Super Contributor

Re: A lipstick color for everyone?

[ Edited ]

SerenityNow, Your reply made me laugh.  I can so relate to what you wrote.  LOL  

I have no favorites, because I've yet to find one that hasn't been discontinued that I really like.  I'm thinking that I should probably do what you have done, try a muted shade of apricot or a muted rosy pink.  The apricot shade you described sounds really pretty.

Too heavy colors make me look like a hooker, and too light make me look pale and washed out.  My latest fiasco was an orangeish stain that was a hot mess when I stepped out the door.  It looked awful in daylight and smudged off my thin upper lip even with lip liner.  

"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson
Respected Contributor

I feel your pain!  I'm fair, and just can't do many, many shades.  I recently got and Urban Decay Naked, and like it a lot.  It's a your lips but better shade.  Just a little bit of pink.  If pink isn't good for you, they have Naked 2 and Liar.  I prefer Liar to Naked 2.  If you like a pop more color, they have one called Manic, which I'd like to try, but it's out of stock at the moment.

I also got a CC+ Serum in Live from It Cosmetics.  A bit pinker, and a very nice color on me.  I've only worn it a couple of times, because I don't think it has the staying power of UD, but it is a treatment product as well as color, and is nice.

Nars has a pencil in Rikugien, which i got as a sample, and like, but don't think to wear often.

Finally, 100% Pure has some lip pencils called creamsticks.  The mauve and berry are both nice.  

I have very sensitive skin, and some lipsticks cause my lips to blister.  The products I mentioned above all agree with me!

Valued Contributor

Valued Contributor

I am very fair and I love black honey color by Clinique. they make a gloss and an 'almost lipstick'.   Sephora has a little kit right now where you get a trial size each of the gloss, the almost lipstick, the nail polish and I think an eyeliner. 

It is a very popular color and another one that is often touted as a universal color. 

Respected Contributor

I mostly wear a nude color when I wear lipstick.  Anything too red or pink doesn't work for many women.  I usually always use some type of lip moisturizer such as neutrogena but find that a very light color in a lipstick works for me.  

Trusted Contributor

The thought of a lip color that looks  good on everyone, while enticing...is impossible.   All of us have a different skin tone, color of lips, hair color and eye color, however sligt.

Look at the thousands of women who where red beautifully, most of the reds are slighty or very different in shades, but all are beautiful.  There are other women that no matter what shade of red they would wear, look awful.  Same goes for pink, peach, nude, beige, bronze and all of the rest.

I don't give a thought to ads that say "this is a lip color for all women".

Way back when, Michael Maron made a lip color that was split, one shade on one half, another shade on the other.  Wish I could remember what it was.  I went through several tubes and why it was discontinued, I'll never know.  That is the closest I've ever come to a "one size fits all".

I suppose the one color we can all wear is clear gloss!  

Valued Contributor

Quinny,

I remember that shade, it was quite lovely. I miss Mojave Magic. He had some really nice items. I still have some of the brushes.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't believe that there is one shade that flatters everyone, although certain pinky brown shades (ie. Revlon Pink Truffle)may come close. I do prefer peachier shades on me, ie. L'oreal Toasted Almond, UD Liar, another favorite is Too Faced Spice Spice Baby.

Respected Contributor

Typically, a warm dusty pink (not too light) works on most skin tones (a bit darker for those with rich skin tones.) 

In terms of "flattering" --pink is the least aging and most volumizing color. Mally makes a range of pinks that are quite good--her "French Kiss" is one I'd try. A274191

Bare Escentuals makes a nice lipstick--"Marvelous Moxie" Obsessed with Pink. A266515

Great texture, and the gloss is really nice (it's minty but it's one of the best glosses I've tried.)

The Bare Escentuals "Oil Balm" is a lighter formula and they also feel good on the lips.They are sold in a trio but all the colors are great. They are a cross between a balm and a lipstick and less dense. A261229

Respected Contributor

My new favorite warm pink lipstick is NYX Indian Pink. It is perfect! The lady working at my Ulta store even asked me what color I was wearing. She was surprised because it is not an expensive brand (like she was expecting). She grabbed the last one (I had the other 3).