Super Contributor

Re: A FEW HOURS FOR @SHANUS QUESTIONS?

@Shanus @Hi, could you please tell me what eyeshadow looks good on older, crinkled lids? Also I have very thin brows and missing hair from arch out on left brow. What looks okay on hairless spots? Thank you

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

Has anyone thought of questions not answered last time?

Someone here posted some really pretty eye shadows from Drew Barrymore (her flower line?).  I'd like to pick them up and put away for Christmas for my daughter.  How long does eyeshadows last?  I won't be opening it.

@ScrapHappy   If powder shadows, they last indefinitely. I've had some palettes for almost 10 yrs. and because I don't use some of them often, there are plenty of shades left to try out. You'll be fine from now until Dec. 

Trusted Contributor

@depglass wrote:

Someone mentioned blotting tips from a vendor a couple days ago, but they were not repeated in the thread.  To blot or not to blot?  I've found blotting makes application last longer but takes away some of the effect.  Does the type of lip product make a difference, creamy lipstick, matte liquid, gloss, etc?

@depglass  Here's the video you mention where m/u artist Rose Marie Swift explains her blotting technique.  It's about 5:25 into the video. 

https://www.qvc.com/rms-beauty-Tinted-Daily-Lip-BalTrio.product.A398110.html?productNumber=a3981

Honored Contributor

@Rose429 wrote:

@Shanus @Hi, could you please tell me what eyeshadow looks good on older, crinkled lids? Also I have very thin brows and missing hair from arch out on left brow. What looks okay on hairless spots? Thank you

@Rose429   If lids are crinkled (or crepey), stay with matte shadows over an eyelid primer. You can also use a cream shadow stick in a lighter color as your base. They're usually waterproof or long lasting. A spot of light  shimmer shadow just over the pupil gives your eye brightness. At my age, I don't do crazy looks w/ lots of colors. I usually stick with a light, neutral shade on my lid and in the crease and slightly above, I use a shade that's 2 or 3 shades darker than my skin tone. This gives me a semi-defined crease (where my outer eye has started to become a bit hooded), but not an obvious dark line IN the crease which can make your eye socket look sunken. 

Brows: I always use 3 products. Don't get scared, it's easy. I use a pencil on the tails where hairs may be sparse or missing. Them I use a powder (either brow powder or most palettes have a taupe or a few brown shades you can mix. This creates a shadow behind the brow hair that makes them fuller, but not painted on. I finish w/ a brow gel. Some gels have fibers in them if you need some extra fullness and they can be clear or a color if you need to cover those pesky grey hairs. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus I don't have any questions but I think it's so cool that you do this!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus 

1) Do you have an opinion on RMS cosmetics?

2) For years I have liked the appearance of actress Bo Derek's makeup, particularly her blush placement and the luminosity. Do you know how this is achieved?

TYIA!

C80B09A5-9271-4AAE-8A73-A4596BEE1636.jpeg

F86D6CA9-4A38-4081-AF81-3D7AE6ED3145.jpeg

C11E951F-B433-4A2D-B406-A303E6D82BEE.jpeg

Super Contributor

@Shanus @Thank you

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@Shanus I don't have any questions but I think it's so cool that you do this!

Thank you @Love my grandkids . I enjoy helping out with questions/answers when I can.

Honored Contributor

@Toots711 wrote:

@Shanus 

1) Do you have an opinion on RMS cosmetics?

2) For years I have liked the appearance of actress Bo Derek's makeup, particularly her blush placement and the luminosity. Do you know how this is achieved?

TYIA!

C80B09A5-9271-4AAE-8A73-A4596BEE1636.jpeg

F86D6CA9-4A38-4081-AF81-3D7AE6ED3145.jpeg

C11E951F-B433-4A2D-B406-A303E6D82BEE.jpeg

@Toots711   Bo Derek at age 64, certainly has had the advantage of deep peels and maybe lasers after spending much time time in the CA sun to keep her skin clear and plumped. I would also assume, like many celebrities at that age, she's has had surgery and botox/fillers. 

I would guess she has famous dermatologists giving advice on skincare and frequent facials. Long story short, with wonderful skin and few wrinkles, you're free to wear less makeup and a natural look like Bo Derek has always favored. 

Because she has plump cheeks, she plays that up with a light pink blush and some highlighter/shimmer blush on top. A good product to try that's similar is Bobbi Brown's Illuminating Bronzer in Antiqua...not really a bronze tone, but rather a pink blush with a bit of shimmer. That's what I wear when I use a powder blush. You can also use a cream blush in a pale pink (if coloring similar to hers) and add a bit of cream highlighter (I prefer a cream shimmer eye shadow in a pinkish tone) and mix them together in your hand before tapping them lightly on the cheek. Unless your face/cheeks are naturally "lifted" and very smooth, I wouldn't apply any blush on the apples of cheeks like she does. 

It's impossible to duplicate a star's makeup look and have it come out the same. Few women have the same face shape and bone structure as the celebrities they admire.

***Second question about RMS. There are some products that are good and I like Ms. Swift's approach to makeup...natural and not matte. Her concealers are wonderful...creamy and spot on matches. All ".5" shades are more of a corrector, as she explains, since they have a slight peach tone. The Luminizers which are her calling card product is good if you are careful with placement and use a tiny bit. I tried it on top of my cream blush instead of placing it where she demonstrated in an area over the blush. I think after a certain age, shine products should be kept away from the under eye/possibly  wrinkled area. The mascara does hold lashes in a curl. The lip balms can be found in a drug store. The colors aren't that unual to find. My Burt's Bees in a cranberry shade is very similar. Her blush palcement is spot on not going below the nostrils. I also do the 2 fingers next to the  nose before placing blush. Here's the resoning. The middle of the face should remain lighter than the rest. It's the area people see first...eyes, lips, etc. If lighter, it's naturally highlighted without using additional shimmer products. In general, RMS is better for normal to dry skin. The Brow Powders are 3 good shades, but can be dupilcated w/ eyeshadows or brow powders in the drugstore price range. Most shadow palettes also have similar shades to use. Her brow brush is unique. I have that and it's a game changer to create a natural looking fuller brow. The slanted brow brushes tend to add a harsher line and too much color. Yes, using it wet, as she says, is a good idea if missing brow hairs and need that extra filling in. Were there particular products you wanted info about?

Apologies for a long post to answer your questions.

Honored Contributor

@Rose429 wrote:

@Shanus @Thank you

@Rose429   Heart