Occasional Contributor

60 and getting married in May

I am 60 and getting married in May. I was going to go and get a slight tan, but my daughters say that the tanning will emphasize the wrinkles. They told me that I should get my face airbrushed instead. I have never had that. Anyone out there been airbrushed lately? Will it really help with the pictures. It is going to be a small wedding. I am wearing an ivory lace dress that goes down to the middle of my knee. Any ideas on hair styles? My hair is a little below my shoulders. I don't like wearing it up. Thanks for any help. I don't want to look like a 60 year old bride that is trying to look 20 Smiley Sad

Frequent Contributor

Re: 60 and getting married in May

I can't help with your questions but did want to wish you all of the best! Relax, enjoy yourself and I wish you many years of health and happiness with your new partner.

Respected Contributor

Congratulations!

I've never been airbrushed, but I would do it now and see how you like it before trying it for the first time for your wedding!

I know I am so pale and never tan that I wouldn't look natural.

For hairstyles, look for some pics online and print them off. Again, I'd try the hair-do way before the wedding to see if you like it first. Sometimes I want something I see, have it done and then hate it on me!

Super Contributor

Congratulations.

I don't have any advice on airbrushing, but I have found some of the new line blur products (such as the one from garnier) plus a CC really make my skin look great without looking overly made up.

I would strongly advise (to perhaps state the obvious) that you should experiment a lot between now and the wedding - and wear whatever you try all day to see if it has staying power. Sometimes what looks good first thing, doesn't look so great 6 or 8 hours later.

As for your hair - you don't say if you hair is straight or curly, thick or thin or how you usually wear it. You could try something half up - or curled and swept to one side with maybe a flower or something with some sparkle or pearls (a comb or barrette) for visual interest.

Again congratulations, I hope it's a beautiful ceremony and the beginning of a wonderful new chapter.

Michele

Respected Contributor

Why not go get a "slight" tan now? Then you can see how you look,how it wears,and if it looks good with your dress. Then,if you like it,just keep the tan going through to the wedding so you Will be used to doing your makeup with the tan,etc.If you find it's not for you,it will be gone by the happy day. Congratulations and much happiness to you!!
Esteemed Contributor

Best to You!

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

Congratulations!!! Enjoy your day as I am sure you will look beautiful.

Valued Contributor

Congratulations!! I had my face air brushed for my son's wedding and I just loved the results. One less thing to worry about. Why don't you wear your hair half up? The important thing is that you have a wonderful day.

Honored Contributor

Congratulations! Wishing you and your husband to be many happy years together. Do you have your hair layered? Layering can make you look younger. a pretty hairpin to hold one side back would look nice and wear a small or med. pair of earrings perhaps pearls. Enjoy your wedding and honeymoon.

P.S. Your daughters gave you good advice on the air brushing. I have not had it done but your skin looks flawless. Keep your eye makeup, blush & lipstick light and fresh. Most importantly, have fun!

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

I think, even though you don' like wearing your hair up, for such an important day, it would be so nice to curl your longish hair into loose curls (with a twist), and still pin it up, loosely, with few of the locks still cascading down from the back, but not so much from the front, maybe just a little bit. Try it before the wedding day couple of times, see how you like it.

Ivory color pearl stud, or low dangling pearl earrings would be nice and special with your wedding dress. Probably even better than diamonds. You may even weave a strand of pearls into your hair do - very beautiful and very special for the occasion!

For the face, yes take care of your skin the best you can. Plus, foundation makeup these days is so much better, than it used to be in the past. There are quite a few products, that will make skin tone really beautiful and glowing. But, they may set into the wrinkles and lines, especially after couple of hours, and may show wrinkles you don't even have. So, which ever foundation you'll choose to use - use it very lightly - air brush very light coat, don't not rub it in too strong or too much. If you have areas you need more cover for, use spot cover there, but not allover the face.

You may try to find time and go to Sephora and request a make up artist to experiment and find right foundation make up for you. The makeup counters in department stores also can do test makeover, I am not sure if they have as much of a selection as Sephora stores.

For the make up, do it very light and natural looking, emphasizing your best feature - if it is your eyes, then focus on them, and do your lips with very natural and close to your lip tone color. If your best feature is the mouth, than go light on eyes and focus on the lips instead. No metallic or shimmering eye shadows or lipsticks - go matte natural shadows, soft eyeliner, juicy lips.

Do not forget the eyebrows! They are number one feature on your face! Correctly done eyebrows ensure symmetry of the entire face and tie everything together. Symmetry is a corner stone of beauty!

Congratulations and have the Best Day of Your Life!

p.s your daughter may have a good point on tanning, it could visually emphasize wrinkles and also dry out your skin. Besides why go darker? Go lighter and glowing!