Respected Contributor

Re: 60's Ladies........Come Join Us For November!

Good Morning! I got those two bathrooms cleaned yesterday, I hate to clean bathrooms and DH and I got to the gym. Today, we'll go to the gym again, then do a little cleaning and we'll be going down to Occoquan, it's a quaint little village about 10 minutes from me where they have the best little wine store. They're having a special wine tasting of wines to go with your Thanksgiving dinner. I have most of my wine, 2 bottles of white, 2 bottles of rose' but would like to get a light red to go with the turkey too for anyone who enjoys a red. They'll be 13 for dinner so I want to make sure I have enough wine for everyone. Oh, I don't know if I mentioned it or not but we're heading back to PA Thursday morning for Thanksgiving with my brother, nephew (I'll get to meet his new girlfriend) and friends. I haven't had Thanksgiving with my brother since 2005. DS gets in from NYC tomorrow. I have to give him a call today to tell him to call DH to pick him up. I'm working tomorrow and I can't leave early. DH is the boss at his office, so he can do what he wants. I don't think the four of us have to to PA together since DS went off to college in the fall of 2004.

Mochahoney--I really don't have that much energy. Yesterday, after the gym and cleaning the two bathrooms, I took a shower, went to the store to pick up a few things, then rested the rest of the day. I'm on my feet a lot at work, so I try to pace myself with doing things and getting my feet up. It just sounds like I do a alot. I only work part time, I could never do my job full time, too much time on my feet. It's a great part time job and I love it. I want to keep doing it as long as I can. Since I have mild arthristis in my left knee I've been more careful. That's why I go to the gym as much as I can, it does help to strengthen the muscles around the knee. The pain went from a 10 to a 2 when I started to work out regularly. I also lost 18 lbs. to get the pressure off the knee too. Going out without makeup is brave. When I'm being lazy, I'll just go out with a tinted moisturizer. Also glad to hear your DH may make it back for Thanksgiving.

Respected Contributor

Helen47--Glad you're feeling better. You don't want to be sick for the holidays. Wegmans is like a Whole Foods but on a much larger scale. Wegmans started up in Rochester, NY, I think and it's family owned. It's just on the east coast, I think. I live in Northern VA, about 20 miles south of DC and I think that this is the furtherest south that Wegmans has gone. They have stations located in the store where you can have meals, they'll cook it right there in front of you. You can specialty order almost anything you want. All their departments are to die for, I could spend all day in the cheese department! They were giving out samples the other day and of course I bought everyone I sampled. The new one that they're building about 15 minutes from me is going to have a pub in it. I can't wait for that.

FancyPantsy--Yes, I just love Wegmans. DH and I are thinking about retiring in the Wilmington, NC area in a few years and Wegmans would be one of the things that would keep me here in the DC area! I love Wegmans! DS lives in NYC and I'm also able to go visit him 4-5 times a year and I won't be able to get up to NYC as much if we move further south. He only comes at Thanksgiving & Xmas, so he'd still make those trips. It's a hard decision, stay or go! DH came in 1976 after graduating college and I've been here since 1978, the year we got married. I admit, I'm torn about what to do!

Honored Contributor

mochahoney... my take on the decreasing number of posters might be that life seems to keep getting more complicated so everyday stuff takes more time? I know I am extremely grateful for the sharing that has occurred on these boards -- they have saved me time and money... and they have booster my morale in needy moments! When we first became empty-nesters, I would find everybody gone from here when I was just becoming available! This made me feel a little like a "weirdo" but it was nice to form friendships with the few who were available, too!

When my health is failing, which tends to occur with sinus issues that recur, I find myself scrambling back for more creative ideas... and it is morale-boosting! I do feel oddly empty when someone doesn't return without explanation...

This morning I re-did the new Q garland and it is now fun... sinuses are getting better. Yesterday and early this am I was almost in a panic... I CANNOT GET SICK! There is so much to do -- my house is a continual mess (see next post)

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

con't: mess due to my working, running out of energy and yet still collecting the VB. I'm hooked on VB -- its the hobby which will sustain me after I retire. I like the USA-made, perfect vintage items... the textiles and the cotton are just so beautiful! At this time of year, more people seem to be selling/buying these!

Hayfield... I will be reading your posts in order to get motivated to exercise!

Helen... I hope you are gaining strength as you recover from flu

cindy and SPAMMOM... oh, my thoughts are with you and corismom and shorelady.

Katcat... when I read your posts I have to marvel at your exciting life!

Super Contributor

mocha........I just stopped by to quickly read some of the posts and saw your concern about the number of posters. I have found that on long-running threads like this, the posters seem to fall into three categories: the daily posters, the spurt posters and those who drop by occasionally. I consider myself the "spurt" poster. I may post quite frequently and then maybe not at all for a while. Especially now, I am knee-deep in legal work, and my mind is elsewhere. Many of our ladies are going through difficult health problems (or other difficult problems) and may not feel up to it. I have a feeling that they still do drop by to read as I do. But as long as we have posters here who we have bonded with and who are our cyber friends, then this thread will go on and survive, just as many other similar threads have. Personally speaking, this thread has been a wonderful support group for me during this sad time.

