Esteemed Contributor

I don't usually keep old makeup around, especially eye makeup including mascara. And things I don't like I don't keep around either.

But it's fun to buy and try out makeup and I can see how auto deliveries can make your beauty stash bigger. I once had an A/D for tooth whitening bleach that used a blue light and tray. I ended up not using a lot of them and gave them away.

Trusted Contributor

@mimi5775 wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

Ran out of my Smashbox undereye primer, but knew I had bought a new one.  Went looking through my stash and couldn't find it.  See one of those bags we get with all the kits (how many of those do you have?  haha) and look in it and, lo and behold, there's my primer.  But also in that bag were TWO Tarte eyeshadow palettes, two tarte undereye concealers, an Inner Rim Liner, and several (like 5 or 6) mascaras.  I totally don't have any idea when I bought those.  I'm guessing maybe it was an auto-delivery at least on everything but the liner.  It's bad enough when you know you have too much makeup and don't need to get any more, but when you have makeup you didn't even know you had, it's a bit embarrassing.  

lol...this points the finger to having a wee 'makeup problem' LOL!

I have been in the same boat but not as 'bad' lol.

I have a diff prob.

I have boxes upon boxes of brushes great things new and old and hold onto them.

I give much away to charities..a lot.

BUT as I got older and kept buying cosmetics, I would try something at times just once and if it didn't work, it went back for a return or I hold onto these cosmetics thus making me a makeup hoarder. My sister is the SAME we are 13 months apart.

It's a prob and outta the bag now.

I cannot donate used makeup sadly Smiley Sad

I hear ya though.

We love the stuff and will till we are lil old ladies!

Wait! I'm getting there now at 60 LOLOL!

@mimi5775, We have the same affliction and I just turned 66! Each time I explore my "stuff," I find new makeup! My sister loves to visit, she knows she'll go home with boxes of makeup, brushes and my real love...hair stuff. Yes, I am a makeup hoarder too. 

Trusted Contributor

@wishmoon wrote:

@mimi5775 wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

Ran out of my Smashbox undereye primer, but knew I had bought a new one.  Went looking through my stash and couldn't find it.  See one of those bags we get with all the kits (how many of those do you have?  haha) and look in it and, lo and behold, there's my primer.  But also in that bag were TWO Tarte eyeshadow palettes, two tarte undereye concealers, an Inner Rim Liner, and several (like 5 or 6) mascaras.  I totally don't have any idea when I bought those.  I'm guessing maybe it was an auto-delivery at least on everything but the liner.  It's bad enough when you know you have too much makeup and don't need to get any more, but when you have makeup you didn't even know you had, it's a bit embarrassing.  

I have a diff prob.

BUT as I got older and kept buying cosmetics, I would try something at times just once and if it didn't work, it went back for a return or I hold onto these cosmetics thus making me a makeup hoarder. My sister is the SAME we are 13 months apart.

I hear ya though.

@mimi5775, We have the same affliction and I just turned 66! Each time I explore my "stuff," I find new makeup! My sister loves to visit, she knows she'll go home with boxes of makeup, brushes and my real love...hair stuff. Yes, I am a makeup hoarder too. 

@wishmoonyou're too funny. I just brought over a HUGE box of stuff to my sister's home where we had a nice big dinner on Easter, she's a dr. and has a severe QVC addiction and cosmetic prob on top of it ...it runs in the family :-O.

My niece who worked many years at Birchbox (yeah baby!) but lost a lot in a fire in her NYC apt., so she was happy to find a few coveted items! She and my cousin 61 (lol) shared the box but there was a lot leftover and more here! the nail polishes and some other things will go to a charity that picks things up for me. Things like hair dryers and hair products barely used...cosmetic brushes I'm sure even the workers would love them!

I guess I'm better now with not keeping what doesn't work for me sending back asap. It helps!!!!

We are not alone my dear Smiley Wink  

My son went to Heaven 4/15/2018
I love and miss him so very much. God Bless you my dear Nicky
Esteemed Contributor

I get excited when I find something cool I didn't remember I had.  It's like finding a $20 bill in your jeans pocket!!

