-turned eyes

[ Edited ]

Eyes that are shaped so that they turn down at the outer corners might be sort of alluring in a boudoir way when you're 20 with firm, taut skin, but ouch, not so much as you age and everthing just sort of falls.

I saw this advice somewhere online -- can't remember where -- but it made some sense to me: When you apply mascara to your top lashes (I don't do the lower anymore, anyway), avoid the outer corners, where your eye begins to turn down.

It's awkward at first when you're used to going all the way out, especially with a big mascara brush, but what it does is takes the attention off that downward part of they eye and focuses on just basically the center.

It's certainly not a super dramaticchange, can't compete with plastic surgery :-), but hey, it's all about smoke and mirrors, isn't it?

I like it.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Re: A tip for those of you who "suffer" from down-turned eyes

OHHH I have those round sad eyes.  When I was  a child everyone said I looked like a sad puppy.  I take after my dad.  Now, they're round, sad, and hooded!!  And I'm getting sad looking at them!!.    As far as mascara goes, I think curling the lashes right to the outer ends helps.  I don't mind the roundness, so the mascara helps lifts the outer corners and opens my eyes.

I like Benefit They're Real, and Too Faced Better than sex(dumb name)  with collagen...nice lengthening.

Super Contributor

Thanks for the tip - I will try this!  I usually wing my upper eyeliner a bit...a tip I got from a makeup artist at Bobbi Brown.

Honored Contributor

@DCAnnie2004 wrote:

Thanks for the tip - I will try this!  I usually wing my upper eyeliner a bit...a tip I got from a makeup artist at Bobbi Brown.

You're very welcome, @DCAnnie2004. It really does take the focus away from that downward sag. As for the little wing with the eyeliner, you're either younger than I or just luckier. It doesn't work anymore with my slackened skin. If I try it, it just ends up looking like a little accidental blob of color.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Dazlin, my eyes aren't round. And fortunately, I have only very moderate hooding. But it's the end of my eyes that turn down that I deal with. Combined with the loss of firmness, it's a battle to find ways to distract from it. This trick of not emphasing those lashes that are in that downward part seems to help me.

Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3  Another great tip......along with the Wayne Goss blush tip!  I have been doing this and my eyes look better.  I have about the same eyes as you as far as minimal holding and down turned, although one eye is droopier ( not a word I don't think but I like it LOL) 😀  going to play with shadows and liners still and watch YouTube.

I'm sure you have a thin face too.  Mine is thin and sunken looking.  Result of dramatic weight loss 4 years ago when I was ill.  The cheeks never filled in.😔  If you have any tips please let me know!  If I could gain 5 pounds in my face I'd be wrinkle free!

Honored Contributor

@Suebdoo wrote:

@suzyQ3  Another great tip......along with the Wayne Goss blush tip!  I have been doing this and my eyes look better.  I have about the same eyes as you as far as minimal holding and down turned, although one eye is droopier ( not a word I don't think but I like it LOL) 😀  going to play with shadows and liners still and watch YouTube.

I'm sure you have a thin face too.  Mine is thin and sunken looking.  Result of dramatic weight loss 4 years ago when I was ill.  The cheeks never filled in.😔  If you have any tips please let me know!  If I could gain 5 pounds in my face I'd be wrinkle free!

Hi, @Suebdoo. It's scary to lose so much weight from being ill, but I hope that you are totally recovered now.

Yes, I have a very thin face, always have. But now it's even thinner due to that nasty thing called aging and loss of everything that holds it together. :-( So I know exactly what you mean about gaining weight just in your face.

I''m glad that my little tip at least helps a bit.

Valued Contributor

A little Botox can lift that area, and makes a huge difference.

Honored Contributor

Botox does not always work to turn the eyes up, if you were born that way.  Botox can lift a little sagging that one has aquired from aging, but change the shape is very hard.

Trusted Contributor

@Fifi1 wrote:

A little Botox can lift that area, and makes a huge difference.

A friend of mine did Botox and it DID lift the area. It made a BIG difference.