Contributor

A good check on Vit C serums

Pardon me if I cannot recall where I read this info, but I took it to heart and followed it. I spend a fair amount of money on what I perceive to be good Vitamin C serums. The advice was to invest in the ph testing tape(roll costs about $8.00 and will last a very long time). dip a piece of strip in your serum, it will tell you how potent or NOT your serum is and that you may be wasting your money on a particular brand. a 3.5 is right where a serum should be..anything higher, indicates it has never been potent or effective or it has already oxidized...I tested 2 from different companies and they both came up with a high number indicating there was never Vit C in them or it had oxidized or came to me already oxidized!...waste of money!....I tried two of Philosophy's Vit C products and BINGO!, they both tested right on the 3.5 mark!  I was impressed. the ph tape is a good investment for my money!!...told me what I needed to know...

Honored Contributor

Re: A good check on Vit C serums

[ Edited ]

@ChanelNanny

I think I was was the poster who recommended the pH test paper strips. I'm so happy that you found it to be useful.

I might add that the pH of most VC serums should be close to 3.5 and that goes for the ascorbic acid variety of serums. The MAP VC variety should be close to pH 6 to 7. So it's very important to check your ingredients on the bottle and see what kind of VC is in there before you decide to toss it.Woman Happy

Here's the thread where I mentioned the pH test strips:

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Beauty/Vitamin-C-serum-potency/m-p/5147635#M677900

Contributor

oh, a big thank you for that hint!..I ordered my ph roll as soon as I read it and it came 2 days later...this was an AHH- HAA moment!...and I have my degree in chemistry, you would think I would have thought of doing this sooner....but nope, so thanks again..great, great tip!...and ps, I did check the ingredients on any of my bottles to check the form of C before I tested.

Honored Contributor

Knowing the science is empowering. 

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee, Please share what brands test good.
I'm always on the hunt. I sometimes order Timeless C. They claim to prepare it fresh before they ship it...but I've never tested anything. Good info...thanks!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin wrote:
@SilleeMee, Please share what brands test good.
I'm always on the hunt. I sometimes order Timeless C. They claim to prepare it fresh before they ship it...but I've never tested anything. Good info...thanks!!

I don't know! @Dazlin I make my own VC serum and I have been using that for a long time so I'm out of the loop when it comes to picking a good VC serum. All I can suggest is to test your VC serum as soon as you get it home and if it doesn't have the correct pH then return it if you can and get a refund.

ETA - Sometimes you will find the pH stated on the bottle or in the description of the serum on a website. Paula's Choice C Booster is one example where it tells you the pH in the description of the product on her website. But I would still test it just to be sure that what I got is good and not spoiled in some way.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Where did you order the ph testing roll?

Honored Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

Where did you order the ph testing roll?

@chiclet

Please see message 2 in this thread and there I posted the link to the original thread about the pH test strips. Woman Happy

Contributor

the two Vit C products from Philosophy that tested right on the money were...TIME IN A BOTTLE ...and...TURBO BOOST C POWDER(in the little brown bottle)...this product is great and because it is a powder, it's like you mix fresh every time. I started adding it to my leftover ineffective Vit C serums that I had tested and they tested poorly, by adding this powder it now renders them Vit. C rich and it saved me from throwing those away and wasting money.

Super Contributor

That's brilliant! HeartTY