Honored Contributor

Re: A primer that doesn't lay on top of your skin....

I use Dr. Denese Hydroshield as my primer. It works just as effectively as any of the primers I tried in the past....such as Lancome or some of the other pricey brands. It makes my foundation look flawless and it improves the staying power.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@tototwo wrote:
Excuse me, but I thought that any primer was supposed to lay on the top of your skin and not soak in. A primer is supposed to be a barrier between your skin and your foundation, isn't it? To me, a primer smooths my complexion and camouflages pores. I always allow my primer to dry/set for 5 minutes or more before I apply a foundation over it. I'm curious why anyone would want a primer that "sinks in."

That's what I thought. I don't like primers since they tend to break me out.

Same here. Though that was the whole point,  lay a foundation on your sKin to create a more smooth canvas, so to speak. One that absorbs seems counterintuitive and defeats the purpose?

Honored Contributor

@tototwo wrote:
Excuse me, but I thought that any primer was supposed to lay on the top of your skin and not soak in. A primer is supposed to be a barrier between your skin and your foundation, isn't it? To me, a primer smooths my complexion and camouflages pores. I always allow my primer to dry/set for 5 minutes or more before I apply a foundation over it. I'm curious why anyone would want a primer that "sinks in."

@tototwo  This is my understanding as well.  I use Missha BB Boomer if I'm using a BB/CC cream or my Laura Geller Baked Elements, but I don't use any primer if I'm using a serum foundation because it would prevent the penetration of the skincare ingredients in the foundation.  

Honored Contributor

Looks like some might be confusing serum with primer.

Respected Contributor

I apply the bareminerals primer in a very thin application and let it setfor about 10 minutes before applying powder foundation. But it doesn't actually dry. It leaves a slick canvas on my face which is ok for powder foundation, but not for liquid. I apologize if I've cause confusion. I am looking for something that dries instead of leaving a slick.
Honored Contributor

@Rachb wrote:
I apply the bareminerals primer in a very thin application and let it setfor about 10 minutes before applying powder foundation. But it doesn't actually dry. It leaves a slick canvas on my face which is ok for powder foundation, but not for liquid. I apologize if I've cause confusion. I am looking for something that dries instead of leaving a slick.

That's more like it! The whole point of the primer is so your skin doesn't suck up the foundation (or anything else).

Primer that muddles with your foundation sounds awful!

Esteemed Contributor

I had the same problem with this particular primer and finally threw it out.

I took Paula's recommendation and use an Olay serum as a primer.

Honored Contributor

Don't know it this counts as a primer but how about Philosophy's Supernatural tinted moisturizer/sunscreen? I've been using that as a primer for liquid foundation and its been fine.

I also use Lancome's La Base Pro before liquid or powder foundation.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

I have always liked Spackle and still do. Just bought he new Smashbox Primer Oil and love it. My skin is dry however it can be used on all skin types. It sinks in easily and doesn't sit on top of the skin.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used to use Bare Minerals Prime Time when i used their powder foudations.  When I switched to liquid foundation I finally discovered Bare Minerals Prep Step Moisture Set Prep Cream.  I like that it blends nicely and doesn't have a slick or slippery feel.  I have used it underneath BareSkin foundation and IT CC cream foundations with great success.