Honored Contributor

Dry face,  thinking of natural skin moistuizer, not sure, i use cerave, and others ,but when my skin is this dry, it burns my face, i use oils, any ideas?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Re: 68 yr.old skin issue

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest 

My skin is dry and living in a dry climate makes it even worse. About a couple of years ago I read about a supplement, here on this forum in fact, and the supplement is phytoceramides. I can't tell you how much it has helped my skin stay hydrated. The ceramides taken orally work their way to the skin where they integrate with our own natural ceramides. By increasing the skin's ceramide content then it helps the skin retain moisture and help prevent the skin from drying out. I am using less lotions and moisturizers since taking the phytoceramide supp. I won't go without them. They have really helped my skin. I take the one from pipingrock. But there are many other brands to choose from.

eta - Also, maintaining healthy levels of vitamin C in your diet will help keep oxidative stress levels low. Oxidative stress happens whenever sun damage occurs, which in turn causes ceramide levels to drop in our skin barrier. Topical VC will also help maintain moisture levels in the skin, particularly the MAP form of VC.

Respected Contributor
Andrew Lessman......Phytoceramides, Marine Collagen Peptides (powder) and Astaxanthin these have done amazing things for my aging 70 yr. old skin. I purchase them from HSN. Also you might try Josie Maran Argan Oil. Her serum for the eyes and face with her Light Argan Oil makes my skin so moisturized. It takes very, very little of each. I use it at night on top of my Vitamin C and Retin-A.
Honored Contributor

What cleanser do you use? And how often do you exfoliate? Those could be contributing to your issue. I can't remember whether you have told us about other medical issues that could be contributing, so please forgive me if you have.

Stinging means you've got sensitive skin. It's not just dry. It's hurting. You can even use plain old Vaseline to protect it. That's the most inert skin protectant there is. You need to get your skin back in balance and calm it down. So use very basic moisturizing products. Oil is probably not heavy duty or thick enough. Stinging and burning is a serious sign of distress.

Phytoceramide pills are great. I agree with @SilleeMee that they help get rid of dryness. Plus they work all over, so even your shins to your elbows look and feel better. I use rice PCD ceramides and wheat Ceramosides and I no longer have that chicken looking type skin anywhere. I am sure my face benefits from it, but the humectants and moisturizers I use already keep me from feeling or looking dry.

I'm also going to try oral hyaluronic acid, mainly to help with my tricky knee, but hoping it may help my skin too. Will report back eventually on results.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Re: 68 yr.old skin issue

[ Edited ]

A study on phytoceramides and skin can be found here. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5602416/

Second study of use of oral supplementation of wheat derived phytoceramides. It’s long. Head down to the CONCLUSION. Results are that this supplementation does hydrate the skin.

https://www.mdpi.com/2079-9284/4/4/37/pdf

Honored Contributor

I agree with @Porcelain  about cleansers and exfoliation. It sounds like it might me that your skin's mantle has been compromised somehow, especially when you say it burns. Even using hot water on the skin can damage the skin's mantle and many derms recommend staying away from hot water to cleanse.

Honored Contributor

A dermatologist is a good place to start.  My dry, itchy, sensitive face was a sign of my thyroid disease.  

Honored Contributor

A study on phytoceramides and skin can be found here. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5602416/

Second study on use of oral supplementation with phytoceramides derived from wheat. It’s long. Head down to CONCLUSION. Results are that this oral supplementation does hydrate the skin.https://www.mdpi.com/2079-9284/4/4/37/pdf

Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest  according to one dermatologist I follow, facial oils don't provide moisture but rather help trap moisture on the skin. Maybe if you were to use a good moisturizer first, then apply an oil (or not, depending if you still need one) this might help.

Trusted Contributor

@goldensrbest   Which Cerave product(s) are you using?  Their moisturizers have ceramides in them, in fact that's what makes them superior to so many other drugstore products.  I'm also wondering if the cleanser you use could be contributing.  Sounds like you have very sensitive skin like me.