Honored Contributor

Re: A FEW HOURS FOR @SHANUS QUESTIONS?

@KBEANS wrote:

@Shanus  I've never seen this thread before. Thanks. It's wonderful that you take the time to do this! 😘 

After all these years, I am still an amateur when it comes to applying mascara.  I'd like to wear it everyday, but 'm terrible at applying. Any tips? Also, is it gauche to just do the upper lashes? Can you recommend 2 great mascara's? A drugstore brand and a prestige if possible. No rush. Anser when and if you can.

Thanks, Kbeans 

Good morning @KBEANS . I haven't worn mascara on bottom lashes in years. I do, however put a thin line of a neutral shadow...usually the same one I use in the crease area. This gives me the definition without a harsh line or dark mascara that can pull the eye down or exaggerate dark circles.

For mascara on top lashes, if you use your pinky and press lightly on your lid, your lashes will lift up slightly. This allows you to be sure mascara goes on more thickly at the roots for definition. Then slide the wand upwards to add length and color. If any mascara transfers to top lid (under brow), wait until dry before removing with a q tip.  I do wipe off the wand first to avoid too much mascara on the wand which can cause clumping.

I have used L'Oreal Voluminous mascara for years. Since I toss it every 3 months from time opened and don't wear it every day, a $25+ mascara is not for me. I do recommend Lancome Monsieur Big as my choice for a dept. store mascara.  

Trusted Contributor

Not a question @Shanus , but a great big THANK YOU!  I tried your trick of using whatever lipstick I was wearing as a bit of blush to help make the look cohesive and it WORKS!  I only use matte lipstick, of course, but it has allowed me to use pinks and berries and have my face look like I thought about it!  For a pale nude pink lipstick, I'll top with a slight bit of one of my pinkier blushes (usually with a bit of a sheen) and I don't look like a clown or someone who is 60+ trying to look 30! 

The tricks you have are genius!  Thanks again.   

Respected Contributor

@Shanus  I wouldn't want to be pink all over but I have used pink blush as a bronzer on my cheeks & high points then over my nose, on the top of my forhead & a swipe on the chin. I got the idea years ago from Laura Geller & remember she said to blend well. It does look as if I got some sun. Its more of a halo effect. 

I am sure your aware of it. This might be something @Judaline might like. Also Wayne Goss has a youtube video on how to use blush as a bronzer. Its not for everyone lol!

Honored Contributor

@Sammijo10   You're very welcome. So happy my tips are useful to you.