Super Contributor

Re: 60's Ladies~Please Join Us For October!

Happy Saturday ...

Cold and rainy in WNY ... mid-40's to be exact. Good day to put on a pot of soup and make the house smell good. Have lots to do in the next couple of days including some work for a client - good thing. While my insurance covers a lot of the cost of treatment, there's a lot that isn't, believe it or not. Copays and "donut hole" expenses. Am feeling better, thanks for all your good wishes. I can feel every one of them! Sending them out to you, too.

What's your favorite kind of soup? I'm curious, and looking for some new ideas. Soup is such a good go-to.

I have a cherry-pineapple dump cake in the oven - told you I'm feeling perkier - to share with my loyal drivers and helpers. They won't bake for themselves, so it's the least I can do.

Wish you all lived closer. I'd have you all over for dessert and some good sharing.

Blessings to all,

Martie

Valued Contributor

Hi Everyone,  I have been having trouble posting.  I sign in before I post and when I have finished my reply and hit post, it asks me to sign in again.  Then my post disappears.  Is anyone else having this problem?  Does anyone know how to retrieve my lost reply?  Thanks for any help.  

~ Wherever life plants you, bloom with grace.~ French Proverb
Valued Contributor

Hi Friends,

Well, since my last reply posted, I am going to give this a go and see if I can post again.  I am enjoying all the fall pictures and photos you all are posting.  They are so nice.  Really gets me in the fall mood.  We are having fall-like weather now!  I see that some of you all are too.  I hope that those of you who are in the path of the bad storms don't get any severe weather.  Keep us posted.  It appears that our doggies aren't so fond of the cones they have to wear after all!  It's going to be a long three weeks!  Smiley Happy

Hayfield,  Red boots!  Wow!  They are my favorite.  I know you will get good use out of them.  Hope they keep your tootsies warm and dry.  Your birthday trip sounds great.  I know you will enjoy the wine train.  What will you do in San Francisco?  There's so much to see there.  Hayfield, thanks so much for taking the time to tell me about the GW house and the home tour.  I appreciate it so much. I am so interested.  

Loves,  Thanks for posting the beautiful pictures and photo.  I hope you are enjoying your cooler weather!

Helen,  Have a great weekend with your family.  It's so nice you have such a close family!

Ret RN,  It's nice to hear from you.  Take care!

Kat,  I hope your recovery is going well!  Let us know how you are doing when you can.  I am thinking of you.

Martie,  It's nice to hear you are feeling better!  Your dump cake sounds delicious.  Take good care.  You are in my prayers.

Hi to Homegirl and Spent2much,  It is so nice to have you join us!  I hope you will come back again!

Hi Fancy and Mocha and everyone else.  Have a great weekend.  Blessings to all!

Honored Contributor

@snardy Hi snardy! The one thing I can think of is if you have started typing a post it saves every few minutes. When you come back after losing connection you might check for a pink notice at the top which says "Saved session--LOAD OR DISCARD" HTH

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RetRN wrote:

Homegirl, it is nice to meet you. I believe you will enjoy this great group of ladies who have truly become friends.

Kat and Martie, I am thinking of you and sending well wishes.

I have finished my fall decorating, the last thing I did was put out my mum and  pumpkin by the garage. I turned on my fireplace last night and enjoyed the decorations and started thinking about working on a Christmas list. I went on a day trip to Door County with friends last week and bought some fruity fall wines, so I plan to enjoy a glass tomorrow while watching football.

Time to take my chicken pot pie out  of the oven now. I hope you all have a wonderful  weekend.

RetRN, we are on the same wavelength Smiley Happy . I found my burlap and straw scarecrow and put him by the front door. my pumpkins (fake) are still in the attic and I need to remind DH to get them down for me. I went to Lowes yesterday and bought purple pansies and yellow mums to plant by the front door too, but will do that next week.

I made a chicken pot pie last weekend when my DD was home.

I wish I could enjoy a nice glass of wine too, but since I have developed some sort of intolerance to alcohol of any sort, I will have to settle for hot chocolate.

isn't Door County famous for their cherry crop? I have heard that it's beautiful country and hope to see it one day.

it's a gray, misty day today so I'm staying in, reading Wuthering Heights and watching college football.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Esteemed Contributor

Martie, the only soup I know how to make is vegetable beef. I've made it so many times over the years that I have perfected the process, or at least my family thinks so.

