Respected Contributor

Re: 60's Ladies~Please Join Us For January!

Helen47 & Mochahoney--I have read all of Patricia Cornwall's books with the character Kay Scarpetta, I love the charater and so many locations take place in Virginia, where I live.  I can't remember how long ago I started reading her books but I do suggest you read the series from the beginning as some story lines are woven through the series.  I've read over the years that a movie was going to be made and I would love that.  I think someone like Julianne Moore or Kate Winslet, even though she's English, would make a great Kay Scarpetta.

Respected Contributor

@CalQFan wrote:

Good morning ladies

Happy Saturday!   

Last night I went and listened to some music with a couple of lady friends.  They too are retired and both are married, so it was a rare treat for all of us to go out together at night.  Interesting, I have very few single friends/acquaintances (women) who are around my age, or older and live near me.  I was married for over 25 years, single for many and then had a long-term relationship/engagement with a great man who died about  2 years ago. My friends think I still have much to offer someone and should try to meet someone via on-line dating!!!! I am not too sure about that....?????

They talked about how great it would be to be able to do things with me in "couples settings".  

Yikes.  I  sometimes barely have the energy (autoimmune illnesses) to take care of me. Relationships take energy.  Another thing to think about. But kind of low on my list right now. 

Ladies - be well, or as well as you can, and have a great week-end !

Edited to add thanks @SleeplessinSD and @MariotaMurielle for your book recommendations!

I have my "girlfriends" that I just do things with them, things my DH doesn't like to do, all my "girlfriends" currently are married.  I do have girlfriends that I socialize with them and our DH's but the four of us have to "click".  So I don't see where you have to have man in your life to social with them, unless you want companionship and want someone special in your life.  I have a friend that's a widow and another friend who's divorced, they both are content and enjoy their lives the way they are.  I'm heading up to NYC next weekend with a girlfriend to see a Broadway show, my DH doesn't enjoy going to Broadway shows and I do, so I go with my girlfiends. 

Honored Contributor

image.jpeg

~H~
Super Contributor

Happy Sunday ...

So glad I inspired some of you to cleann yesterday, but I didn't finish anything. Much to my great dismay, my cold has returned so I spent much of the day sneezing and coughing. I'll be so glad when my system gets back to normal and I can shake a cold in 3 days.

We're gearing up for another snow storm ... maybe a foot or two of snow by Tuesday. If course, I'm back on the road tomorrow for more treatments ... 3 down, 17 to go.

I find that gently icing the zapped spots helps. I had the brilliant idea to cut an old, fluffy towel into strips about 8"x4". Then I wet them, wrung them out, doubled them up, put them in a zip-lock freezer bag. As I've needed them, I just took out the whole packet, wrapped it in a kitchen towel, and used it util it thawed. Then put it back in the freezer. I thought it was a great idea, actually.

Everyboday, have a great day. I'm sending gentle thoughts your way.

Blessings,

Martie

Contributor

Happy Sunday afternoon !

@Hayfield. Thanks for your reply.  Yes when I was married, and also with my fiance, I did go out occasionally with my "girl friends".  Some were married and some were single.  This friend is a fairly new friend.  She has been married for a long time and really can't imagine being single.  They have a motor home, boat and enjoy the outdoors together.  I had mentioned how I miss doing those things which I did in my "other" life when I had a partner.  (We live in California where there are so many "outdoor" opportunities.)   think she was trying to suggest how I could do those things again - and because she and I have a great time together - she thinks it would be fun for us to also do things in a "couples" setting.

I am truly FINE without a partner/man.  She has said she admires how I deal with life as a single.  I am not rushing out to meet a man.  I think my wishful thinking made her think I am lonely or need a man.  Not true.  LOL - she even said she would help me write my profile and take pics for me.  I am going to have a nice talk with her and say I am happy with the time we spend together doing "girl" things.

As for me, my current goals are de-cluttering and getting back to exercising and eating better and getting my general health under control.    I also spend time with my grandchildren and volunteer within my community a little bit.  LOL - where would a MAN - fit in'????

Honored Contributor

Just stopping by for a few...hope everyone is having a good day doing whatever makes you happy.😊

@Hayfield, I've read all the Scarpetta books too. I have to say I enjoyed her earlier ones the best. Did you know she also (Patricia Cornwall) has a book out with her Italian recipes? She was always cooking some yummy Italian dishes in her books. Both the actresses you mention would make a great Scarpetta. I wonder who would play Benton, her husband, the profiler. He always sounded so handsome. I'd love a movie! Sounds like you and your DH had a great day all around at the winery...those little hole in the wall places always have the best food. I'd love to be a club member..our DS is, so we usually tag along with them and enjoy their benefits.

@CalQFan, I can't imagine another man in my life if anything were to happen to my DH. But, I've also learned never say never. I agree with Hayfield. I have divorced, and widowed friends. We still enjoy, as before when they had husbands, getting together just girlfriend time.  i guess whatever makes you happy...everyone's different.

@MartieHugs, What a great idea freezing the towels. Sounds like they would be soft on the affected areas. Gosh, up to two feet of snow...again, wishing you and the dear person driving you to your appts. safe travels. 

BBL!❤️

~H~
Esteemed Contributor

hello friends. it's a little late, so I'm really just popping in to wish everyone a pleasant night. I felt much better today but still a bit tired, so I "allowed" myself a day of pretty much doing nothing. I basically watched football all day (yea Broncos!) , then Downton Abbey. a full day of rest. I'm sure tomorrow I will be back to one or more of my household projects and Tuesday I have the appointment with the insurance agent about choosing a medicare supplement and prescription coverage plan.

the woman who took the cat sent me a photo of her in her new house. she says the cat is calm and seems to be quite settled already.

here's a sunset at Grenada Lake, Mississippi

have a peaceful evening, y'all.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MariotaMurielle, I'm glad you're feeling better. You needed rest. Thanks for posting the photo of kitty...I know you're glad he has a good home. He looks happy😊

ETA...sorry, she!

~H~
Respected Contributor

Good Morning!  Well, DH, DD & DS all have off today and I'm going to work!  Something wrong about that!  We may be busy since the schools have today off also, we'll see, it's going to be cold.  I've started to watch the weather forecast, I'm heading to NYC, hopefully, on Saturday to see Fiddler on the Roof with my friend.  They're calling for snow but it's to early to tell how much.  Keep your fingers crossed that it doesn't snow so much that I can't get there and back!  We went up last year in January and it was cold, snowy & slushi but the roads weren't bad, so we made it up and back O.K. 

Respected Contributor

Helen47--I'm going to spend the day thinking about what actor should play Benton!  Have you ever read the Alex Cross books?  Alex Cross is a detective in D.C. and solves murders, love Alex Cross and when they made the movies, Morgan Freeman played Alex Cross and I've always thought Denzel Washington would've made a better Alex Cross, or even Blair Underwood but not Morgan Freeman, just my opinion, of course.