Respected Contributor

Re: A lipstick color for everyone?

That's the color--it works on nearly everyone--though if you are dark, you'd want a darker, mauve version probably. I have a book on not looking older and the recommendation is for pink lipstick like this. I look at the colors I've owned and this kind of pink is what I wear almost daily. 

Super Contributor

I bought Edward Bess blushed dune here on qvc and its one of my favorites.  He says its "like your lips but better neutral"  and I agree.  Moisturizing too. 

Trusted Contributor

There is no one-color-lipstick-fits-all, it's just a marketing gimmick to get you to buy a kit.

I think finding the right color lipstick is trial-and-error for everyone and it's best to purchase lipstick at a store that accepts returns of opened makeup, like Walgreens or Ulta.  Then, when you find the colors that work for you, explore similar colors in different brands in other venues that don't accept returns.  That way, you aren't throwing away your hard earned money buying lipstick colors that will look horrible on you.  After a while, you will be able to identify the colors that look good on you just by looking at them in the tube.

Just from looking at that photo of the NYX Indian Pink lipstick, I know it would be a couple of shades too light for me and I would look like a zombie.  My natural lip color is a darker rose pink, just like the NARS "Rikugien" lip pencil.  Years ago, a makeup artist told me to never wear a lipstick that is lighter than my natural lip color and this is really true.  I can't wear any lip color that is too light or too dark, nor too blue-pink or purple, nor too blue-red or too orange or brown.  I take the muted, middle road of rosy pinks and pink-corals. 

Honored Contributor

@quinny wrote:

The thought of a lip color that looks  good on everyone, while enticing...is impossible.   All of us have a different skin tone, color of lips, hair color and eye color, however sligt.

Look at the thousands of women who where red beautifully, most of the reds are slighty or very different in shades, but all are beautiful.  There are other women that no matter what shade of red they would wear, look awful.  Same goes for pink, peach, nude, beige, bronze and all of the rest.

I don't give a thought to ads that say "this is a lip color for all women".

Way back when, Michael Maron made a lip color that was split, one shade on one half, another shade on the other.  Wish I could remember what it was.  I went through several tubes and why it was discontinued, I'll never know.  That is the closest I've ever come to a "one size fits all".

I suppose the one color we can all wear is clear gloss!  

I just did a search on ebay and there are 2 tubes being auctioned.   

Honored Contributor

I've been more adventurous with lip colors lately and I've discovered that the lighter colors make my lips look fuller which is a real plus. It would seem that I have the same coloring as the op; fair-haired, blue-eyed, and pale skin. I have the pale pink, which I received some snarky comments about here, some orange and even a lavender!. All I can say is you need to experiment and not just look at the color and say eww because you never know what it's going to look like on! I would never have gone for a pale pink but I received a sample, if I recall it was a Too Faced melted, and I have since purchased it in another brand because it looked that good! I do know that super dark colors don't really work with my complexion
Contributor

Try Laura Mercier 'Baby Lips'

Trusted Contributor

Maybelline " Colorsensational" Line.  They have nice colors and they are creamy.  I bought some in their "nude" line.  However, I like a nude with some saturated color.  I do not look good with a nude lipstick that doesn't have some color.

Honored Contributor

There is no univerasal lipstick shade, regardless of what vendors or hosts or ads might try to claim. I remember when Clinique's Black honey was touted as a universal shade and it looked awful on me. Jamie from IT claims the Je nais se quois is universal and I looked like a clown with it on. I could go on and on. It is impossible to create a shade of lipstick that looks good on all skin tones. Simply impossible. So don't ever fall for that line from anyone.

Super Contributor

I really like Lipstick Queen Frog Prince.  It's gimmicky in that it's green in the tube, but it really does turn a lovely, perfect shade on my lips, as advertised.

Honored Contributor

@posterchild wrote:

I really like Lipstick Queen Frog Prince.  It's gimmicky in that it's green in the tube, but it really does turn a lovely, perfect shade on my lips, as advertised.

It turns a perfect shade of ..... what?