Honored Contributor

Re: 60's Ladies~We Hope You'll Join Us!

[ Edited ]

I'm home! I left a little early. Our replacements arrived, and it wasn't too busy. I went to bed around 9 last night and slept well until about 2:30 AM when I heard a chirping noise. Yes, that's right...our smoke alarm! At first, I thought it was my imagination, but, of course it wasn't. DH and Max slept right through it. I went downstairs and read. Finally fell asleep, but woke up early. I'm tired, again, but  I still wanted to catch up....

@LTT1, I'm glad you're OK. Thank goodness DD and her family arrived safely too. Yay! You got out for a walk with your DH. Great news all around. Enjoy spoiling, shopping, and playing with your sweet babies!!

@RetRN, Three funerals? Im sorry. At least two of your friends lived a long life; bless them. I hope you're now able to enjoy the beautiful weather your having. Take care and have a great week!

@boyzs, (((hugs)))!!

@JustJazzmom, good luck with your plant sale. Im happy you'll get all the proceeds...you work hard and deserve it!

@patticakes, Welcome to our group! I think we all read for a while before joining in. I'm sorry you had a bad experience. You'll like it here, im sure, so I hope you come back soon!

@katte, I never freeze strawberries. I should, because they sure don't last long. Did you see @LTT1 recipe?

@Hayfield, Loved reading about your private events. Nice to have both casual and fancy. Do you go back to work tomorrow? I hope you had a relaxing day getting your nails done...I need it too!

@MariotaMurielle, After reading your post, my first thought was your DH should listen to the nurse! Lol! I'm glad you didn't have to dial 911 and now the pros will cut down your tree...you must be almost done with your book!

@snardy, Ive heard how hard it is to shovel snow. Your poor husband! I'm glad it's done snowing. I hope you get some warm, spring-like weather soon! So good to hear from you!

Waving Hi to Martie, Catwhisperer, Fancy and all our friends!!

~H~
Honored Contributor

@insomniac2 wrote:

Jumping in. . .I'll introduce myself by reviewing today's activities.

Went to therapy early this morning (knee replacement): grateful to have had the surgery, and the therapy is great!

Went to lunch with some other retired teachers (I did middle school for about 17 years, which I loved, and then taught high school for several years,  until derailed by a brain aneurysm).

Practiced with my friend Mary (we are a duo that performs piano duets, acapella vocal duets, poetry, and sing-a-longs at senior centers). (I also lead a choral group of about 30; we practice twice a month, and also perform twice a month (except during December, when we do about 15 programs).

I am secretary of a couple OLLI (Osher Lifelong Learning Institute) committees, and teach literature and music classes for them. I also have a readers theatre interest group.

I am secretary of a local library Friends group and am very involved in their twice-a-year book sales.

The rest of the time I READ.

@insomniac2, Sounds like you have a busy, fun life doing all the things you enjoy. I'm sorry to hear about your aneurism. I hope you are OK now. A little about me...My DH and I will celebrate 50 Years of marriage this October. I'm 68; I was a child bride! We have two children, a son and daughter and two grandchildren, a boy and girl.  I volunteer at our local hospital and love walking, gardening, decorating my house, shopping and cooking. I love to read too! I'm looking forward to seeing lots of posts from you whenever you can!

~H~
Trusted Contributor

@SleeplessinSD  Hi - I must have missed @LTT1's recipe.  Was it recent?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

good evening friends. today was a much more productive day for me than yesterday. I slept much better last night, so I had more energy today. today was a pedicure day for me too and tomorrow I will go for a cut & color. gotta love maintenance Smiley Happy

I worked on my decluttering project again today and it's beginning to look pretty good. we got curtains put up in that room this morning. I still have so much stuff that I really have no place to put, so my decluttering mission continues.

sounds like everyone has been pretty busy. I was exhausted after reading about insomniac2's day Smiley Happy.

I hope the house creaking has stopped in California for Catwhisperer and Helen, the rain in Texas for Lovestoteach, and the snow in Colorado for Snardy.

RetRN, 3 funerals? that's 3 too many for me. I hope you won't have to go to any more any time soon. like Helen said, at least 2 of the 3 people lived very long lives.

Katte, how nice of you to bake cookies for your DH's coworkers. what is your most popular cookie?

Justjazzmom, how did you learn so much about gardening? roses are so beautiful, but I've never attempted to grow any. I'm glad you will be able to put the snow shovel away.

Hayfield, we won't be able to get an estimate on the cost of cutting the tree down until the end of the week. we know it's going to be a lot of money, but DH has finally come to the realization that he's not 30 anymore and can't do some of the things he used to do. I read some interesting things on FB today about Mt. Vernon. it sounds like a fascinating place.

Helen, I read today that E7 fledged on the 16th and I watched the video of it. I missed it in real time. he flew away from the nest tree and did a circle around the field, and then came back and landed above the nest. E-8's turn should be soon. I'm about 1/2 through with Cornwell's Point of Origin.

I got a message today from the museum in Vicksburg about all those old photo's of my dad's that I posted on FB the other day...they are interested in making copies them for a permanent display in the museum. I will go over next week for them to look at them.

Boyzs, thank you for your very sweet and kind words. we're very happy to know that you're here with us every day, even if you don't post often.

Hi to Martie & Fancy, I hope you are both doing well.

special hellos to all our dear friends here.

here's a gulf coast sunset for you.

have a peaceful evening, y'all.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Respected Contributor

@katte wrote:

@SleeplessinSD  Hi - I must have missed @LTT1's recipe.  Was it recent?

me too Katte. I am curious about what it was, especially if it had to do with strawberries.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Honored Contributor

@MariotaMurielle I always enjoyed gardening as a hobby and about 15 yrs. ago our County Extension offered Master Gardener classes and I took the course and learned a whole lot more. Many of the lectures are given by professors or other people from the agricultural Universities (Cornell and SUNY Farmingdale) SUNY stands for state university of NY. We took field trips too and had written tests weekly. We had a lot of fun too. Then after the course was completed, I had to join one of the committees they had so I joined their rose committee and their xeriscape gardening committee. So the focus of being a Master Gardener is to help educate the public about gardening and proper gardening practices-- example don't fertlize the lawn with a high nitrogen fertilizer as soon as spring comes around, water deeply and slowly instead of watering for 20 minutes every other day with your sprinkler system. 

We realize that not everyone can do what we suggest but we have to put the correct info out there based on current research going on at Cornell U. I answer a lot of people's gardening questions online -- here at In the Garden and sometimes on the Garden forums over at houzz. And if I don't know the answer I try to point people to reliable sources on the Internet. Woman Happy

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@MariotaMurielle@katte...Loves recipe!

image.jpeg

~H~
Honored Contributor

Happy Wednesday!❤️

image.jpeg

~H~
Honored Contributor

How did you get all those finches to pose like that for you @SleeplessinSD?Woman WinkWoman Very Happy

It will be a busy day here-- folding clothes, doing my walk-- I managed to get in a 3/4 mile walk yesterday but not the daily 2 mile one. That gardening at roses took away a large chunk of the morning. I try to do the first mile in the AM then do the 2nd mile in the afternoon. It's better sometimes to break up exercise into doable pieces.

I may go outside and remove some more hydrangea branches that are dead today from 2 more hydrangeas. It's time consuming but worth it because the plants do not have to focus on maintaining dead stems but will be then forced to put out new growth on their live branches. Some stems have to be removed straight from the ground. Some just tipped off to green growth.

Anyway, have a wonderful day everyone!!

This is what one of the Hydrangea 'Blue Bird' looks like in bloom in June around here (I have 2):

Hydrangea serrata 'Blue Bird'.JPG

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

@SleeplessinSD  Oh, okay.  I saw this recipe.  I will definitely try it soon. Smiley Happy