Honored Contributor

Re: 8 Ways Gloria Steinem Improved Our Lives

On 3/29/2015 Crisso said:
On 3/29/2015 Lucky charm said:

Never looked up to her. I have great role models. My mother and sisters. I'm so glad I did!

Gloria Steinam chose to eat her young in order to get on with her life. They would've inconvenienced her, I suppose.

I can't even look at the pics of her. Ugly inside and out.

Yikes, that's a rather extreme reaction!! Like her or not, but to react this way rather than rationally speaking to the issues makes one wonder what hit you so hard on a personal level to attack her so personally. You don't know this woman and the life she has had. You may want to look at the link to a 2011 interview with Maria Shriver that I posted, above. She has had issue and events in her life that make her very much a human person like you and I.

I think the topic here was her contribution to history.

Crisso, if a woman makes that choice, that woman is in a sense dead to those who take their position to such an extreme.

And IMO, the mention of abortion in a thread is a corollary to Godwin's law. It usually takes over and ends the discussion.

I am forever thankful to women like Gloria Steinem who made it possible for women to have opportunities and choices that were unimaginable decades ago.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

Never looked up to her. I have great role models. My mother and sisters. I'm so glad I did!

Gloria Steinam chose to eat her young in order to get on with her life. They would've inconvenienced her, I suppose.

Yikes, that's a rather extreme reaction!! Like her or not, but to react this way rather than rationally speaking to the issues makes one wonder what hit you so hard on a personal level to attack her so personally. You don't know this woman and the life she has had. You may want to look at the link to a 2011 interview with Maria Shriver that I posted, above. She has had issue and events in her life that make her very much a human person like you and I.

No she has blatantly stated she had an abortion and couldn't make herself feel guilty no matter how hard she tried. She said it was the first time she had taken responsibility for herself the first time in her life.

I would say she had lost all responsibility at that point and it was just a false sense of her own insecurity. But that's my opinion of her.

Many share different views on the topic. I appreciate, however, you explaining what you did not like about her, rather that just lashing out as you did in your previous post.

Honored Contributor

On 3/29/2015 RealLoisLane said:

Not a big fan of hers!

Not all women think like she does and that's okay!

Women power does not have to come at the expense of marriage and men!

Who thinks that it does?

That's not even close to describing women who believe in equal rights and opportunities for themselves and their daughters. It's so incorrect that it's almost a parody a la Archie Bunker.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Frequent Contributor

Lucky Charm, I posted earlier with respect to Gloria Steinem's contributions to young girls, women & men the world over. As I stated, my grandmother, mother & aunt were all college educated in eras where women did not go beyond the 8th grade. I have them as role models & will be forever grateful to them for their loving & inclusive views on people as a whole! In your last post you state that because Ms. Steinem had an abortion that she must be a selfish, cold & uncaring person. That opinion is both unfounded in fact, but also shows you to be critical & judgmental in your attitude(s) toward your fellow human beings. You must have a very long list of women to hate as the statistics on abortion shows that approximately 30% of women have had an abortion. Many are medically necessary to save the life of the mother. Maya Angelou was right: When people show you who they are, believe them!!

Honored Contributor

Oh, also I owe feline groovy and everyone else here an apology for my involvement earlier that was totally off topic. I truly am sorry because I think this thread did not deserve such a diversion.

Super Contributor

On 3/29/2015 suzyQ3 said:

Crisso, if a woman makes that choice, that woman is in a sense dead to those who take their position to such an extreme.

And IMO, the mention of abortion in a thread is a corollary to Godwin's law. It usually takes over and ends the discussion.

I am forever thankful to women like Gloria Steinem who made it possible for women to have opportunities and choices that were unimaginable decades ago.

I think we posted at the same time! I agree about some posters trying to end the discussion, so I did not play it up. It is all a matter of "choice" how we handle matters and I believe we all have a "choice" Wink

Super Contributor

Oh, also I owe feline groovy and everyone else here an apology for my involvement earlier that was totally off topic. I truly am sorry because I think this thread did not deserve such a diversion.

Speaking for myself, you don't need to apologize for sticking up for yourself. I learned to ignore responding to a certain poster.

Trusted Contributor

Lol Crisso.
Honored Contributor

Accepted; thank you.