Regular Contributor

A tan=health and beauty? Bah!

I am fair skinned and so tired of hearing QVC hosts say that women look healthier and more beautiful and well-rested if they have a tan. Kierstin said these very things just now. Would they say an African American woman looks better with lighter skin? Or darker skin? Absolutely not.  Yet it is somehow acceptable to make fair skinned girls and women self conscious about their natural skin. I remember my when my daughter was 11, she asked to go to a tanning salon. I was appalled that she was feeling ugly because of her skin.

Please, stop promoting a falsehood, QVC! Please stop body shaming women for their skin color (words like "pasty" come to mind) just to sell a product. Self tanners can be sold without going down that road.

Fair skinned women are just as beautiful, healthy and well rested as tan women. Nicole Kidman, Meryl Streep, Emma Stone have porcelain skin and are beautiful.  And so is my daughter.

Honored Contributor

Re: A tan=health and beauty? Bah!

I just ignore it. I'm pale too and love it. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

Agree!! Most of what the hosts say is so ridiculous. Sometimes I listen and cannot believe what I am hearing. Anything is said to try to make a sale. This time of year a tan=health is a big one. 

Respected Contributor

A lot of the hosts/models seem to have a tan, but I also notice many that don't.  Seems like a lot of work to maintain a fake tan. 

Super Contributor

To me it's not a matter of selling a product as much as it is about health. Fake tans are just that----fake. But, a fair-skinned person has to worry about skin cancer.

My DH has this problem and has full body scans every six months. He has had one surgery to remove cancerous cells, three biopsies, and multiple places that have been frozen from the top of his head to his back and one leg.

After seeing what skin cancer does, anything promoting being tanned is irresponsible.

tea

Honored Contributor

In some parts of the world, Japan and Korea to be exact, tan skin is considered not to be beautiful. They go to extremes to keep their skin as light as they can get it. My Japanese mother had very pale skin and so did her friends. They used to frown at me when I sun bathed as a youngster. I learned at a young age that being tan is not always considered a thing of beauty.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

It's a falsehood for OP but not for everybody.   I also think most do look better with some tan.  Some don't agree and that's ok but to say it is a falsehood is really a falsehood because many think a tan makes just about everyone look healthier, more beautiful and well rested.  I know I look better with a tan and without look sickly at times and in the winter I'm always being asked if I feel ok or have I just been sick.   I guess it's just another one of those things where there is no right or wrong.

Honored Contributor

Not every one who watches these beauty programs have a good handle on what's healthy, considered beauty, etc. especially the very young.I too think it's irresponsible for these hosts to make statements about standards of beauty and health. LR was notorious for ludicrous statements on skin, height,hair,etc.

Respected Contributor

@Nighthawks wrote:

I am fair skinned and so tired of hearing QVC hosts say that women look healthier and more beautiful and well-rested if they have a tan. Kierstin said these very things just now. Would they say an African American woman looks better with lighter skin? Or darker skin? Absolutely not.  Yet it is somehow acceptable to make fair skinned girls and women self conscious about their natural skin. I remember my when my daughter was 11, she asked to go to a tanning salon. I was appalled that she was feeling ugly because of her skin.

Please, stop promoting a falsehood, QVC! Please stop body shaming women for their skin color (words like "pasty" come to mind) just to sell a product. Self tanners can be sold without going down that road.

Fair skinned women are just as beautiful, healthy and well rested as tan women. Nicole Kidman, Meryl Streep, Emma Stone have porcelain skin and are beautiful.  And so is my daughter.

And all my friends that were tan when we were young and teased me look like old leather handbags now!  My "pale" skin still looks great. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Respected Contributor

Hi @Nighthawks! I was reading a biography about Elsa Maxwell whose celebrity put Monaco on the map of the rich and famous: that apparently was where the tanning craze began-promoted by none other than CoCo Chanel.

I agree with you that all skin tones and colors are beautiful.  We don't hear about it so much here, but in other parts of the world such as Africa and India, women maim themselves-many have died- in pursuit of lighter skin.

I am enjoying my fake tan because it helps mitigate veins and capillaries on my legs, but during the winter, I go back to my light skin. Living in Florida, at the age of 56, I look about as old as some women in their late 20's or 30's: they bake themselves and have deep wrinkles. There are also a lot of men walking around with ears that have been chewed up by Mohs surgery. Healthy? Not!

Poodlepet2