Valued Contributor

Re: A FEW HOURS FOR @SHANUS QUESTIONS?

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@Toots711 wrote:

@Shanus 

1) Do you have an opinion on RMS cosmetics?

2) For years I have liked the appearance of actress Bo Derek's makeup, particularly her blush placement and the luminosity. Do you know how this is achieved?

TYIA!

C80B09A5-9271-4AAE-8A73-A4596BEE1636.jpeg

F86D6CA9-4A38-4081-AF81-3D7AE6ED3145.jpeg

C11E951F-B433-4A2D-B406-A303E6D82BEE.jpeg

@Toots711   Bo Derek at age 64, certainly has had the advantage of deep peels and maybe lasers after spending much time time in the CA sun to keep her skin clear and plumped. I would also assume, like many celebrities at that age, she's has had surgery and botox/fillers. 

I would guess she has famous dermatologists giving advice on skincare and frequent facials. Long story short, with wonderful skin and few wrinkles, you're free to wear less makeup and a natural look like Bo Derek has always favored. 

Because she has plump cheeks, she plays that up with a light pink blush and some highlighter/shimmer blush on top. A good product to try that's similar is Bobbi Brown's Illuminating Bronzer in Antiqua...not really a bronze tone, but rather a pink blush with a bit of shimmer. That's what I wear when I use a powder blush. You can also use a cream blush in a pale pink (if coloring similar to hers) and add a bit of cream highlighter (I prefer a cream shimmer eye shadow in a pinkish tone) and mix them together in your hand before tapping them lightly on the cheek. Unless your face/cheeks are naturally "lifted" and very smooth, I wouldn't apply any blush on the apples of cheeks like she does. 

It's impossible to duplicate a star's makeup look and have it come out the same. Few women have the same face shape and bone structure as the celebrities they admire.

***Second question about RMS. There are some products that are good and I like Ms. Swift's approach to makeup...natural and not matte. Her concealers are wonderful...creamy and spot on matches. All ".5" shades are more of a corrector, as she explains, since they have a slight peach tone. The Luminizers which are her calling card product is good if you are careful with placement and use a tiny bit. I tried it on top of my cream blush instead of placing it where she demonstrated in an area over the blush. I think after a certain age, shine products should be kept away from the under eye/possibly  wrinkled area. The mascara does hold lashes in a curl. The lip balms can be found in a drug store. The colors aren't that unual to find. My Burt's Bees in a cranberry shade is very similar. Her blush palcement is spot on not going below the nostrils. I also do the 2 fingers next to the  nose before placing blush. Here's the resoning. The middle of the face should remain lighter than the rest. It's the area people see first...eyes, lips, etc. If lighter, it's naturally highlighted without using additional shimmer products. In general, RMS is better for normal to dry skin. The Brow Powders are 3 good shades, but can be dupilcated w/ eyeshadows or brow powders in the drugstore price range. Most shadow palettes also have similar shades to use. Her brow brush is unique. I have that and it's a game changer to create a natural looking fuller brow. The slanted brow brushes tend to add a harsher line and too much color. Yes, using it wet, as she says, is a good idea if missing brow hairs and need that extra filling in. Were there particular products you wanted info about?

Apologies for a long post to answer your questions.

@Shanus  Sincere thanks for your detailed reply!!!

Seems to me I once read that Bo Derek's Mother had been a makeup artist for celebrities. 

Edited to add:

I purchased and tried the following RMS products:

Lip balm

Eyebrow color in light shade, which I like, and am awaiting the RMS brush

Lip2cheek, which gives only just a hint of color on my fair skin.

Uncover concealer, which I still am unsure if I am satisfied with the coverage. Years ago I tried Bobbi Brown, and then in recent years Tarte Shape Tape. I find I am critical of the results. 

Contributor

Hi Shanus,

Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.

Have you heard why it's getting harder to find Marc Jacobs eyeliners?  They used to be available at Neiman Marcus and Sephora.  

And what is your opinion of Chanel eyeshadow eyeliners?  I recently ordered one from Nordstrom after reading mostly positive reviews.  It's called the Stylo Ombre ET Contour Eyeshadow Liner in the shade called Contour Beige.  Thought it would complement my blue eyes.

Thank you for all the helpful info!

Honored Contributor

Hi @Shanus  You still there? I am so perfect I had to think a while to come up with something and a hahaha to that!

I have seen "stars" on tv that appear to have on a pink foundation. Their faces are pink all over. That's how I look when I go out in the sun (when I DID go out in the sun) and it's becoming to me. I have tried foundations that say "pink" but they aren't. I love RMS concealer/foundation in the larger jar. I dot it on my skin wherever I need it and I was lucky enough to pick a color my exact skin tone. No one knows! But I still yearn to be pink.