2 things I've found that make a really big difference in the taste are: I always put in a ham bone or ham hock. and I use a can of beef consume' and a box of beef stock instead of adding any water. I think those two things gives the soup a deep, rich flavor.

oh that cherry-pineapple upside down cake sounds so good. wouldn't it be great with a fresh,hot cup of coffee?

glad to see that you're feeling better.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Valued Contributor

Loves, thank you very much. I will follow your advice the next time I have a problem! Good evening to you 

Honored Contributor

Saw some comments about Costco.  There is a tent set up on many street corners in our area because a new Costco is coming and they are selling memberships.  I'd like to know more about if from those who shop there. Is it a bulk type of store?  I don't want to have to buy a dozen toothbrushes or six bottles of One-A-Day just to save money.  I'm not even sure if it is primarily a grocery store or more like a Wal-Mart with a little bit of everything.  Please let me know why you shop there.

Respected Contributor

Good Morning!  Yesterday wasn't too bad, it just drizzled all day and the Wine Festival was well attended.  I'm working today and it looks like it's going to be a little bit like yesterday. 

AuntG--I've been shopping at Costco for over 20 years and yes, it is bulk shopping.  You have to pay for the membership and I know that they have different levels of membership.  I'm sure they'd give you a "free" 90 trial to try the place out, that's what they do around here.    I buy all my paper towels, napkins, etc., aluminum foil, wax paper, etc.  I buy some fruits and veggis there, it is in bulk, so it's only items I'll use quickly.  I also buy my coffee, peanut butter, etc.  I sometimes buy clothes there.  I recently was out shopping and someone asked me where I got my sweater, I told them "Costco", they have good prices on clothes but lately I haven't been buying as much as I don't need it or the quality has been going down for awhile but then the quality of clothing has been going down in other store where I shop too.  It all depends on what you needs are whether Costco would be a good value to you.  Everyone's different and I have equal amounts of friends that like Costco and those that don't like Costco.  They have a pharmacy there too, gas is also cheaper at Costco.  Check it out and see if a store like this would be worth to you to join.

Honored Contributor

Good Morning!

We had a great time yesterday with my family. Luckily my sister has a huge backyard because with nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles and grandchildren, we needed the room, it was a day filled with good food, lots of picture taking, catching up and, of course, football. We decided to drive home last night because we heard it would rain today and it is, yay!!

MARTIE, I love soup, really year round. But, in the Fall, it's a given. I make vegetable soup too, with really no recipe, but years ago I heard/read to add V-8 juice and I always do. It gives it a tomatoey, spicy flavor that's so good. I also make Corn Chowder. It's so good and easy. I'll have to look for the recipe. I hope you're having a good day....

AUNTG, Hi! So good to hear from you. As far as Costco goes, like HAYFIELD, I never get out of there without spending around 200.00. It's especially good if you entertain. We also buy wine there. There's a couple favorites that we get at a good price. I get my prescriptions, both eyes and medical at a good price.  At Christmas and other occasions, I can always find a nice gift. Yes, you will buy most things in bulk, but if they aren't perishable and you have the room to store, it's cheaper in the long run. A trial membership might be the way to go for you....good luck!

Hi RetRN! You sound like you're feeling better, decorating and taking a trip with friends. Great news! I know you're recovery was long. I've never heard of Door Co., but I'm sure I'd love going; you always take fun trips.  Enjoy the wine you brought home. A perfect way to sit and enjoy your fireplace!

HAYFIELD, have a great day at work. It won't be long and you'll be on your way to San Francisco/Napa....just perfect for celebrating your birthday!

MOCHAHONEY, we're enjoying some long awaited Fall weather too. I agree, I'm sure it won't last. I hope you and your DH have a great weekend!

SNARDY, oh no! Three weeks wearing cones? My Max would fight it every step of the way too. Good luck! LOVES advice about your posts is what I'd suggest too. Are you using an IPad? I think I've only lost a couple, and with one, it was my fault. I hit Cancel by mistake. Thank you for hanging in there...I look forward to your posts. Enjoy your beautiful Fall weather!

well, better close...I didn't mean to write a "chapter!" Want to say Hi to CATWHISPERER, LOVES, KAT, SHORELADY, SPAMMOM, HOMEGIRL (Welcome!), MISTIC, Whatnow, VAbelle, Spend2Much, and everyone I'm sorry not mentioning...

~H~