Super Contributor

A lipstick color for everyone?

I've heard some vendors state that a certain lip color would look good on everyone.  I've yet to find the perfect color for me.  I've spent a fortune on lipsticks and stains that just end up a mess on my aging lips.  I'm looking for suggestions that have worked for you.  I'm fair skinned with blue eyes.  Warm tones seem to work best, but not all of them.

"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson
Trusted Contributor

Re: A lipstick color for everyone?

I'm afraid I can't help, because I find I am in complete agreement with you.  I, too, have probably hundreds of lipsticks, and almost none of them look really good on me.  In fact, when I think back over the years, there have been only three or four that I can say looked really nice on me, and those have since been discontinued.

When I was really young, I mean teens and early twenties, I think many more were flattering, but in the past 20 or so years, it's been hard to find anything perfect.

I find that I need something right between a pink and a rose, very cool, and even then, I need to always put a little paler, frosty looking pink on parts of the lip. It's never really exactly right.

There can be absolutely no peach or brown in the color, or I look awful.

I really think I've given up.

Esteemed Contributor

Constance2, I got the IT WHITE lipstick with the French name, also gave as gift with the gloss.  Turns a beautiful soft pink and last yet very moist.

Valued Contributor

I feel your confusion, @Constance2.  I love red tones, but cannot wear them without looking as if I belong in a slasher movie as a just-killed victim.  I am rather pale, & although my mother had an olive skin-tone, my own skin tone shade doesn't seem to be that deep.  I have found that the best shade & color on me is a muted apricot with a shimmer to it, to brighten up my face.  It can't be too orange, nor can it be too pink or red.  I cannot begin to tell you how many lipsticks I've wasted money on, trying to find that perfect one....to no avail.  I keep trying, but it sure is frustrating!

At this point, the one I am most happy with is Dior Addict Lip Glow in Sheer Pink Coral, which is very emollient & soothing, yet adds a very nice bit of color to my otherwise aging, pale lips that blend with my skin-tone.  It is a bit pricey, but I love the way it soothes & also offers color to my face, which isn't too garish or over-the-top.  I mainly just want to look amongst the living, lol!

Do you have any current favorites?

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Valued Contributor

@blueroses47, please forgive my ignorance, but could you give another hint?  I have tried several things to find the one you are referring to, but coming up blank.  Maybe I am looking at a shop that doesn't carry that line that I'm thinking you are referring to...either way, I'd really appreciate another hint, pls?  TYVM in advance Heart

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Respected Contributor

I certainly agree that there is no lipstick color that works for everyone. It's a bit like snake oil.  Just a sales pitch, and this is why I don't order kits and/or auto delivery from the cosmetic companies. The lipsticks never work.

I am 81, and fair skinned with yellow undertones.  Hair is very white.  I can't wear anything that is dark, and nothing with blue undertones, like a red/bue. I have no problem with a pale (sheer) red so long as it is not a blue red.I won't waar bright red, however.  No wines or merlot's or anything toward purple.  

So for me, lipstick has to be a coral/pink, something orangy or a pure coral.

Respected Contributor

There is no one color that works for everyone.  And if someone suggests something that's perfect for them, it might not be for you.  Case in point -   Someone recently posted that she found her "perfect pink" at the drugstore.  I went out and bought it.  It looks terrible on me and I'll never wear it.

Honored Contributor

Yep I have done that as well, only to be dissappointed!!!!!!!Same with fragrances, you smell someone that smells really good, and on you that same fragrance will smell different due to body chemistry,etc......I have not found my perfect lipstick either, but right now Estee Lauder's Intense Nude is working pretty darn good, loving the color, the texture and the wearability......It is very pricey though, and I go through lipsticks like crazy, so in between I will sometimes try a less expensive brand.......I love trying them all though!

Honored Contributor

Oh boy, can I relate !!!  

I  have  a light to medium skin tone and it's a mostly neutral undertone.      I realized some time ago that the most flattering lip color is not light or dark, but in the medium range ..... a rosy coral shade.

Last year I tried Rimmel Color Rush Intense Balm in Sun Kissed .... got it for about $5 at Walmart and have subsequently bought several on line.     Rimmel Sun Kissed is a "glossy balm" that lasts a long time,   I'm sure you can read reviews online or on the Walmart site.

This is the best lip color I've found in probably decades!   

Honored Contributor

I was watching a rerun of the Closer the other day and they had the most Gosh awful shade of lipstick on her - eeewww - when I looked at her all I could see were lips in a hideous color. It is awful what a wrong color lip can do to you.