Thanks for all you do.

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

Hi @Shanus  You still there? I am so perfect I had to think a while to come up with something and a hahaha to that!

I have seen "stars" on tv that appear to have on a pink foundation. Their faces are pink all over. That's how I look when I go out in the sun (when I DID go out in the sun) and it's becoming to me. I have tried foundations that say "pink" but they aren't. I love RMS concealer/foundation in the larger jar. I dot it on my skin wherever I need it and I was lucky enough to pick a color my exact skin tone. No one knows! But I still yearn to be pink.

Thanks for all you do.

@Judaline   That's a tough one to answer since most women don't want to be pink all over their faces. Most even out their skin if they have pink/red splotches. "Pink foundations" are for very cool complexions, but will still try to even out complexions, not be actually PINK. Maybe your TV color needs to be adjusted (lol) or those stars have way too much blush or a too pink fake tan. Sorry can't help with that question. 

Honored Contributor

@AbbeyPenny wrote:

Hi Shanus,

Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.

Have you heard why it's getting harder to find Marc Jacobs eyeliners?  They used to be available at Neiman Marcus and Sephora.  

And what is your opinion of Chanel eyeshadow eyeliners?  I recently ordered one from Nordstrom after reading mostly positive reviews.  It's called the Stylo Ombre ET Contour Eyeshadow Liner in the shade called Contour Beige.  Thought it would complement my blue eyes.

Thank you for all the helpful info!

@AbbeyPenny   Most of the Marc Jacobs' makeup is on sale at Sephora and difficult to locate elsewhere. I think it's either being reformulated or being discontinued. Chanel liners are not my favorite. They're not as waterproof as others I've used. I like UD 24/7 pencils and Lancome Stylo pencils. I'm not sure what the "contour beige" shade looks like, but with blue eyes, a dark bronze would be flattering if you don't need definition. At a certain age, we lose that and need a deeper shade to define the top eyelid and make lashes appear darker that have lightened or become sparse.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Toots711   Sounds like RMS is your new favorite line. Concealers: Shape tape is too thick and heavier coverage than most women need. I prefer the Bobbi Brown and Nars Radiant Creamy concealer. Using a creamy peach toned corrector underneath means using less concealer and less settling into lines. 

PS. Not sure if you're familiar with BB's new line JONES ROAD. The products are quite similar to RMS...colored cheek/face balms, liner, mascara, a face pencil in many shades that can be concealer and face touch up, as well as similar lip balms to RMS. You may want to check it out and/or compare prices or get a sample kit. ***BB's is also clean beauty.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

You're welcome to all who enjoyed asking questions. Heart

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus     I too appreciate your advise.  I have a question about cream blush.  I love the look of them on a woman my age.  I can  still wear powdered blush quite well because I don't have any lines on my cheeks.... yet!!  Not to say I don't have them around my mouth, under eyes, or some puppet lines because I do! 

To the point........While my skin is good and smooth, I have lots of sun damage and lots of light to medium sun spots so after I have covered them the best I can with foundation and concealer, I feel the cream blush will wipe all that away. So, in your opinion, should I just  give up the idea of cream blush or maybe you know of a powdered blush that looks more like a cream blush??   

I edited this to add that I do go for that dewy look. 

Honored Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

@Shanus     I too appreciate your advise.  I have a question about cream blush.  I love the look of them on a woman my age.  I can  still wear powdered blush quite well because I don't have any lines on my cheeks.... yet!!  Not to say I don't have them around my mouth, under eyes, or some puppet lines because I do! 

To the point........While my skin is good and smooth, I have lots of sun damage and lots of light to medium sun spots so after I have covered them the best I can with foundation and concealer, I feel the cream blush will wipe all that away. So, in your opinion, should I just  give up the idea of cream blush or maybe you know of a powdered blush that looks more like a cream blush??   

I edited this to add that I do go for that dewy look. 

@jubilant   Caught this question browsing through  my threads. If you tap, not rub, the cream blush on with your fingers, it shouldn't disturb foundation, etc. It also depends on which blush you're using. If it's very emollient (greasy) it'll be harder to blend. You can also lightly powder with a finely milled setting powder and see if your cream blush works on top. Most of the time, cream products go on first and then powders. Let me know if this helps. ***Many times I use the lipstick I'm wearing as my blush for a unified look.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus  I've never seen this thread before. Thanks. It's wonderful that you take the time to do this! 😘 

After all these years, I am still an amateur when it comes to applying mascara.  I'd like to wear it everyday, but 'm terrible at applying. Any tips? Also, is it gauche to just do the upper lashes? Can you recommend 2 great mascara's? A drugstore brand and a prestige if possible. No rush. Anser when and if you can.

Thanks, Kbeans