Image result for happy squirrel

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Respected Contributor

You know, I have played with this a long time ago when Bare Minerals was all loose powder. As much as I loved it, oh that powder went everywhere!

One morning, my then little DD was doing water color....I carried those little pots to where she was working and started playing on paper....I'm not great with color, but consider the colors you get in a eye shadow palette....you won't find those in Crayola water colors or pencils!

One of my friends is an art teacher in a public school and of course, she's the last to get funding-if at all....I mean, eye shadow is not meant for consumption, but it's pretty non-toxic....and Heck, it washes out if it gets on clothes.... Now this is what I call "shadow art"! 

I'm serious....

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

Oh, and I want to make a confession....after my organizing, I vowed to buy no more-except skin care....

But what do you think happened when Eve Pearl aired her TSV? or Doris Dalton? I caved-of course.....

What do you think happened when I read about the wonders of Korean Skin Care-right here-and saw raves about products?

Why, I bought them-yes! And they are phenomenal! And as skin-care goes- inexpensive!

......and brushes....I have given so many away, but as I buy, I keep collecting these beautiful brushes: I have bought them separate, but most came with purchases and after all these years, they have lasted.... the problem is, I have found that when a brush or applicator comes with a particular higher end cosmetic, use it. But their morphology differs from brush to brush....but I barely remember what any are used for!!!

Poodlepet2

Trusted Contributor

@mimi5775 wrote:

@wishmoon wrote:

@mimi5775 wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

I have a diff prob.

I hear ya though.

@wishmoonyou're too funny. I just brought over a HUGE box of stuff to my sister's home where we had a nice big dinner on Easter, she's a dr. and has a severe QVC addiction and cosmetic prob on top of it ...it runs in the family :-O.

My niece who worked many years at Birchbox (yeah baby!) but lost a lot in a fire in her NYC apt., so she was happy to find a few coveted items! She and my cousin 61 (lol) shared the box but there was a lot leftover and more here! the nail polishes and some other things will go to a charity that picks things up for me. Things like hair dryers and hair products barely used...cosmetic brushes I'm sure even the workers would love them!

I guess I'm better now with not keeping what doesn't work for me sending back asap. It helps!!!!

We are not alone my dear Smiley Wink   

@mimi5775, OMG, my sister from another mother! Wait a minute, your sister isn't named, Jackie, is she? I think the family tree just got bigger!

I canceled Birchbox, not because I didn't like it but one day I had the "bright" idea to buy those subscription boxes and ordered 3 or 4. I get the same samples from Sephora so decided, I may be tripling up. Smiley Very Happy I received those for about a yr.

Don't even mention nail polish! 

Have to run, just saw some stuff on Beauty IQ. No, seems we are not alone, lucky for these cosmetic companies where we're referred to as, "paychecks".

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Icegoddess

I would think it's embarrassing.  If you purchase so much that you no longer even know what you have in stashes, it's time to stop.   

Yes, I realize if you can afford it, you can spend your money any way you want.  That's not the point I'm making.  But what is the appeal of wasting money on stuff that will go bad before it ever gets used?    The only party that benefits is the vendor.  JMO

Honored Contributor

I actually purchase more skin care than makeup.  The reason I find things I forgot about is I don't have much space at my vanity so I kinda have to find places to store things.  I'll use them, so no worries.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Icegoddess

I would think it's embarrassing.  If you purchase so much that you no longer even know what you have in stashes, it's time to stop.   

Yes, I realize if you can afford it, you can spend your money any way you want.  That's not the point I'm making.  But what is the appeal of wasting money on stuff that will go bad before it ever gets used?    The only party that benefits is the vendor.  JMO

No, I don't have a problem, thank you.  It's not that I have so much makeup I don't know what I have.  I really don't buy that much.  More than likely I bought that or was on an auto-delivery at a time when I was preoccupied at the time they came in and put them away until I wasn't so busy.  Probably when I was busy around the time my Dad died and I kept having to make trips over there to deal with the estate.  And eyeshadow doesn't go bad just sitting in the closed container.  Most of what I have bought lately has just been to replenish what I am running out of.

My husband will be the first to tell you I am very responsible with money.