Contributor

Re: A Test To Check Your Lip Products and Makeup For Lead

As a chemist I know you can put a water on aluminum foil and over time it eventually will also rub off with a dark color. A black resdidue is not a confirmation for lead but perhaps aluminum oxide.  The only way this technique could be proved to show the presence of lead is to have the residue analyzed.  Don't be fooled by anything visual.  

Valued Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

Midnight...I appreciate you posting this. Thank you for taking the time to empower us.  Of course certain manufacturers would rather we don't have this information and will denigrate efforts to expose this information.  How did the Suzanne Sommers test?

ITA! And the beauty experts (LOL) posting here ALWAYS have to defend the products they use. So typical and predictable.

Honored Contributor

So typical and predictable.

Just like you. HeartWoman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOL

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Valued Contributor

@mostf wrote:

As a chemist I know you can put a water on aluminum foil and over time it eventually will also rub off with a dark color. A black resdidue is not a confirmation for lead but perhaps aluminum oxide.  The only way this technique could be proved to show the presence of lead is to have the residue analyzed.  Don't be fooled by anything visual.  

mostf now this i can believe..Snopes debunking and the fda saying there are safe amounts in makeup no...I dont want any lead in my makeup.....I came to post a sight i found that is a voice for safer cosmetics and they said they cant say the tinfoil test is accurate also...I just found a website called skin deep and will look there for a couple items..Thank you for sharing!.

Jean want to thank you to even tho i have no trust in the FDA your heart was in the right place....Wishing all of you a happy thanksgiving.

Respected Contributor

@Midnight11 wrote:

@mostf wrote:

mostf now this i can believe..Snopes debunking and the fda saying there are safe amounts in makeup no...I dont want any lead in my makeup.....I came to post a sight i found that is a voice for safer cosmetics and they said they cant say the tinfoil test is accurate also...I just found a website called skin deep and will look there for a couple items..Thank you for sharing!.

Jean want to thank you to even tho i have no trust in the FDA your heart was in the right place....Wishing all of you a happy thanksgiving.

Skin Deep is not a credible source, IMO.  Huge agenda.  Since you were open minded and appreciated the input from @mostf maybe you'd take a moment to read some articles through Realize Beauty (Australian) and The Beauty Brains (US).

Honored Contributor

Very gracious on your part, Midnight, and a very good example of evaluating and balancing opinions based on fact.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to you too!

Valued Contributor

@MidNight, thank you for caring enough to share this info with others.  If people wonder if this is a bona fide testing method, they are free to research it & share their findings, but you have alerted people to something many of us have not realized was a possibe risk, & I for one appreciate your efforts & the spirit in which it was intended.  Smiley Happy

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Respected Contributor

@violann wrote:

Very gracious on your part, Midnight, and a very good example of evaluating and balancing opinions based on fact.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to you too!

@MidNight@violann is absolutely spot on.  I have a lot of respect for someone who will keep an open mind and evaluate.  Happy Thanksgiving.

Valued Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

So typical and predictable.

Just like you. HeartWoman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOL

And you too!!!:womanlol:Woman LOLWoman LOL

Honored Contributor

I can speak only for myself. I was and still am skeptical of the test and glad that the OP now has such doubts as well. I am, though, also concerned by a blanket dismissal both of sites that help us decide whether something is fact and fiction or somewhere in between and government agencies, which are not perfect but do serve an extremely important function.

And as for the "poster" who opined that I and others are just defending our products? That doesn't even make sense in the context of this thread. Lipstick is really not the point here; it's the idea of relying on credible sources and research rather than on flimsy science and misinformation.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland