Trusted Contributor

Re: A question regarding pedicures

HMMMM.  Much to consider.

Esteemed Contributor

Does this nail salon have the sanitizing machines for the pedicure tools? Even if they do,  I think a visit to your local Urgent Care would be a good safety measure. 

I'm also a summer pedicure person- I would definitely go to a new salon next time!

Trusted Contributor

@Ibby114  yes they do, and, they have all of their instruments in little bags.  I am looking at a different salon.

Super Contributor

I had a pedicure at the usual place I go to.  This time I had a new gal.  First she nipped my cuticle on my toe that bled, which, ok, it happens.  Then she cut the outer side of my foot with a file that bled just a little but hurt.  She said nothing but was quick to put on antiseptic and her finger over it but I already knew what was going on.  I also knew I wasn't coming back.

The thing was, that darn cut took weeks to heal.  I was really concerned! I was afraid of getting some sort of infection.  Ugh.

Trusted Contributor

@Deanie You've already received some great comments. Yes, the worst case scenario does involve amputation or death. The advice to make notes documenting when it happened, what was said, etc, is very good. I would monitor your toe carefully for any changes that might indicate infection and contact a doctor immediately if you do notice any potential issues.

About a year ago I met an internationally known nail expert online. One of the major things I've learned is that the number of nail techs out there with inadequate knowledge of nail anatomy and/or the basics of how the products they use work is way higher than one might expect. What most of us, including quite a few nail techs, refer to as the cuticle is actually the eponychium (the cuticle itself has no blood vessels). The eponychium does have blood vessels and should never be cut, other than by a licensed medical professional. In fact, for a nail tech to do so is illegal in some areas.

What would I do? While I've never had a manicure or pedicure in a salon, but my response would be based on my overall perception of the tech and the salon. That view now would include a lot of knowledge I didn't have a year ago. Mistakes do happen/ But honestly, based on my current level of knowledge and on what you've said, I would very likely be looking for a new salon.

Honored Contributor

@Deanie wrote:

Hi, before I started this thread, I checked to see if there were any similar ones, and could not find any.  I would like some feedback.  I get pedicures in the summer and I have been going to the same place and same person for about a year.  She cut my foot yesterday.  My cuticle and it bled like stink.  I complained jokingly both to her and to the salon manager....jokingly and asked for a discount.  Got no response.  Wat would you all do?  Would you go back there?  give another chance?  find another salon? And, yes I gave her that same tip.

Don't go back 

get your own set of tools and don't let them cut anything just file

that is what I do 

hope you are OK 

Honored Contributor

@Deanie wrote:

Hi, before I started this thread, I checked to see if there were any similar ones, and could not find any.  I would like some feedback.  I get pedicures in the summer and I have been going to the same place and same person for about a year.  She cut my foot yesterday.  My cuticle and it bled like stink.  I complained jokingly both to her and to the salon manager....jokingly and asked for a discount.  Got no response.  Wat would you all do?  Would you go back there?  give another chance?  find another salon? And, yes I gave her that same tip.

I'm sorry that happened. It's hard when you find a place or person you like and then can't trust them anymore.

If you complain about something jokingly, you send mixed messages. When you're dissatisfied with a service but still leave the same tip, that's more mixed messages. You are absolutely not at fault for the fact that she cut you, but if you want them to take your complaint seriously, you need to be serious about it. I'm guessing you were trying to be kind about it, but you can be kind and serious so they know your concern is real.

I would find a new place. It's hard to find a good place, so I'd ask some people you trust for a recommendation.

Trusted Contributor

@ChynnaBlue  you are correct.  It is mixed messages and probably did not serve me well. I have been looking at Yelp reviews regarding other salons. Thanks to all for your very helpful feedback.

Honored Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Deanie    In my opinion, I would first off ask how deep is it or long.  I never get pedicures, but I had a bad nail tech that caused severe infection in my nail and the whole nail fell off.  Thank heavens that it grew back.  I had a tech cut me another time and it was because he looked up to see who was coming in the door.  So I guess my question is , was she or he distracted in anyway?   I quit going to the guy that cut me.

Whether or not the person was distracted has nothing to do with the price of tea in China.  The mistake was made.  They should have been more responsible and more considerate.

Honored Contributor

@Deanie wrote:

@BalletBabe  She was not distracted, but, I noticed that she did have a bandage around her finger.  I asked her what happened and she told me that her nail split down and she was having difficulty using the instruments.

That is scary.  She should not be working if she has an open cut or issue where she could have an infection that she could transmit to you through an open cut.  That should be illegal for her to work on you without gloves in this situation.