Respected Contributor

Re: A Blast from the Past-Erno Laszlo Sea Mud

Blast from the past is right....years of filling the sink and thirty splashes ! Loved the results, thanks for the memory (;
Respected Contributor

On 1/11/2014 okiebug said:

I used Erno Lazlo back in the '70's when I was single and could splurge. It really did get rid of my oily skin and breakouts, altho I think most customers then were professional women in their 30's and 40's not late teens, early 20's. it was sold in an upscale bed and bath boutique, but when it moved to the prestige department store in town the price went WAY up. It's still sold in only one store in town that I know of. I can't justify the price, but seeing the travel sizes on the Q reminded me of the Lazlo ritual and I've resumed that with the cleansing oil I'm using now. It's a fantastic product.

Okiebug - you perfectly described my aunt in law, who has used these products all of her adult life. Her skin is lovely! She lives in NYC and probably purchases it at Saks, not sure.

Respected Contributor

I was just wondering about that line a couple of weeks ago. I loved the sea mud soap. I used it for quite a while in my early 20's, but stopped when I couldn't find it anymore. I started out as a 1 o'clock, but became an 11 o'clock.

Frequent Contributor

On 1/13/2014 MarenSeattle said:

Ha! I just saw the thread on African Black Soap and immediately thought of my EL Sea Mud soap! Ditto - used in the 70's (so did Annie Hall's friend!) and was pleased with the results. We could only get it at I Magnin or Frederick & Nelson (a Marshall Field store) in Seattle. I was a 1 'o clock. :-).

To this day, I rinse at least 30 times (but not with the same water) and have often thought of how EL got me started on my skin care obsession. I've wondered how the Shake It would look compared to some other "foundations" I'm not too happy with.

I think I'll pick up the travel kit -- just for old times' sake!

Thanks for the scroll down memory lane!

Anybody else remember Etherea? :-)

Yes, I remember Etherea. It was a department store brand by Revlon and their answer to Clinique's line. They even had bonus items. I remember F&N when I lived in Seattle in the mid-70's. It was near Nordstrom on Pine, I believe. Thanks for the memories!

Super Contributor

On 1/13/2014 spenditallbaby said:

Ha! I just saw the thread on African Black Soap and immediately thought of my EL Sea Mud soap! Ditto - used in the 70's (so did Annie Hall's friend!) and was pleased with the results. We could only get it at I Magnin or Frederick & Nelson (a Marshall Field store) in Seattle. I was a 1 'o clock. :-).

To this day, I rinse at least 30 times (but not with the same water) and have often thought of how EL got me started on my skin care obsession. I've wondered how the Shake It would look compared to some other "foundations" I'm not too happy with.

Yes, I remember Etherea. It was a department store brand by Revlon and their answer to Clinique's line. They even had bonus items. I remember F&N when I lived in Seattle in the mid-70's. It was near Nordstrom on Pine, I believe. Thanks for the memories!

That would have been a wonderful time to be in Seattle. I have such fond memories of F&N, the doorman, the elevator "girls" (before your time here), the outstanding customer service, The Paul Bunyan Room... must stop myself. Smile I missed it so much I searched for F&N on eBay and bought a pair of cashmere-lined black leather gloves (great condition -- and they fit!) for $5!.

I actually preferred Etherea over Clinique, but I don't recall why now. It was pretty short-lived. Great book about the war between Charles Revson and Estee Lauder (all of them, really) entitled "Fire and Ice". I think I'll pick up a copy and read it again, as long as I seem to be living in the past. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Frequent Contributor

Yes, it was a relatively short-lived line, but I liked it, especially the make-up. I believe everything was done in purple and Clinique had their pastel-flowered packaging along with the soft green.

Frango Mints--being from back east, that was my first intro to them. They were marvelous. I worked in what was then the SeaFirst Building (the box the Space Needle came in--50 floors).

Super Contributor

Yes, it was a relatively short-lived line, but I liked it, especially the make-up. I believe everything was done in purple and Clinique had their pastel-flowered packaging along with the soft green.

Frango Mints--being from back east, that was my first intro to them. They were marvelous. I worked in what was then the SeaFirst Building (the box the Space Needle came in--50 floors).

I used to work there, too -- 23rd floor. Our watering hole was the Overdraft on the ground floor, and when that closed at 7:00, if we were still raring to go we'd head up to the Mirabu on 50! {#emotions_dlg.lol} We currently have a 76 story building (Columbia Tower) which dwarfs the SeaFirst bldg!

Yep, Etherea was dressed in purple -- my favorite color.

Super Contributor

I've used the Laszlo line since the late 1960's. It is expensive but works well for me. I have dry skin (10:30), but started out much earlier on the clock. I also use some Neutrogena products, but prefer Laszlo - it is just difficult to find in stores, so I have a stash. cheers!
Respected Contributor

I'm an 11:00-slightly dry. I have also been recommended to use the Phelytyl soap and the Light Controlling lotion. I also use the Luminous moisturizer, but an getting results from Estee Lauder Idealist. I have been breaking out a little bit, but it is very small purging on my chin. Once I'm done I don't have further breakouts I that area. I may switch off w/the Hydraphel lotion (I have a sample to try), but the travel kit looks great and I can attest that the soap has lasted me over 2 months (3 oz. size).

Respected Contributor

That would have been a wonderful time to be in Seattle. I have such fond memories of F&N, the doorman, the elevator "girls" (before your time here), the outstanding customer service, The Paul Bunyan Room... must stop myself. Smile I missed it so much I searched for F&N on eBay and bought a pair of cashmere-lined black leather gloves (great condition -- and they fit!) for $5!.

I actually preferred Etherea over Clinique, but I don't recall why now. It was pretty short-lived. Great book about the war between Charles Revson and Estee Lauder (all of them, really) entitled "Fire and Ice". I think I'll pick up a copy and read it again, as long as I seem to be living in the past. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Oh my gosh.....the elevator girls....I remember asking my Mom, why the elevator lady said "mezzanine" and what does it mean, And the Paul Bunyan room, with the lady that stood on a platform waiting for the signal that a table was available...and the tuna salad on health bread with lemon wedge, and frango mint sodas !!!! Oh, that was the best lunch ever !!(: