Honored Contributor

Re: A Tribute To Mom, My Beauty Mentor

@MissRose722

My condolences to you and your family.  How very sorry I am for your loss.  I am so deeply touched by this tribute that you have posted and that you have shared with us.

She was a lovely lady and I am sure everyone who knew her was blessed to have her in their lives.  

I am tearing up reading about how she would come home from work and bring you and your sister little surprises of the samples.  What wonderful memories you have.  No matter how long we have them in our lives, it is never long enough!!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

You had a close, loving relationship. That is the gift she also gave you.

Trust me, she will be with you always.

Respected Contributor

Your Mom is a truly beautiful woman.

I am so sorry for your loss.  There's no one like your mother.

Hyacinth

Valued Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  My Mom passed away nearly four years ago from breast cancer.  I still and I always will feel her with me.  While I do not cry now I have melancholy days  just thinking about her.  My Mom loved her Church social club for seniors and she had such a big smile.

Honored Contributor

@MissRose722 wrote:

My beloved Mom passed away last week. She was battling a form of leukemia (CLL) for 3-1/2 years. On Thursday, 10/15 she went into cardiac arrest and could not be revived. The doctor advised that Mom went quickly and did not suffer. It was a truly heartbreaking day for my sister and I, as Dad passed away five years ago. But we find comfort knowing that our parents are now reunited.

The reason why I’m posting this on Beauty Banter is because Mom was my beauty mentor. It’s on another thread here, but we were discussing about old-time drugstores. Back when service was a top priority; if a customer needed something, the employee would gladly help them obtain that item. At many of these drugstores, there was a lady behind those gleaming glass counters. The pretty lady at Lyon Park Pharmacy was my Mom. Always smiling, always helpful, always caring about the customers. Dad worked full-time and Mom worked part-time. When Mom worked, my maternal grandmother, “Nannie” would care for me and my sister Diane. But when Mom got home from work, she would surprise us with samples of lipsticks, eye shadows, face powders and nail polishes.

About 25 years ago Mom, who was an avid reader, went to our local bookstore (sadly no longer in business). She picked up a book for me called “Don’t Go To The Cosmetics Counter Without Me” by Paula Begoun. It was the first edition, and she thought I would be interested in reading it. Read it I did, from beginning to end. And then in 1991, I picked up a brand new magazine all about beauty called Allure – I immediately subscribed to it and have been a subscriber ever since, sharing the magazine with Mom.

Mom was truly beautiful inside and out. When she was a teenager, she was nicknamed “Vivien Leigh” because she had chestnut hair, flawless porcelain skin and sparkling green eyes. She always took care of her skin, and was still the beauty in her later years. She also told us to make sure to apply plenty of suntan lotion instead of baby oil when going to the beach. Then when SPF products became available, she advised using them. And always wash and moisturize our faces. Diane and I credit our great skin to our Mom.

The photo below is of Mom taken several years ago. Still quite the beauty. We were truly blessed to have had two wonderful parents, and a Mom who taught us good skincare to boot. And of course, a Mom who loved beauty products.

Thank you all for letting me share my feelings.

Blessings,

Paula aka MissRose722

cerone_03.jpg

@MissRose722, my thoughts are with you and your family on your mom's passing. 

From what you shared, you and your mom had a beautiful relationship that was enhanced by the love of beauty knowledge that you both shared. 

It was wonderful the way you described how she shared her knowledge of beauty at the pharmacy where she worked.And how she picked up Paula Begoun's first book which started you on your discovery road to all things beauty. 

Please know that I'm sending positive energy to you and your family. 

Be well. Smiley Happy

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

I'm so sorry for your loss. 

Esteemed Contributor

I am late to your thread and so sorry for your loss.  Your mother left you a wonderful lesson and seems she was also a blessing too.

So different from my mother who was born a natural drop dead beauty.  However, she never took care of herself and she didn't care.  I learned about outer appearances on my own and from cosmetic experts.  I learned that beauty comes from within.  Loveliness is what we are born with and something we gals can choose to care for or just take no interest.  I didn't want to be like my mother - her example to me was "just don't care'. The lesson to me was, don't be like her.  My blessing has been I inherited her natual loveliness and I have cared for what the creator has given me.  Can't say I haven't reaped rewards. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust