Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: 60's Ladies~We Hope You'll Join Us!

Katte--It was so nice to read about you.  I've never been to Arizona but I do want to go at some point.  I've only flown over the Grand Canyon on the way to Vegas.  I'll share my story, though it's not very exciting!  I was born and raised in a small town about 20 miles east of Pittsburgh, Pa, so I am a big Steeler fan!  My DH is also from a small town in PA too and went to Univ. of Pittsburgh, he's a civil engineer.  We didn't meet until 1977 when he was home for the weekend and we got engaged after 6 dates and got married in 1978 and I moved to Northern Virginia and have lived here in the area since then.   I never went to college, I hated school, and just got a job in an office after high school graduation.  When I moved to Alexandria, VA, I got a job in another office.  Then I got a job in an appriasal office and got interested in appraising and took a few courses and because an appraiser and did that for about 20 years.  I decided to concentrate on raising our two children, a son, who'll be 30 in March, he works & lives in NYC and a daughter, 26, who's a special education teacher and just moved out!!!!!! They're both single and seem to enjoy the single life.  I try really hard to mind my own business when it comes to their lives, not an easy task!!  I am now a tour guide at Mount Vernon, the home of George & Martha Washington, it's my part time retirement job and I enjoy it, it's fun learning about 18th century life and more important it keeps me busy and I've made some friends since I started working there.  DH as worked for the government for 40 years and is thinking about retiring and he may get a contracting job or we may move a little further south, like North Carolina.  He's not sure what he wants to do.  We're both 61. 

Respected Contributor

Lovestoteach--Yes, DD moved out on Sunday and I haven't heard from her since!  I do have to send her a text message though as she has some mail here.  I know that she'll be out of town the next two weekends!  Your DD & my DD, the social butterflies!!!  That was sooo funny in your description, that you got married late at 28!!  That's not late, for you that was just right!!! 

Respected Contributor

Snardy--You asked if we were busy at work, no, this is our slow time of year, January & February.  It will start to get busy the 1st of March.  Right now I'm trying to learn a new tour, Dinner for the Washington's. it's a tour about, of course, food.   We talk about where the food comes from, how it's was preserved and stored, how it was prepared, and how it was served.  We take the visitors all over the estate, from the gardens, smokehouse, salt house, kitchen & the basment.  It's a lot to learn but it is very interesting.  It sounds like you're getting a lot of snow?  Ours is almost gone and I hope we don't get anymore big snows this year, we aren't equipped for it but I'm sure your area is. 

Trusted Contributor

@Hayfield  Enjoyed your post about your family and career.  Your retirement job at Mount Vernon sounds very interesting.  Lucky you to have such a fun job.  My husband and son are history buffs.  I haven't really been back East so to speak, only to visit my mom's family who lived in Massachusetts.  I am trying to convince my husband to take me to NYC sometime in the future.  I would love to see a broadway play and of course the various sites (one more item to add to my bucket list) Smiley Happy  I love animals and I'm a member of the ASPCA.  I rescued my two dogs from the local shelter 5  1/2 years ago and they are quite special.  I call them my "kids".  They are pointer/lab and are from the same litter. Bailey is the female and Blake the male.  My husband hasn't retired as yet.  He works for the County.  He was going to retire this year, but changed his mind.  I think he's a workaholic, oh well.  It is still pretty cold here, have been staying home, but today I need to go into town and get a few groceries, but probably won't do that until this afternoon. 

Hi to everyone and enjoy your day!

Honored Contributor

Hayfield, mani/pedi and facial--good for you! I'm glad you treated yourself. We really need to do that every once in awhile.

Helen47, thank you for the update on Spammom. I sure wish we would hear from Shorelady and KatCat1. Such nice ladies, I miss them all.

Hope everyone has a nice day. It is snowing here and looks so pretty out. Just glad I don't have to drive anywhere.

Honored Contributor

@SleeplessinSD@RetRN@katte@Hayfield@MariotaMurielle

Well, DBIL has been placed in a fully staffed nursing facility. He was moved yesterday, between 7-10pm.  

This may not be news to anyone but me, but a patient can stay in the hospital only for so long and they the hospital wants the "bed" for someone else.  DBIL will receive his radiation treatments for 2-3 weeks provided by the nursing facility.

The communication between different "entities" in the hospital could be a lot better... so many questions and not a lot of answers, but I am not the patient.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@SleeplessinSD@RetRN@katte@Hayfield@MariotaMurielle

Well, DBIL has been placed in a fully staffed nursing facility. He was moved yesterday, between 7-10pm.  

This may not be news to anyone but me, but a patient can stay in the hospital only for so long and they the hospital wants the "bed" for someone else.  DBIL will receive his radiation treatments for 2-3 weeks provided by the nursing facility.

The communication between different "entities" in the hospital could be a lot better... so many questions and not a lot of answers, but I am not the patient.

@LTT1, I'm glad to hear your DBIL got moved to a staffed nursing facility. it sounds like what we call a swing bed here. they are facilities for patients who require skilled nursing care but will need long term, chronic care. believe me, it's all about who will pay for what and how long they'll pay. it totally depends on what type of insurance he has. the important thing is that he's where he needs to be and can get the kind of treatment he needs.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Trusted Contributor

@LTT1 Hi - I know this is a trying time for you and your family, but I'm a pretty positive person and I'm sending positive thoughts and prayers to you and your family.  Hang in there.  He is now on the road to recovery and he will make over this tough hurdle that has crossed his path.  Best to you and yours Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@katte... Thank you so very much 💙💜❤️💚💛
Honored Contributor

@MariotaMurielle... Thank youSmiley Happy It sounds so much clearer coming from you. ITA ... DBIL is where he needs to be; this gives me a sense of ease.