From past experience, I have also noticed that the threads may not be as active as usual since everyone is preparing for the holidays.

Again, Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Respected Contributor

good morning ladies and happy sunday.

i wonder too about the number of posters, mocha. sometimes i think i am 'talking' too much and monopolizing the 'conversation' ... you know? i come on here and i type what seems like an anthem, and then i think to myself ... i wonder if that is appropriate? am i giving others enough time and space to post?

so for today i am just going to say hello and wish you all a good day ... and i truly do hope that some of the posters who haven't been around much will pop in and say hello.'

have a good day everyone

{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Honored Contributor

fantsy pantsy... I never know about that too... its always, was that enough or was that too much? Personally, I love it when I can read about others -- including their musings! So, I guess if I don't have anything exciting that I DID, perhaps I at least can share my thoughts. The DOING part in my life, at this time, is not very exciting to relate! (ie: today I graded papers -- ewwww, yuk!)

Honored Contributor

Good Morning, Ladies.

Overcast day -- yuk!

loves, you must be mistaking me with someone else! ha! If you call playing Bingo sometimes twice a week and shopping at Kohl's exciting, you must live in a remote area. I live by myself, have an adorable cat, fortunate to have four dear, wonderful friends so yes, I am blessed with this in my life. However, that is so sweet of you to say that by reading my threads. I think you are blessed to have little Lexi in your life.

Now I have a question for anyone that cares to answer. Last year (Dec. 30) I was gasping for air and my cousin drove me to the hospital. On the way there she asked if she could drop me off. Do you think that was rude of her to ask? I was offended by it and the fact that she did not call once to ask me how I was feeling so I said something to her. Was I wrong? Oh, she stopped talking to me. I was in the hospital for 4 days.

I wrapped two gifts yesterday. My little tree this year will have green mercury bulbs on it and I bought a red cardinal ornament from Pottery Barn that has a little green Elf outfit on. I thought that would look cute with the green bulbs and a red bow at top w/white lights. It's just the tabletop tree. The trees stands in a pot with burlap around it.

Organizing & cleaning today. Enjoy your Sunday, ladies.

kindness is strength
Regular Contributor

Hi everyone,

Just stopped by to catch up & wanted to check in, even though I don't have anything very exciting going on. I hope I don't sound like a "downer".

Like so many others, we had a lot of snow & cold temps - travel advisories & all the schools were closed for 3 days. Nothing like Buffalo, but enough to cause problems. Just rain today & tomorrow.

I'm really looking forward to seeing all my kids & Grands on Thanksgiving. We're going to DD's (which fortunately is becoming a tradition, since she took over hosting Christmas, Easter & Thanksgiving from me). I am praying that I won't still be contagious. It is not going to be easy to keep my distance from my Grands, especially my newest DGD - can you believe she is already 4 months old? Everyone usually stays on into the weekend & DH & I may stay too, but it will depend on how I feel. I definitely don't want to overdo & have a relapse of this horrid bug!

I finished the antibiotic Friday - the fever, sore throat & earaches are gone, but I'm still battling the sinus infection & cough. Really, I think I had the flu along with everything else. I had to re-schedule several doc's & dentist's appointments for this coming week & next, because I was too sick to go! In fact, I haven't even been out of the house in over 2 weeks. Lightheaded & I haven't had much of an appetite, haven't cooked anything - DH has been bringing home fast food every night. Between that & the ice cream I ate by the bucketful to soothe my throat, I didn't lose any weight at all.

Spammom, Corismom, Cindy and all our friends with health issues, I think of you everyday & pray you are doing well & improving.

Helen (sounds like you dodged the worst of the flu bug?), Mocha, Kat, Loves, RetRN, Hayfield, Shorelady, Fancy, and all our friends who post here, I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Stay safe, everyone!

Honored Contributor

I'm trying to figure out what to make for breakfast. DH just took Max for a short walk. I'll be back later when I have more time to catch up, but just wanted to add my take on fewer posters. I agree with SHORELADY about the different categories. While I think some just stop by to read posts regularly, they wait to have something meaningful (for them) to post. Some, like me, just like to check in and let you all know I'm thinking of you and say hello. My life is not that "interesting" (-; I do also think for new posters, at least it was this way for me, unless they post often and regularly feel they get lost in our conversations. I felt very welcome when I first started posting, but I know it took a while for me to feel a regular part of the group. Whatever, peoples lives get busy, take different turns, etc. I am so grateful for the people I've come to "know" here and will do all I can to keep it going. KAT, in answer to your question...I read a quote (I think on Facebook) that said something like this...we expect people to do for us because we know we would do the same for them. I know I've worded it wrong, but I think your cousin hurt you because if the situation were reversed, you would have never thought of just dropping her off and to make it worse not even call. I tend to go above and beyond for people I care about, like I'm sure you probably do too, but I've been let down many times by people not doing the same. I do think they care, just not the way I expect them to. No matter, it hurts just the same, and I don't blame you for being hurt. This is my take, anyway......Thankfully, we're all blessed in so many ways...you're tree sounds really cute and "Christmassy"! Waving to everyone!
~H~