Honored Contributor

Re: A question to those who use Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid

I use the exfoliating serum (PC or Isomers) every other night and I use the cottom ball method (couple of drops) all over my face and neck.

I never even considered cocktailing but it's a great idea and considering the directions say to follow with the rest of your serums and creams it certainly makes sense!

Thanks ladies!

Trusted Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I use Clean & Clear........same 2%........more economical

Clean and Clear only has 0.5% salicylic acid and is not a viable competitor.  Neutrogena, however,  does market a 2% BHA at $3 per oz as opposed to PC's $8/oz.  

Honored Contributor

@Nona of Five wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

This might be super wrong, but when I use the liquid I mix it into my serum, which is thicker. I put the serum on the back of my hand and then add 3-4 drops of the BHA 2% liquid, mix, and apply. I rub the backs of my hands together to absorb whatever is left on my hand and my hands have never looked better.

@ChynnaBlue

CB, your BHA will be much more effective if you put it on clean skin (using a pH cleanser in the 5.5 range) and then waiting at least 15 minutes (some say 30 minutes) before putting any other product on.

Check out this info: pH and product application

Here is just some of the pertinent info:

pH effects the acid you use and how it works. Another consideration is not to disturb an acid while it is on your skin, which can alter pH and effect it action on the skin.

Generally speaking an acid is effective for approximately 20 to 30 minutes on the skin surface, after that point the skin pH has risen enough to lessen the exfoliation action on the skin. The acid is effectively neutralized. During this 30 minute time frame, the acid is working at effective strong levels. Anything applied after 30 minutes will not hamper the effect of your acid, as the pH has already changed, and the acid action has slowed a lot...Acids should be applied to freshly cleansed skin, free of all other product for best results... If a 2% or 5% BHA product is applied and left on the skin, but not AHA product is following, wait 30 minutes before applying next product. (the 30 minute time frame allows the BHA to work at its most effective, and exfoliate at optimal levels. This is the recommended option for best exfoliation results)

SuzyQ3, you beat me to it.  I was just about to post something about the importance of pH and incorporating a wait time.  Have you ever read Skin & Tonic?  I've learned so much reading this blog.

I'm glad that you also were going to post this information. The science of pH-dependent acids like BHA and AHA makes absolute sense. That's why when you buy a BHA product, it's good to know the pH level, which PC does provide in the item description.

The product works best at that pH level, so if you're doing anything to contradict that level, such as washing beforehand with a high pH soap or combining products with our acid that very likely to be at a higher pH level or following the application of the acid with a product before the acid has time to do its job (15 to 30 minutes), you're not getting the full effect of the acid.

I am very aware that Paula and her staff say otherwise. They claim that all of their products ph balanced. But they never state the pH level of serums and moisturizers, the exact products that people tend to cocktail with the acid.

So IMO, the science as stated in my link in one of my previous posts rings more true to me. Plus, since I'm using the BHA at night, it's not a big deal for me to wait a few minutes before moisturizing.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I forgot to say, I also use this on my feet and it has made my feet so soft and nice looking without using a pedi product. I use the RESIST 2% BHA liquid and the regular 2%BHA lotion which I have left over since switching to the CLEAR about a year ago.

Esteemed Contributor

Are they still making the 2 percent BHA in the white bottle?  I realize I have been applying too much of this after reading this thread.  Thanks - today I tried a tiny amount and although it took an hour to stop feeling a tiny bit sticky, if was a big improvement.  

Respected Contributor

Smiley Wink  LOL
@HappyDaze wrote:

@Funloving wrote:

Since my face has been freshly cleansed I did a trial run just for you.  Ha!

It's one of those things I don't  really think about, just go through the motions..  It took 4 drops to cover my face and neck.  Maybe I have a big face.  I DO have a fairly long neck. :-P

I agree w/ HappyDaze.  Sticky = Too Much

LOL! No, I don't really think about it either- I mean it has been about 10 years using her BHA so I don't really measure anymore but I guestimated. I did a trial run too and I'd say 3 is a bit more realistic, maybe 4 if I am going to do my chest too (hit or miss if I do it).

LOl, I am sure your neck is just fine

Respected Contributor

I'm sure  there's nothing wrong with BHA or AHA on the back side of your hands.  In fact,  it's probably beneficial.  I use a form of AHA on the heels of my feet.

I only suggest washing the palms of your hands- seems it might be drying. I don't like the way it feels & don't especially want to exfoliate my palms Smiley Tongue

Hope this is readable- I'm on my iPad which I rarely use for typing.

Honored Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

Are they still making the 2 percent BHA in the white bottle?  I realize I have been applying too much of this after reading this thread.  Thanks - today I tried a tiny amount and although it took an hour to stop feeling a tiny bit sticky, if was a big improvement.  

She has several of the 2% Bha in a white bottle (2 liquids, 1 gels and 1 lotion) so not sure which one you are referring to.

Honored Contributor

This is the one I bought on QVC is there another version 

thanks 

http://www.qvc.com/Paulas-Choice-Skin-Perfecting-2-BHA-Liquid-w-Travel-Size.product.A275734.html?sc=...

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Snoopp wrote:

She has several of the 2% Bha in a white bottle (2 liquids, 1 gels and 1 lotion) so not sure which one you are referring to.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox wrote:

This is the one I bought on QVC is there another version 

thanks 

http://www.qvc.com/Paulas-Choice-Skin-Perfecting-2-BHA-Liquid-w-Travel-Size.product.A275734.html?sc=...

Yes, there are a few more different ones, assuming you are only interested in liquid (there are a few more in lotion and gels too) - RESIST 2%BHA (in a blue bottle), CLEAR anti-redness regular strength 2% BHA, and the CLEAR extra strength 2% BHA (still not sure why this is considered "extra strength" when it has the same amount of BHA as the regular strength.

They may or may not be available at QVC (I have not checked) but some or all are on dermstore, beauty.com, birchbox, paula's website, etc.