Super Contributor

Re: 8 Ways Gloria Steinem Improved Our Lives

On 3/29/2015 OldFoogey said:

Don`t care for the woman, did no one any favors in the long run.

I can attest from my own experience that she and others like her did me a HUGE favor in giving me confidence to choose my career and in being comfortable to stand up and defend myself and my beliefs in a profession that continues to be male-driven. AND my personal life has not suffered either.

Super Contributor

On 3/29/2015 suzyQ3 said:
On 3/29/2015 YorkieonmyPillow said:
On 3/28/2015 blahblahvampemerblah said:
On 3/28/2015 suzyQ3 said:
On 3/28/2015 momcat said:

Curiosity made me open this post, and I wish I hadn't. I truly can't stand this woman.

May I ask why? I know that you are very politically conservative, but certainly you must favor equality and advancement for women.

I don't know where to start as a conservative woman. The misconceptions abound. Conservative does not mean wimp, weakness or any other negative word along those lines. One of the many reasons I lean this way is because we say you are woman, let's hear you roar. If a woman doesn't negotiate a good salary, that's on her. You want to be prosperous, then you follow the rules to get there and don't ask the government to fund your promiscuity. Put on your big-girl panties ladies and stop blaming someone else. I don't know a single woman on my side that doesn't have the ability to stand up for herself, her family, and her community. Not a stepford wife in the bunch. Would I have a problem with a husband representing the family? Not for a second.

Ditto. Glad to see some like minds.

And I'm glad to see so many others refute this idea that an individual should have the total responsibility in society to demand equality and a comparable salary.

It's the myth of self-reliance, a myth used to punish and berate those who aren't able to just grab those bootstraps enough to do everything without some help from the rest of us.

We live in a society, not in some Ayn Rand fantasy.

THIS! ALL OF IT!!

Esteemed Contributor

Annnnnnd on a completely shallow note, who else really, really wanted to look like her? Me too.

Super Contributor

On 3/29/2015 mstyrion 1 said:

please explain what you mean b.y "did no one any favors in the ..

Respected Contributor

please explain what you mean by "did no one any favors in the long run"

Sorry but I find "true" feminists an obnoxious and opinionated bunch. I have someone that married into the family and never say a more opinionated bunch of women. Pity on the person who did not share their views, they would eat you alive.

whew.

you seem to have some very strong opinions yourself.

You must be a "true" feminist too! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

please explain what you mean by "did no one any favors in the long run"

Sorry but I find "true" feminists an obnoxious and opinionated bunch. I have someone that married into the family and never say a more opinionated bunch of women. Pity on the person who did not share their views, they would eat you alive.

I'm not sure how you distinguish "true" feminists from other feminists. I think you might be referring to those who really walked the walk. Were some of them opinionated? I'm sure. Were some obnoxious? Perhaps.

But that's part and parcel of any social movement. The vast number of people who believe that women are human beings who deserve to be treated equitably are just everyday people, many of whom have experienced being denigrated solely because of gender. I certainly experienced that.

Please keep in mind that it was only in recent U.S. history that women were given the right to vote and that women were no longer considered property.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

On 3/29/2015 K9buddy said:
On 3/29/2015 sparklestar said:
On 3/28/2015 K9buddy said:
On 3/28/2015 sparklestar said:
On 3/28/2015 Reever said: I do think that not having mothers stay at home anymore has impacted our society negatively. I feel blessed I was raised by a stay at home mom.

You can't generalize that situation. Not every child who had a stay at home mom was raised in a loving, caring, and nurturing atmosphere.

Actually, she can generalize any situation she wants. Feel free to disagree with her if you want, but it's not your place to tell her what she can and can't do.

Back at it again? What happened -- gave up on SuzyQ and you're going to start on me again.

And it's not YOUR place to tell me what I can and can't do. Practice what you preach.

Oh wait......as I recall, you called me out on that thread as being someone who she should look out for. Unfortunately, that thread was deleted by the moderator due to your nasty comment about me.

Hmmm....I missed sparklestar's helpful advice and thank her. But honestly, I already knew that.

Be careful what you say or you'll be under scrutiny as well. She'll turn on you in a minute. FYI. Also, if her 'advice' was really helpful, the mods wouldn't have deleted it! I hope you'll put me on ignore as well as I know you don't like people disagreeing with you either. I also thank you in advance.

When you didn't respond to her 'helpful advice' I was giving you credit for taking the high road. Sorry, my mistake.

I didn't respond because I meant what I had said in my final post. I never returned to that thread.

And no, I very rarely use the ignore function. So if YOU don't like my opinions or comments, then I suggest that you either not read them or put ME on ignore.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

On 3/28/2015 Reever said: I do think that not having mothers stay at home anymore has impacted our society negatively. I feel blessed I was raised by a stay at home mom.

You can't generalize that situation. Not every child who had a stay at home mom was raised in a loving, caring, and nurturing atmosphere.

Actually, she can generalize any situation she wants. Feel free to disagree with her if you want, but it's not your place to tell her what she can and can't do.

Back at it again? What happened -- gave up on SuzyQ and you're going to start on me again.

And it's not YOUR place to tell me what I can and can't do. Practice what you preach.

Oh wait......as I recall, you called me out on that thread as being someone who she should look out for. Unfortunately, that thread was deleted by the moderator due to your nasty comment about me.

Hmmm....I missed sparklestar's helpful advice and thank her. But honestly, I already knew that.

Be careful what you say or you'll be under scrutiny as well. She'll turn on you in a minute. FYI. Also, if her 'advice' was really helpful, the mods wouldn't have deleted it! I hope you'll put me on ignore as well as I know you don't like people disagreeing with you either. I also thank you in advance.

When you didn't respond to her 'helpful advice' I was giving you credit for taking the high road. Sorry, my mistake.

I didn't respond because I meant what I had said in my final post. I never returned to that thread.

And no, I very rarely use the ignore function. So if YOU don't like my opinions or comments, then I suggest that you either not read them or put ME on ignore.

Looks like you just returned!! Guess I was right. Why don't you continue to align yourself with a poster that makes nasty personal remarks? I don't really care. I was talking about THiS thread where you had to graciously thank you friend and put me down at the same time.
Respected Contributor

Just so you know Reever, when I said "you can't" I mean "you" in general. I was not telling you what you personally can or can't do. Just so we are clear.

Honored Contributor

Looks like you just returned!! Guess I was right. Why don't you continue to align yourself with a poster that makes nasty personal remarks? I don't really care. I was talking about THiS thread where you had to graciously thank you friend and put me down at the same time.

k9buddy, remember when I mentioned reading comprehension on the OTHER thread? It's crucial to be able to understand what you're reading before you reply. Yes, I have and probably will return to this important thread.

What I said to you here in my last reply HERE (see above) was crystal clear: "I didn't respond because I meant what I had said in my final post. I never returned to that thread." The key would being "that" thread, not this one.

As for putting you down, you and another poster ripped me apart on THAT thread, you took the first punch, and you continued to ridicule me, all because I had an opinion about the topic that apparently didn't jibe with yours. I left that thread and did not return.

Oh, as for your contention that I am aligning with someone simply because I thanked them for advice? Sorry, I'm not really into that junior high school stuff.